anyone NOT use mineral?

Help Support CattleToday:

What ever he's doing it's wrong. Angus you need somebody to help you, call your county ex. agent. Your spending 10 times as much as you need to.

hooknline":3dq7giu5 said:
In one sentence you say it's not a protein tub, in the other you say it is.
What your talking about is a feed suppliment protein tub with minerals in it.
Not loose minerals.
And then you say your spending 6k a year. But theyre only eating 500 lbs a month. Those tubs would be 250 bucks each. Unless your leaving more details out and not even sure what it is you're putting out.

Crystalyx calls it a mineral tub with protein in it, not me. In fact, you can get various levels of protein in your mineral tub. They are designed so that they get all the mineral they need with whatever protein level you think your hay lacks.

The 500 lbs a month was a wrong number, it's 1000 lbs - 4 tubs a month - my deepest regrets for the innacuracy. They are about $120 each.

Now that we've picked all the fly shyt out of the pepper - does anyone NOT use mineral and what's your experience?

highgrit":2mcte90q said:
What ever he's doing it's wrong. Angus you need somebody to help you, call your county ex. agent. Your spending 10 times as much as you need to.

Already did - my ag extension agent questions the overall value of minerals. They crystalyx rep says they are eating the required amount per head to be effective and suggested I drop a salt block on the top of each tub (even though the directions say not to). Now they aren't eating enough to get the required dose of IGR or Bovatec in their gut. My vet buys the same tubs.

Does anyone NOT use mineral and what do you see?

angus9259":ct4sgz2c said:
highgrit":ct4sgz2c said:

Already did - my ag extension agent questions the overall value of minerals. They crystalyx rep says they are eating the required amount per head to be effective and suggested I drop a salt block on the top of each tub (even though the directions say not to). Now they aren't eating enough to get the required dose of IGR or Bovatec in their gut. My vet buys the same tubs.

Does anyone NOT use mineral and what do you see?
All the Crystalyx tubs we ever used said to keep plain salt out all the time. Did they not have salt also?

"ALL CONSUMPTION FIGURES STATED HERE ARE APPROXIMATE. PROVIDE FREE ACCESS TO CLEAN, FRESH WATER AT ALL TIMES. CRYSTALYX® BGF-30™ SUPPLEMENT CONTAINS NO SALT. PROVIDE SALT FREE CHOICE. "

Loose mineral and loose salt is all I use . Your feeding protien tubs and they don't have enough mineral in it . I put out about 12 bags a year of salt and 12 bags a year of mineral on 50 head . Some times they go a month with out touching it and others I have to fill it 2 times in a month . Stop Useing tubs and go loose mineral etc . Cows can't get enough salt from a block .

JSCATTLE":2uk99y8i said:
Loose mineral and loose salt is all I use . Your feeding protien tubs and they don't have enough mineral in it . I put out about 12 bags a year of salt and 12 bags a year of mineral on 50 head . Some times they go a month with out touching it and others I have to fill it 2 times in a month . Stop Useing tubs and go loose mineral etc . Cows can't get enough salt from a block .

You sure that's what you meant to say?

3waycross":3g96918i said:
JSCATTLE":3g96918i said:

You sure that's what you meant to say?
From a block it would take a real long time of licking to get any real amount of salt.

I can see it taking forever to get enuf mineral from a block but Salt. Last time i looked it dissolves pretty readily. If they werehn't getting enuf salt I would have to think they would stand there and lick it till it was gone.

3waycross":ls3l4okw said:
I can see it taking forever to get enuf mineral from a block but Salt. Last time i looked it dissolves pretty readily. If they werehn't getting enuf salt I would have to think they would stand there and lick it till it was gone.
If other cows don't run her off she will stand there until she gets tired of licking anyway. ;-) Don't know if she gets all she wants or needs. They're just too darn hard.

JSCATTLE":lpvjsrlu said:

Crystalyx rep says the do have enough mineral in it when taken at the correct intake rate - that said - he might not know what he's talking about.

Problem with loose - I lose too much to weather and don't have indoor feeding area. Will have to look at loose mineral feeder maybe.

CKC1586":3he22tj3 said:
What about selenium? If you drop the mineral supplement how you gonna get enough selenium to them???

Good question. My question: do they need it? As mentioned - plenty of folks around here just put out salt or nothing and don't seem to have any more or less problems than I do.

tom4018":3lwlxdxz said:
All the Crystalyx tubs we ever used said to keep plain salt out all the time. Did they not have salt also?

"ALL CONSUMPTION FIGURES STATED HERE ARE APPROXIMATE. PROVIDE FREE ACCESS TO CLEAN, FRESH WATER AT ALL TIMES. CRYSTALYX® BGF-30™ SUPPLEMENT CONTAINS NO SALT. PROVIDE SALT FREE CHOICE. "

Interesting. My tubs (containing IGR and Bovatec) when you put salt out they eat less than necessary to get the IGR or Bovatec to work. Need to look into that some more though. Adding salt free choice along with the mineral has certainly dropped the mineral consumption out here. Then how do you know they're getting all the mineral they need?

Seeing my feed guy today as I switch to the IGR tubs. Will see what they say.

angus9259":ygx9bx3p said:
Interesting. My tubs (containing IGR and Bovatec) when you put salt out they eat less than necessary to get the IGR or Bovatec to work. Need to look into that some more though. Adding salt free choice along with the mineral has certainly dropped the mineral consumption out here. Then how do you know they're getting all the mineral they need?

Seeing my feed guy today as I switch to the IGR tubs. Will see what they say.

Don't know what kind of mineral you're using but salt can be used both as an attractant and a limiter depending on how much is in the mix. If you're putting out salt free choice look for a mineral with "no salt". If the cattle still don't eat enough of the mineral add small amounts of cottonseed meal and/or dried molasses to it to encourage a little more intake.

I use a middle of the road loose mineral during calving and breeding the other time which is summer i use a little lesser mineral with IGR my cost per yr on 30 cows is about $800 usually about $21 a bag yr round. I do give them 2 shots of MultiMIn which has the extra selenium and other things they need for breeding and calving which will cost me about $3.50 per cow per yr for the 2 shots which i think is cheaper than going to a high dollar mineral during those times.

We have trace mineral / salt blocks out all year. During calving until grass, Feb.- May 1(Grass), we put out 30% (REPROMUNE) protein tubs with chelated minerals.

$1,500 a year for 60 cow / calf pairs,10-15 replacement heifers, 2 herd bulls, 10-15 seedstock bulls, annually.

Thanks all. Very helpful. My takeaways -

1. salt free choice no matter what.
2. bovatec on the whole herd is a waste - they won't eat enough to make it work or, if they do, it's too expensive.
3. overall, my mineral costs simply don't have to be as high as they are for good results.
4. I don't have to eliminate mineral altogether to run an economical program

angus9259":3a99amst said:

2. bovatec on the whole herd is a waste - they won't eat enough to make it work or, if they do, it's too expensive.
3. overall, my mineral costs simply don't have to be as high as they are for good results.
Sounds like you have it figured out .

angus9259":3oze1e3f said:

I think you have all the fly shyt picked out now

Latest posts