anyone NOT use mineral?

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I spent $6000 on mineral this year - had to sell 8 calves even at these record prices to just pay the mineral bill. I've always used a crystallix program of IGR Max in the spring summer to get fly control and Mg. I use bovatec tubs in the winter for extra feed efficiency and protein contribution. It certainly appears I struggle with health issues no less than any of the locals who don't use any mineral at all. Seriously considering abandoning the mineral ship and just putting out salt blocks, using other means of fly control and using good hay (which is standard operating procedure). I know that's anathema but I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there who's not using mineral and whether or not the sky has fallen?

heath":24eqw3v3 said:
How many cows is that mineral bill for?

I had it calculated at one point - that particular bill I believe was over 30 head. It was right in the window of necessary intake for either the bovatec or IGR for proper application rate.

angus9259":fvm7lrg4 said:
I spent $6000 on mineral this year - had to sell 8 calves even at these record prices to just pay the mineral bill. I've always used a crystallix program of IGR Max in the spring summer to get fly control and Mg. I use bovatec tubs in the winter for extra feed efficiency and protein contribution. It certainly appears I struggle with health issues no less than any of the locals who don't use any mineral at all. Seriously considering abandoning the mineral ship and just putting out salt blocks, using other means of fly control and using good hay (which is standard operating procedure). I know that's anathema but I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there who's not using mineral and whether or not the sky has fallen?
That's mineral only are alsoinclude the protein tubs etc?? If you're going to use "salt blocks" only you might as well delete that from the feeding program as well. Just another unnecessary expense but seeing all those blocks out in the field will make you feel good. Bovatec on mature cattle is pretty much a waste as well.

angus9259

We run 100 head and keep 3 50 lb blocks of American Stockman Big 6® Trace Mineral Salt Block in front of them year round. Cost $5.99 per block and they go through an average of 1 per month.

And that is all I would recommend anyone do unless they can conclusively show why they need to do other wise.

MW

TexasBred":1gythsb2 said:
That's mineral only are alsoinclude the protein tubs etc?? If you're going to use "salt blocks" only you might as well delete that from the feeding program as well. Just another unnecessary expense but seeing all those blocks out in the field will make you feel good. Bovatec on mature cattle is pretty much a waste as well.

No protein tubs - there's protein in the Bovatec tubs.

I'm wondering if it's all "pretty much a waste". In THEORY the Bovatec will still act as an ionophore in the rumen of adult cows empowering the right bacteria to flourish and keeping the unhelpful bacteria and microbes at bay as it does in feeders - that said, it's mostly in the fields in the winter so my fall calves have a little something to keep coccidia at bay.

The fall calves also get some wheat mid creep in the winter mixed with salt to limit intake - I started putting out salt blocks when I saw the cows chasing the calves around the field drinking their urine (which I realize is normal to an extent but you shoulda seen to herd jump into action whenever the spatter of calf urine hit the ground.

medicinewoman":3k2whizw said:
We run 100 head and keep 3 50 lb blocks of American Stockman Big 6® Trace Mineral Salt Block in front of them year round. Cost $5.99 per block and they go through an average of 1 per month.

1 per month on 100 head doesn't compute mathematically. My 30 cows would go through 500 lbs of mineral a month. At 1 a month you gotta wonder about putting anything out.

angus9259":ix3jia56 said:
My 30 cows would go through 500 lbs of mineral a month. At 1 a month you gotta wonder about putting anything out.
My 120 hd (when I had em) woundn't eat 10 bags a year...I think mineral intake is all about your location and grass.

If they're eatin 500lbs of mineral a month there's something going
On. Is It One of those minerals that has proteins in it too?

medicinewoman":1iouul7u said:
angus9259

And that is all I would recommend anyone do unless they can conclusively show why they need to do other wise.

MW
50 lbs. of salt for 100 cows ??? That's like giving 1/4 cc of penicillin to cure a respiratory infection. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies are the type thing you find to be a problem in the herd "after the fact". Perhaps all is well now but you are exposing your cattle to serious problems unless the diet of your cattle meets all recommended daily requirements for vitamins/minerals and few do..perhaps yours are the exception. I'll let you do your own research...As for the salt blocks. If you want them to have salt at least supply loose salt so they can get what they need quickly and get out of the way for the other cattle to have access.

I've got a pasture with 25 cows, which close to your number. After the initial gorging at a rate of one 50 lb bag in 2 weeks or so they level out to a nag every 30-45 days. Never worked anywhere or known of anyone's cattle consuming that amount.

I put out 30% protein tubs when I start haying. When they start leaving hay alone and are on grass, I stop the tubs as well.

CCRanch":1ca6jv8x said:
I put out 30% protein tubs when I start haying. When they start leaving hay alone and are on grass, I stop the tubs as well.
I used to do that too back in the day when they were considered "cheap"....If the hay/forage you feed meets daily requirements, why spend extra money on supplements instead of keeping it in your pocket? My cattle actually "bloomed" when I quit feeding salt and meal. Now that doesn't mean I don't feed salt...they have access to loose salt and loose mineral, whatever is in the pastures and hay whenever the pastures won't provide all they need.

If you go back and reread his original post it seems that he is most likely using 250 lb tubs. but it sure sounds like his cows are consuming a lot even of
The tubs.

hooknline":ueu4rzrq said:
If you go back and reread his original post it seems that he is most likely using 250 lb tubs. but it sure sounds like his cows are consuming a lot even of
The tubs.
LOL...nah...I'm done...

Most of the loose minerals of decent quality say 4-6 ounces per day consumption. Right now mine are not averaging that then sometimes to seem to gorge themselves on it. $6000 seems high to me for 30 cows even using the Crystalyx.

They are consuming the "required" amount based on label feeding instructions on a lb/head/day rate to be effective on either the bovatec or IGR. Based on the label instructions, they are not over-consuming. That said, I don't know that it's doing any good - nor, I guess, do I know it's not.

They are 250 lb tubs.

Based on the comments so far, I may try a simple IGR or Rabon block this year for fly control and some salt and see what happens.

hooknline":3cu1tg88 said:
If they're eatin 500lbs of mineral a month there's something going
On. Is It One of those minerals that has proteins in it too?

Not based on the label instructions - based on label instructions, they are eating what they need to. I'm NOT saying it's helpful, but just saying they aren't over consuming based on the label.

heath":224obopb said:
I've got a pasture with 25 cows, which close to your number. After the initial gorging at a rate of one 50 lb bag in 2 weeks or so they level out to a nag every 30-45 days. Never worked anywhere or known of anyone's cattle consuming that amount.

Good data point. Is it a Crystalix scam? As mentioned, it's the amount they are "supposed" to be eating . . . in tubs.

In one sentence you say it's not a protein tub, in the other you say it is.
What your talking about is a feed suppliment protein tub with minerals in it.
Not loose minerals.
And then you say your spending 6k a year. But theyre only eating 500 lbs a month. Those tubs would be 250 bucks each. Unless your leaving more details out and not even sure what it is you're putting out.

Latest posts