Anyone else find the popup ads in the upper corner offensive

Help Support CattleToday:

I do a lot of online advertising for our products at Cattlesoft - CattleMax software, The Cattle Tags Store, and The Cattle Scales Store. A significant portion of our advertising budget is done online and it has been an effective way to promote our products.

From my experience in advertising with Cattle Today, they sell banner ads direct and also through Google's AdSense. Google Adsense is the publisher side of Google's advertising platform, with Google AdWords being the advertiser side. To use AdSense, a site publisher simply inserts a snippet of code on the website and Google takes care of the rest - handling payments from the advertiser, paying the publisher (Cattle Today), selecting the most profitable ads, etc.

AdSense will show ads with several technologies...
  • Context advertising - Google Adsense looks at the content on the page and says "this page is about x, so let's serve ads from advertisers who are bidding on keyword x and variations. This can be a great way to get traffic from sites you dont' know about, but it can also eat an advertiser's lunch... you don't know how much we have spent on CattleMax ads inadvertently showing up on Farmville sites (Farmville is the virtual farmer game).
  • Site targeting - Advertisers specify a list of one or more sites and say "I am willing to pay $x/click for people who click on this site"
  • Retargeting - You visit a site, the site owner (who also advertises with Google) tells Google to show his/her ads to you for x days. Retargeting is why you may see an ad from a site you have visited showing up on completely unrelated sites like your local newspaper or cattle forums

Terrell":1yxdby3d said:
I do a lot of online advertising for our products at Cattlesoft - CattleMax software, The Cattle Tags Store, and The Cattle Scales Store. A significant portion of our advertising budget is done online and it has been an effective way to promote our products.

From my experience in advertising with Cattle Today, they sell banner ads direct and also through Google's AdSense. Google Adsense is the publisher side of Google's advertising platform, with Google AdWords being the advertiser side. To use AdSense, a site publisher simply inserts a snippet of code on the website and Google takes care of the rest - handling payments from the advertiser, paying the publisher (Cattle Today), selecting the most profitable ads, etc.

AdSense will show ads with several technologies...
  • Context advertising - Google Adsense looks at the content on the page and says "this page is about x, so let's serve ads from advertisers who are bidding on keyword x and variations. This can be a great way to get traffic from sites you dont' know about, but it can also eat an advertiser's lunch... you don't know how much we have spent on CattleMax ads inadvertently showing up on Farmville sites (Farmville is the virtual farmer game).
  • Site targeting - Advertisers specify a list of one or more sites and say "I am willing to pay $x/click for people who click on this site"
  • Retargeting - You visit a site, the site owner (who also advertises with Google) tells Google to show his/her ads to you for x days. Retargeting is why you may see an ad from a site you have visited showing up on completely unrelated sites like your local newspaper or cattle forums

Terrell, someone asked the question if advertisers such as yourself and The Angus Report found the ads for League Angels and the like objectionable content to share the banner ad space with. Do you?

Hate to say it but a lot of ad traffic is generated by the sites you visit. Maybe gaming sites, maybe something else, maybe some magazine or newspaper sites which buy ads.

A while back the ads on here and on beesource and you tube were getting pretty wild. I visit only a few sites. Could not figure out how the website ads went from learning Hebrew, to gaming, to explicit gaming, to singles, to singles in my area, to Christian singles to some pretty crappy stuff. Turns out with more than one person using the same IP address his internet usage was way riskier than mine. Now, after a bit of therapy....the kind a baseball bat offers on certain computer gadgets, I am the only one with access to the Internet, and the ads are not too bad. I get more learning Hebrew adds than anything....and cattle max, now this grocer guy.
I've found I've gotten into trouble a couple of times...people post a link on Facebook to a news story and I click on it. Ya the story is news worthy but their ads are crap. Then I have to go and clear browser history...taught me a few lessons. For example read where the link goes under the headline.
Back to the topic at hand....
If your not the only one using your internet IP address...check their browser history....better yet install covenant eyes or something like that on all Internet using gadgets. Might be suprised. I know I was.

if your kids watch tv , their morals are already corrupted a lot more than those ads will do.you will be surprised what 13 & 14 year olds are doing these days

TennesseeTuxedo":24cjh4e1 said:
Terrell, someone asked the question if advertisers such as yourself and The Angus Report found the ads for League Angels and the like objectionable content to share the banner ad space with. Do you?

Having studied online marketing for years, I know that in the world of Google advertising, it is tough for advertisers to 100% control where their ads show, just as it is tough for publishers to control which advertisers show up on their site. While you can block a specific site, 5 more will come back in its place.

However if it were apparent that a publisher was deliberately running ads of questionable content (adult, extreme political, extremely controversial, etc), I would probably choose to direct my advertising dollars elsewhere so that we would not come across as supporting/endorsing the publisher.

By the way, if anyone ever finds themself needing to research a topic privately or just buy a surprise gift that you don't want someone finding out about when they are at the computer, you can use your browser's private browsing setting where your history and cookies are cleared when you close the browser. Google Chrome has Incognito windows, Internet Explorer has InPrivate Browsing, and Safari has Private Browsing. Do keep in mind that your IP address is still available to the sites though.

If you really want to know where they come from, just ask the NSA--they know everywhere everyone goes.
Chrome---ctrl-shift+N opens a new window in which one can browse the web "mostly" invisible. (incognito)
You can also select "do not track" in your settings but it's pretty much ineffective--neither advertisers nor Google gives a be nice what the user wants to see. They pay their money and want as many different people as possible to see the ad as often as possible and they don't really give a crap how upset the viewer gets. They both know full well, that no one can reach thru the screen and beat the living crap out of 'em no matter how well deserved that butt whippin might be. It's like the flyers you get in your mailbox each week or day. You can't stop it because you don't meet those ingrates on the street and those advertisers pay big bucks to USPS to deliver them and USPS would be in even deeper pooh than they already are without them.
Best thing you can do, (and it ain't much) is to NEVER EVER EVER deal with anyone who advertises in a way that the ad follows you around. Get in their wallet.

My popup ads are selling Case equipment.

I have not gotten any offensive ones, as of yet.

But if this happens, I will not be happy. I am with you, SRBeef. I do not want to see that mess when I come to this site. It is just not appropriate for all audiences.

Terrell":1zqfa56l said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1zqfa56l said:

Having studied online marketing for years, I know that in the world of Google advertising, it is tough for advertisers to 100% control where their ads show, just as it is tough for publishers to control which advertisers show up on their site. While you can block a specific site, 5 more will come back in its place.

However if it were apparent that a publisher was deliberately running ads of questionable content (adult, extreme political, extremely controversial, etc), I would probably choose to direct my advertising dollars elsewhere so that we would not come across as supporting/endorsing the publisher.

By the way, if anyone ever finds themself needing to research a topic privately or just buy a surprise gift that you don't want someone finding out about when they are at the computer, you can use your browser's private browsing setting where your history and cookies are cleared when you close the browser. Google Chrome has Incognito windows, Internet Explorer has InPrivate Browsing, and Safari has Private Browsing. Do keep in mind that your IP address is still available to the sites though.

Thanks for the education. I like your software btw.

sim.-ang.king":gfg8sc9y said:
This is about the most offensive ad I have seen.
11900721593_4c400e7d9b_o.png
Sim thanks for the advertising! I'm headed to The Arkansas Delta to do a special cowboy clinic for some folks that donated a lot of money to my new endeavor. Jed was kind enough to also get me a lime green Shetland trailer custom made to pull behind the bug. The one day clinic is only 99.95 and will be on May 8th at Jed's if y'all want to come and stay at Jed's that will be fine. He is providing free beer and BBQ for everyone. See y'all there!

I'll make sure that date is kept open. I'm assuming you or Jed will post a thread as it gets closer to May 8, with a map and directions to his humble abode in Arkansas. I don't want to end up too far East--it's been 40 years but pretty sure my name is still mud in West Memphis Ark.
Caustic and I will caravan up behind each other and we'll stop along the way up thru East Texas and gather up some of the other CT members and their better halves. I'm sure folks like Lauralee's Farm, TxMike, Pineland, Slick4591, Skeeter, B&M Farms, and RafterS will drop in behind us.
We look forward to it.

I pulling a concession stand trailer I will get rich at the show selling hot dogs.
I figure Jed will have to have valet parking once he advertises about the talking monkey on a Shetland.

Caustic Burno":34tzrpjs said:
I pulling a concession stand trailer I will get rich at the show selling hot dogs.
I figure Jed will have to have valet parking once he advertises about the talking monkey on a Shetland.
You mean that monkey standing in front of the pony can talk?

dun":3r8hqnih said:
Caustic Burno":3r8hqnih said:

Probably a good thing the pony cannot.

dun":c897vyr9 said:
Caustic Burno":c897vyr9 said:

Rumor has it that he can talk everyone knows he can type.
Now he is a smart monkey, but still a monkey.

I just saw one of my favorite adds come across but couldn't get a pic fast enough.

REMEMBER YOUR FRIENDS MOM

SHE'S STILL HOT

COUGARLIFE.COM
(with a good looking blonde changing poses)

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Im thinking about selling a "Girls of Cattle Today" calendar with all the girls from the adds. Any takers?

Brute 23":2lzihj4j said:
I just saw one of my favorite adds come across but couldn't get a pic fast enough.

SHE'S STILL HOT

COUGARLIFE.COM

Im thinking about selling a "Girls of Cattle Today" calendar with all the girls from the adds. Any takers?

I think we should do a real one. We can make Hillsdown the January calender girl with a picture of her in her mukluks coveralls and wolf hair trimmed parka.

3waycross":12tjo2t5 said:
Brute 23":12tjo2t5 said:

SHE'S STILL HOT

COUGARLIFE.COM

I think we should do a real one. We can make Hillsdown the January calender girl with a picture of her in her mukluks coveralls and wolf hair trimmed parka.
If there's a spot for an abominal snow woman you could get MM naked.

Personally I find it offensive that I never get any of these offensive ads. All I ever get is the Angus Report and Cattlemax.

Latest posts