Any one mow their yard with....

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
A 3pt hitch grooming mower? I am going to have to replace my lawnmower in the next year and am thinking about just getting a grooming mower for the tractor instead. Has any one tried this? How good of job do they do? I would probally be using a JD 2350 to pull it with, unless I can get the old 8N running.

I have a small JD 4010 with a belly mower and a finish mower behind a JD 2140. Both mow great, but I prefer the belly mower because I can mow around and get closer to all the trees and yard ornaments without having to back up so much. Both have there advantages and disadvantages, I usually wind up using both before I get the whole place cut. The tractor with the belly mower has a dual pto one facing forward under the tractor and one regular. It takes just about as long for me to remove and replace the belly mower as it does the three point mower, doing it by myself.

I use one all the time. It works great for me but it does take a little more time getting close to trees, bushes etc. The time I save by using a 60 inch cut makes it worth it. Besides its one less tractor you will be repairing.
Scott

scooter":1ixuzg3z said:
. Besides its one less tractor you will be repairing.
Scott

This is exactly why I was considering the 3pt mower. I have to keep the tractors maintained anyway, so why not use them another 20 or 30 hrs a year and save the upkeep on another piece of equipment.

The belly mower I have is a JD 60" mower and the three point mower is a Woods 72" mower. I can mow the same amount with the 60" in half the time if I have to go around a bunch of stuff. I know that Woods makes both types to fit almost any tractor, and know for sure they make one to fit the 8N. But on open ground I prefer the three point because it has a rear discharge and can mow with the grass a little tall and damp without it stopping up.

I'm not real keen on mowing the yard, most times it winds up being about once a month. The most efficient mower I've found is a 15' Bush Hog batwing - around 5 minutes flat when you consider all the trimming and backing up. The best way to avoid having to deal with trimming around the various shrubs and ornamentals the better half likes to plant (for the sole purpose of slowing me down) is to just run them over with the batwing, problem solved.

I have a 6' woods rear discharge finish mower. It works great. I can mow my 3 acre yard in about 45 minutes. It tears right through tall or wet grass too, as long as the blades are sharp. I also use it to mow my pastures when the cattle can't eat them down quick enough.

SirLoin":1r64hsvr said:
I have a 6' woods rear discharge finish mower. It works great. I can mow my 3 acre yard in about 45 minutes. It tears right through tall or wet grass too, as long as the blades are sharp. I also use it to mow my pastures when the cattle can't eat them down quick enough.
This has nothing to do with mowers but if you have unused feed you need more cattle.

longtimelurker":1ygua8d0 said:
SirLoin":1ygua8d0 said:
This has nothing to do with mowers but if you have unused feed you need more cattle.
If you stock according to when your grass is in it's peak growth stage then you are over stocked and buying hay. Better to mow the extra down putting the nutrients back into the soil, plus building organic matter.
The only thing I don't like about the tractor mowing the lawn is the tire marks you get when the ground is to moist. You could use turf tires but then loose traction in the pasture.

novatech":3bg8njf2 said:
longtimelurker":3bg8njf2 said:
SirLoin":3bg8njf2 said:
If you stock according to when your grass is in it's peak growth stage then you are over stocked and buying hay. Better to mow the extra down putting the nutrients back into the soil, plus building organic matter.
The only thing I don't like about the tractor mowing the lawn is the tire marks you get when the ground is to moist. You could use turf tires but then loose traction in the pasture.
I don't believe it is but we both are entitled to our opinion. Over 80% of the nutrients used to grow the grass goes directly back into the soil in the form of manure. Same as returning it back as clippings.

I would rather have raised beef with that grass, than returned it to the soil with no beef. Guess thats why some are more profitable in the beef business than others. Selling overstocked beef makes you more money than clipped grass everytime.

I mow most of my yard with a 72 inch 3 point finish mower.
I don't try to get close to trees an such with it.
I follow up with my old riding lawn mower for the close work.

As a side note on the excess pasture grass. I fence it off and cut it for hay.

I used to mow the yard with a cab tractor and a bush hog! From the road, nobody could tell the difference! Since we didn't have little kids out playing in the yard, it really didn't matter to us. As long as I could see the snakes before I got right up on 'em! Finally broke down and bought a zero turn, and quit trying to get the huge tractor in the yard!

longtimelurker":1zuxhpe6 said:
SirLoin":1zuxhpe6 said:

If thats the way he wants to do it good for him,why don't you mind your own business.

EAT BEEF":2lagqzde said:
longtimelurker":2lagqzde said:
SirLoin":2lagqzde said:

If thats the way he wants to do it good for him,why don't you mind your own business.
As should you agreed?

EAT BEEF":1rdcn6tn said:
longtimelurker":1rdcn6tn said:
SirLoin":1rdcn6tn said:

Why?? It's an open forum and the man gave his opinion. I buy calves every spring as well, just to eat the surplus grass and it has always put money in the bank.

TexasBred":3vl1sftg said:
Why?? It's an open forum and the man gave his opinion. I buy calves every spring as well, just to eat the surplus grass and it has always put money in the bank.
I have to agree. I just forgot to mention it. If my wife would let me I would let them mow the yard too. :nod: I have tried the stocker route but usually the market drops about the time I sell.
I really don,t like the idea of bailing hay in the pasture but as long as you replace what you take out it is just another way of using the excess.

Good for you,but the man didn't ask for an opinion.You all might as well buy his farm since you already know how to run it.I guess I give my opinion alot aswell,but I'm going to try not to as much.It just pisses me off when people that don't make my farm payment or I owe money start telling me what I should do.

EAT BEEF":c67he904 said:

Good for you,but the man didn't ask for an opinion.You all might as well buy his farm since you already know how to run it.I guess I give my opinion alot aswell,but I'm going to try not to as much.It just be nice me off when people that don't make my farm payment or I owe money start telling me what I should do.

The man asked a question. Every question hopefully will get several answers.....they are all "opinions". And I wouldn't think of trying to tell you how to run your farm. It's obvious you wouldn't listen anyway.

i am single, so i use a buckskin, palomino and appaloosa to mow mine until today, when i brought in a lightweight grasscutter, will finish (maybe) with a lawnmower. horses don't eat azaleas, chrysanthemums or day lilies, but they do seem to like a young camellia. never did have to worry much about excess grass down here in LA. wouldn't have mowed the yard if i wasn't getting in some "new" cows going in the pasture right behind my house later today....

Latest posts