Any Limousene cows here?

Help Support CattleToday:

Sistervoodoo

Reaction score
About two months ago I decided to try my hand at raising some cattle. I bought 14 red Limousene cows with nice calves by their sides and one young (18 months old) red Limousene bull. My cows were bred to an outstanding black Limousene bull. He was a beauty! Hubby and I have never been in the cattle business before so this is all new to us. ;-) We live in Missouri and I'm having a blast with the cattle. My herd is calm, and several of the cows can be hand fed range pellets. My bull (Babe) is just a huge over grown calf and is as tame as a puppy for now. Any advice or whatever is much appreciated because this is entirely new to us. Thanks!

Sistervoodoo":16hv41we said:
About two months ago I decided to try my hand at raising some cattle. I bought 14 red Limousene cows with nice calves by their sides and one young (18 months old) red Limousene bull. My cows were bred to an outstanding black Limousene bull. He was a beauty! Hubby and I have never been in the cattle business before so this is all new to us. ;-) We live in Missouri and I'm having a blast with the cattle. My herd is calm, and several of the cows can be hand fed range pellets.
  • My bull (Babe) is just a huge over grown calf and is as tame as a puppy for now. Any advice
or whatever is much appreciated because this is entirely new to us. Thanks!
no advise other than the bull is a overgrown pet... you think.. and one that will kill you at the drop of a hat.. if he takes a notion. dont turn your back on him and for your sake dont pet him .

I would recommend you learn how to spell the breeds name as the first step. It's Limousin!

I hope you enjoy your new hobby. A pet cow can be deadly though. Its great you have some tame ones, but you shouldnt be feeding them by hand or petting them. What are you going to do when you have several 1200 lb plus animal pushing on you and head butting looking for a handout.

I agree with 3MR...........it sounds like I am about a year ahead of your current setup. I bought 10 bred heifers, Show-Me Selects. They were bred to low weight Angus bulls. Absolutely no problem with calving. Their temperament is great. But........as 3MR indicated........they got too friendly. After a couple months of feeding them grain, which I do to keep them coming into the working pens, they come close to getting me down trying to get to the bucket.

dun":3tap7gmj said:
I would recommend you learn how to spell the breeds name as the first step. It's Limousin!

Thank you!!! I was waiting for someone to say that!! I just didnt have the balls to do it! :lol: :lol:

Katy

1)Find a vet. Listen to what they say to do with vacinations. Then do it.

2)Find a vet to buy your drugs from. Even if they are making $5 a dose on 14 head and the bull that's only $75.

3)Hire a vet to work the calves.

No, I'm not a vet nor do I play one on TV. BUT, I do know that it's really nice to have a relationship with one when you have a cow calving at midnight and have something go wrong. If you do have a relationship he/she is going to be a lot more willing to roll out of bed and come help you.

Sistervoodoo":1rwsz8m7 said:
About two months ago I decided to try my hand at raising some cattle. I bought 14 red Limousene cows with nice calves by their sides and one young (18 months old) red Limousene bull. My cows were bred to an outstanding black Limousene bull. He was a beauty! Hubby and I have never been in the cattle business before so this is all new to us. ;-) We live in Missouri and I'm having a blast with the cattle. My herd is calm, and several of the cows can be hand fed range pellets. My bull (Babe) is just a huge over grown calf and is as tame as a puppy for now. Any advice or whatever is much appreciated because this is entirely new to us. Thanks!

Welcome to the cattle business. I hope you continue to enjoy them.

Be careful around any bull. They don't have to be mean to hurt you. Simply slinging their head to get flys and you're in the way can put you in the hospital. They may run over you if you get between them, feed or a cow in heat.

Also understand that when a cow first has a calf, her hormones are raging and she can possibly hurt you if she sees you as a threat to her baby. After the calf gets bigger, she'll generally calm down. I expect that's where your cows are today, but when they calve next year be careful until you see how the cows are going to react.

Thanks for all your advise. I really do appreciate those of you that are trying to help. :)

The cows were friendly when I bought them. I bought them at a cattle auction and the auctioneer bought them for me. He's been a family acquaintance for 30+ years. Yes the cows and bull are big and can be dangerous and this is something we do have to think about but reminders are always good. Babe was like this when we bought him. Again, I did not pick him out, he was bought and delivered by the auctioneer. I've heard that a tame bull can be more dangerous than a more leery one.

The cattle were delivered to the farm and disappeared down in the valley in the woods. I left them alone for a couple of days and then road down on my 4 wheeler to check on them. They were fine and when they heard the four wheeler, they came right up to it. Seems someone must have fed them using one.

They calves were all vacinated and castrated when I bought them. They are all looking beautiful right now.

AF Ranch":3z95y0j6 said:
After a couple months of feeding them grain, which I do to keep them coming into the working pens, they come close to getting me down trying to get to the bucket.

Imagine if you frightened or angered them AF. Or something outside your control did. They are not pets.
If you are gonna use friendly food you have to think 3 steps ahead and NEVER put yourself in a stampede position. The cow 4 back doesn't realize it's pushing the others over top of you.

Hey Sissyvoodoo - Babe is not as tame as a puppy, he is a BEAST - he is close to a ton of unpredictable muscle and bone. I hope you never find out how much power he can exert if provoked.

Congrats on choosing the carcass breed!! Limmoosin. They are gonna grow great and calve out without problems!

May I suggest a nice cross for you?? :lol: :lol:

Just please be safe.

ALX

Canadian_Cowgirl":vq9yix72 said:
dun":vq9yix72 said:

Thank you!!! I was waiting for someone to say that!! I just didnt have the balls to do it! :lol: :lol:

Katy

Dun, maybe that's the difference. He was raising limousines (never seen one myself). Sister voodoo is raising limousins (which I'm a bit more familiar with).

Cowboyup216, I'm just messing with you. I spell things wrong all the time. However, not knowing a thing about the cattle she bought, I wouldn't dare start making general statements and telling her to sell everything she has. But you did say that's your opinion, and you're absolutely entitled to it.

Canadian_cowgirl, I sure hope (if your name represents your gender) that you wouldn't have balls to do anything. :shock: That might be a unique combination. :D

Engler is giving you good advice. There is a lot that people will tell you. There are a ton of different opinions for how to do things. Here's my advice:

A dead animal is not profitable in any way, whether it be cow, calf, or bull. So, I would say that your herd health should be a top priority. It's hard to treat animals and help them if you can't catch them. Good facilities should be a high priority. From there, start learning...asking questions like you are, reading these boards, talking to neighboring ranchers to see what works in your area. You can listen to all these opinions and find what you think works for you. Try it. If something doesn't work, change it. It's a learning process with a learning curve. One last suggestion: If it's economical to do so, purchase a bull that will improve your best cow. Maybe the growth is no better. If your growth is where you want it, look at improving phenotype. If phenotype is where you want it, look at improving growth. If both are where you want them (rarely the case throughout an entire herd), make sure you're not losing anything in the new bull. Now remember the first statement...if it's economical. There always becomes a price at which this is no longer economical. That may be where A.I. becomes a part of your uperation, but that's another argument and this post is already extremely long.

I wish you well

EC

its great to have gentle cattle as for as handling and working them.. but the pets can be more aggrevating than a heel hound. always running to you are up around you wanting a treat rather than out working for you. my cows are ten footers anyway

I apologize for spelling the name wrong. I hope I do better raising cattle than I do typing! My favorite was limoosins. I will remember that one.

I look forward to learning from those of you with some cattle experience and have been doing a lot of reading here. Opinions are fine, I can sort through and decide for myself what may work for me and what may not.

I've read a lot of good things and bad things about Limousins. We did a lot of reading and talking with others before making our selection. I think what surprised me most about the cattle I bought is that they weren't skittish at all and from what I have read, I expected cattle that would be range raised and not too friendly. At least the ones I have can be called in (Yes, I have a very loud voice) and I can count them every day. It's also very easy to stand outside the pen area and call them right in. Since I often have to work the cattle myself with no one else here to help, this is a big help to me.

Sherry

East Caney":en7tuxny said:
Canadian_Cowgirl":en7tuxny said:
dun":en7tuxny said:

Katy

Dun, maybe that's the difference. He was raising limousines (never seen one myself). Sister voodoo is raising limousins (which I'm a bit more familiar with).

Cowboyup216, I'm just messing with you. I spell things wrong all the time. However, not knowing a thing about the cattle she bought, I wouldn't dare start making general statements and telling her to sell everything she has. But you did say that's your opinion, and you're absolutely entitled to it.

Canadian_cowgirl, I sure hope (if your name represents your gender) that you wouldn't have balls to do anything. :shock: That might be a unique combination. :D

Engler is giving you good advice. There is a lot that people will tell you. There are a ton of different opinions for how to do things. Here's my advice:

A dead animal is not profitable in any way, whether it be cow, calf, or bull. So, I would say that your herd health should be a top priority. It's hard to treat animals and help them if you can't catch them. Good facilities should be a high priority. From there, start learning...asking questions like you are, reading these boards, talking to neighboring ranchers to see what works in your area. You can listen to all these opinions and find what you think works for you. Try it. If something doesn't work, change it. It's a learning process with a learning curve. One last suggestion: If it's economical to do so, purchase a bull that will improve your best cow. Maybe the growth is no better. If your growth is where you want it, look at improving phenotype. If phenotype is where you want it, look at improving growth. If both are where you want them (rarely the case throughout an entire herd), make sure you're not losing anything in the new bull. Now remember the first statement...if it's economical. There always becomes a price at which this is no longer economical. That may be where A.I. becomes a part of your uperation, but that's another argument and this post is already extremely long.

I wish you well

EC

Buy the auctioneer a case of beer. Sounds like he did a good job for you

You need to start planning how you will market your cattle. Find what will be the most profitable for your operation, and not necessarily what everyone else is doing.

Good luck.

CSM

I sold all the red limousin,s i had , you.ll take a beating at the sale barn with them here.

We have had 2 limi bulls in the past and were very pleased with them. My husband went with the trend and sold them and bought angus bulls. Kinda ticked me off. It could just be the quality of the bulls we bought, but we got a lot better growth with the limis. The bulls were both calm and easy to work with. We got 2 reg. black limi heifers from the same place we had gotten the bulls tonight. I am anxious to see how they will do. Good luck with yours and enjoy!

Latest posts