Any college football fans out there?

Help Support CattleToday:

novaman":15frma92 said:
Alan":15frma92 said:
I thought Wisconsin would show TCU what it was like to play a real team. :oops: My hat's off to TCU, they just completely handled Wisc. and it made me give them a bunch more respect. I also respect them for jumping into the Big East, you can't judge from year to year, via the longhorns, but they have my attention and I look forward to watching them next year.
Maybe TCU is better than most gave them credit for. As much as I was disappointed to see a 7-9 team make it into the NFL playoffs, I have to say I am even more disappointed to see a 13-0 team go without a shot at the national title in college football. Maybe Auburn and Oregon would both beat TCU but how do we really know for sure? It's sad that TCU goes home with an undefeated record and wasn't even given a chance at the title.

At this point I don't know that TCU couldn't beat any team. Another reason for a 8 or 16 team playoff. TCU really looked good and deserves a chance.

Alan

Well our race is run.

last couple of years we seem to have trouble stumbing over teams from the left coast.

I am old enough to remember when we could not beat Miami or Fla State.

I am old enough to remember when we could not beat Bama and some other SEC teams.

Give coach Beamer another shot or two an he will beat the west coast teams too.

Alan":3j4smbh5 said:
ga.prime":3j4smbh5 said:
Alan":3j4smbh5 said:
Ga, I just don't know what to think about you and your "war eagle" cry, I think it probably came from some drunk frat boy in the sixties.... Just after he lit up. Someone will be crying, don't think it will be my Duck
I don't guess you read any of what Van posted on the War Eagle origin. Kind of silly considering you asked the question answered by Van's post 3 or 4 times in this thread. If you want to remain oblivious to a tradition dating from since Oregon was Indian territory, that's your business.

I did read Van's post, what a great history, it was an eagle that soared around the the field until Auburn won and then dropped from the sky and was dead on the field. No wait, it was a big guy named whatever eagle that the crowd screwed up the name....or whatever. Sorry sounds like a bunch of war eagle cr@p. I think my legend is the right one...a sixties stoner.

Love given you be nice, now in really hope we win. :D

Alan
Go ahead, have your fun while you can. Did you see where Oregon's uniforms for the BCS championship game were voted ugliest of any team of any sport of any season of all time? Hard to believe they could be any uglier than the some of the other get ups Oregon used earlier in this past season.

pdfangus":c8vfs5at said:
Well our race is run.

last couple of years we seem to have trouble stumbing over teams from the left coast.

I am old enough to remember when we could not beat Miami or Fla State.

I am old enough to remember when we could not beat Bama and some other SEC teams.

Give coach Beamer another shot or two an he will beat the west coast teams too.
Jim...guess it just wasn't meant to be. I've followed the Hokies since they DID start whooping up on the likes of Miami, Fla State etc. and there isn't another team in the country as much fun to watch. Coach Beamer is a "one of kind" guy too. Nothing but class.

Alan heck if they'd run it up the gut they probably still would have scored. :lol2: Baylor was gassed. And TCU does have a very good athletic program. And very high and hard academic standards as well. Don't know what the student body count is now but use to only be about 7-8,000. Not much for basketball but have a very good baseball program every year and year in and year out do well in track ... mainly sprinters.

You know a lot of those uniform combinations are butt ugly as I already told Alan...especially when you're chasing one of them and it keeps getting smaller and smaller in front of you. :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":2qbzcjrk said:
Alan heck if they'd run it up the gut they probably still would have scored. :lol2: Baylor was gassed. And TCU does have a very good athletic program. And very high and hard academic standards as well. Don't know what the student body count is now but use to only be about 7-8,000. Not much for basketball but have a very good baseball program every year and year in and year out do well in track ... mainly sprinters.

You know a lot of those uniform combinations are butt ugly as I already told Alan...especially when you're chasing one of them and it keeps getting smaller and smaller in front of you. :lol2: :lol2:

That was cool TexasBred..... :lol: :2cents: :compute:

TexasBred":2zsk7kah said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: , they do have some different looks and as I said before I really hate those wings on the shoulders..... But just when I was starting to get use to them, look what Nike did to them. :shock: Check out the socks and shoes they'll be wearing during the big game. :shock:

http://www.kptv.com/image/26135876/detail.html

Boy, did Arkansas get into the wrong bowl game. The sugar bowl, sponsored by Allstate .... "the good hands people". Sorry stole that from a post on another football link I follow, but at least 4 dropped passes that could have made a real difference. Also, with the last minute blocked punt, all the kid had to do was pick it up and he had a short jog to winning the game. I do mean kid, for the most part all these guys are just kids, great athletes but just kids. Can you tell that I really wanted Ohio St to lose?

Alan

the few games i saw Arkansas play in this year they were not making those kinds of mistakes.

they had impressed me as being a pretty hard nosed and talented team.

Arkansas had all the chances in the world to win that game but when it came down to crunch time they couldn't get it done. I too was hoping OSU would lose. I've never liked Pryor and after the whole suspensions for NEXT season fiasco I was definitely hoping for them to choke.

Alan":1u3lafvn said:
Boy, did Arkansas get into the wrong bowl game. The sugar bowl, sponsored by Allstate .... "the good hands people". Sorry stole that from a post on another football link I follow, but at least 4 dropped passes that could have made a real difference. Also, with the last minute blocked punt, all the kid had to do was pick it up and he had a short jog to winning the game. I do mean kid, for the most part all these guys are just kids, great athletes but just kids. Can you tell that I really wanted Ohio St to lose?

Alan
Everybody likes to see OSU lose except the OSU students. A lot of "ifs and buts" n the game but OSU won. Ark. missed a TD on the lst play of the game then gave one away when OSU recovered the fumble in the end zone. QB for OSU is a good athlete.

It was good to see a bowl game go down to the wire. Yes, I agree those dropped passes by Arkansas hurt them bad. OSU looks like they finally got that "never beating a SEC team in a bowl game" monkey off their back.

Well, you can bet my dislike for Ohio St has nothing to do with last years Rose Bowl :roll: :)

Alan

Well, I've glanced at this thread a couple of times this week but been too lazy to chime in so I'll try to catch up on some of the things you guys have been talking about.

1. The bootleg against Baylor. I didn't have a problem with it but I can see where others might. Of course, as an Illini fan, I haven't seen us get the chance to run up the score very often, so I'm not quite sure how to handle it. :D Besides, I don't see a final score of 38-14 as being too far out of whack. Personally, I would have had our guys take a knee, but then I'm not the coach.

Wisconsin put up 83 against Indiana earlier this season and was passing right down to the end. Now THAT'S running up the score!! I usually root for the Big Ten, but I didn't shed any tears when TCU beat them in the Rose Bowl. I was at a game back in the early 90's when Wisconsin came in and ran the ball down our throats. We had the 4th best defense in the country against the rush going into that game but couldn't stop them. It was 35-10 and Wisconsin had 1st and goal on our 3 with about a minute and a half left. Heck, any one of us could have scored another TD behind that line, but Barry Alvarez had his QB take a knee and run out the clock. Always thought very highly of him after that. Alvarez is the AD at Wisconsin now. I wonder what he thought about that Indiana game.

2. Speaking of TCU, I've come full circle on that one. Didn't think they deseved a shot because of their schedule, but they proved me wrong. Thought Wisconsin's size and strength would wear them down but they were up to the task right down to the end. I agree that a team that goes 13-0 and beats a good team in a BCS bowl deserves a shot. Same thing happened to Auburn a few years ago. Gotta get that playoff to eliminate that sort of thing.

3. The Big Ten had a lot of good teams this year, but not one that I'd call great or even really good. Can't see things getting any better next year, which gives me hope. My Illini were a "middle of the pack" team this year. If we get a little better and everyone else stays the same, well, who knows? By the way, RB Mikel Leshoure, LB Martez Wilson, and DL Corey Liguet (all juniors) are thinking about turning pro. A lot will depend on what happens there. We're not the type of program that can reload with great players year after year. We have to seize the moment when it comes and, unfortunately, it doesn't come very often.

4. Was sorry to see Virginia Tech lose. Don't have any ties to them, but I'm a huge Frank Beamer fan. A real class act.

5. While I have a great deal of respect for Ohio State and their athletic programs, those five kids should not have been allowed to play in their bowl game. As far as I'm concerned, their win is tainted. The way the NCAA enforces it's rules is a joke.

6. Last but not least there is the matter of Oregon's uniforms. For God's sake, Alan, use your influence and do something!! They look like a dam softball team, for crying out loud!! :lol2: I don't know what's worse, watching Oregon in those uniforms or Boise State play at home. Has Oregon ever played at Boise State? Lord what a nighmare that would be.

Van, I couldn't agree with more on your comments on TCU and the five Ohio St players. As for oregon's uniforms what can I say, Phil Night won't take my calls any more and then I have that court order problem. But if the Ducks win tomorrow night, I think I may buy a pair of those "blur" neon green socks, he!! I might buy you a pair too, TB you want a pair? I know for sure I'm buying ga.prime a pair, I'll send his with a DVD of the game. :lol2: :D

Alan

Thanks, Alan! If by some diabolical stroke of luck Oregon pulls off a win I guess I could wear those socks under my boots.

Alan":evadpqfo said:
Van, I couldn't agree with more on your comments on TCU and the five Ohio St players. As for oregon's uniforms what can I say, Phil Night won't take my calls any more and then I have that court order problem. But if the Ducks win tomorrow night, I think I may buy a pair of those "blur" neon green socks, he!! I might buy you a pair too, TB you want a pair? I know for sure I'm buying ga.prime a pair, I'll send his with a DVD of the game. :lol2: :D

Alan

Actually, I do kinda like the socks. Might have to check the Oregon website and see if I can get a pair or two. And to answer a question you asked earlier, no, Nebraska isn't on our schedule next year.

Alan":2fcngect said:

Alan
That'll work. Those socks will look good with my Oregon cap with the duck wings on it. Took me 15 minutes to read all about the new uniforms Nike made for the Ducks. Sounds like something from the space program.

I am all for the south, and the S.E.C. but I would not mind seeing the Ducks win. Cam Newton should be ineligible for the game. The NCAA really screwed it up, but pretty much let all the cheaters play in the bowl games anyhow. Maybe next year they meaning the NCAA will do there job. Should be "cheaters never win-winners never cheat" till they get caught.

Latest posts