Any college football fans out there?

Help Support CattleToday:

So, Alan, how does it feel to be playing for the National Championship? Gotta feel good, doesn't it? I remember when we played for the NCAA Tournament championship in '05. Lots of nervous excitement. Closest we've come in football in my lifetime was in '83. Ranked #4 at the end of the regular season. Then we got spanked in the Rose Bowl so any slim chance we had was long gone. Just remember to keep it in perspective. You have no control over what happens. Winning won't make you a better man and losing won't make you less of one. Your life won't change either way. A fan that let's the outcome of any sporting event rule their life doesn't have much of a life to begin with and has more important issues they need to deal with. I'll be rooting for you, though, no doubt about that.

I know what you mean about the wife thing. My wife likes the Packers and is always complaining that they're not on TV enough around here. I don't know how many times I've explained to her that the Sunday afternoon games are shown on a regional basis. Here it's Bears, Colts, Rams in that order because that's who we're closest to. After that, we might see the Packers or the Vikings because they're in the same division as the Bears. I tell her if she wants to see the frickin' Packers she should move to frickin' Wisconsin and work in a cheese factory. :lol2:

As for Cam Newton, I imagine he'll play unless he gets hurt. Even if the NCAA finds something, I'd bet they sit on it till after the championship game. They'd lose a lot of viewers if you took the country's most exciting player and sure thing Heisman winner out of the equation. That means less money and, like it or not, money usually wins out in big time college sports.

upfrombottom":26liobae said:
I wouldn't dare make that statement in a room full of linemen. Nothing will PO a lineman worst than telling him he is nothing without the back field. Young smart assed quarterbacks and running backs, figure it out pritty quick on the field.
You misunderstood what I meant. I am not saying the rest of the team isn't good, but if you take Cam out and plug in another QB they have on their roster they won't win many games. It's like taking Peyton Manning off the Colts. They wouldn't win games many with Curtis Painter running the offense.

Alan":1mmcfvgi said:
TexasBred":1mmcfvgi said:
Well Alan and the Ducks have turned me into a real "Duck" fan. Heck I even liked the uniforms they wore last night. Got me an Oregon cap...none to be found down this way so had to order it. Will wear it proudly when the beat Auburn. :clap:

Thanks TB, we can use all the help we can get getting our program known better places like Texas, OK and the self proclaimed football heaven the SEC. My wife came in to watch some of the Duck game with me last night, I informed her that it sounds like her Aggies were going to the Cotton Bowl. She wouldn't quit talking about her Aggies during my game, I reminded her OUR Ducks were about to get the chance at the national title...... I thought pausing the game multiple times may give her a hint that I'm really wanting to watch my Ducks..... She could care less about my needs our my Ducks, her Aggies were back in the Cotton Bowl..... After another DVR pause followed by a glare, she went in and called her sister, who lives in Iowa and is a Hawkeye fan, to harass her for an hour.... :lol: You got to love them and college football... and I do.

Hopefully your new Duck hat will get you more free beers than fist fights.
Alan
Alan these folks won't have a clue what the big green "O" is. And yeah I have to use the pause button a lot myself. Seems the ladies just do not understand the message we're trying to convey. ;-)

novaman":24ks1o8q said:
Alan":24ks1o8q said:
What would happen if you guys lost Cam?
Haha does that really even have to be asked? Cam is the team. If he goes down that team is mediocre at best.
Cam was already cleared. No evidence he knew of his fathers "pay for play" scheem. According to ESPN.

Van, I really don't know how I feel about the Ducks going to the big game, part excitement, part worried. Maybe I'm still shell shocked about our rose bowl game last year with Ohio St. We played poorly after a long lay off and Pryor took us a part. But I'm glad we are going into the game the #2 team, if we win we knocked off the #1 team, if we lose we got beat by the #1 team the way the experts picked it. Too long of a period of down time. My life will change if they win..... I know my wife will buy me a new Ducks shirt..... And once again it will be too small :lol: .

My concern with Newton and the aligations is only I don't want anything to taint the game down the road, I'm curious to how the hiesman committee will treat Cam after the Bush scandal.... Probably the same as NCAA did, put their head in the sand.

One thing that may make a difference is the hiesman. After the civil war game a saw an interview with James and he was very humble about the hiesman, "it was a team effort, and should be a team award, he wouldn't have his yards if not for his blockers, O line and recievers". Later I saw an interview with Newton and the same question, he said something to the effect of it launches players to stardom. So I hope he wins it, maybe his head will be so big and so many stars in his eyes he can't see the field.

Alan

Isomade":wwcz2xm1 said:
novaman":wwcz2xm1 said:
Alan":wwcz2xm1 said:
What would happen if you guys lost Cam?
Haha does that really even have to be asked? Cam is the team. If he goes down that team is mediocre at best.
Cam was already cleared. No evidence he knew of his fathers "pay for play" scheem. According to ESPN.

I just read a football blog from the SEC, they said that the FBI is still tracking the money trail and that Cam is far from out of the woods on this deal.... But then again it is a blog on the always honest Internet, we'll see.

Alan

Newton comes across as an arrogant SOB and will probably be doing time before he's been in the pros 2 years. Nothing but trouble every where he's gone so far.

:nod: I agree TB, hasn't faced near then adversity he will in the NFL (Vince Young). But in college ......

Isomade":26fzlcnd said:
:nod: I agree TB, hasn't faced near then adversity he will in the NFL (Vince Young). But in college ......
Isn't it amazing how these guys go goofy when they get some money in their pocket? Everything in the world is their's for the taking....they seem to think !!!

If Cam Newton plays the Alburn Tigers will beat the Oregon Ducks only question is by how much. But Cam Newton should be exspelled from school, like father like son.

highgrit":98kjv0tp said:
If Cam Newton plays the Alburn Tigers will beat the Oregon Ducks only question is by how much. But Cam Newton should be exspelled from school, like father like son.

They might do it. And if he doesn't play Auburn gets beat by 40.....But the game still has to be played and Auburn's defense hasn't been that good this year. The two teams might score 100 points between them. Should be very intertaining.

highgrit":37qsdzew said:

According to Vegas.... 3 points. I agree with your last statement, the NCAA really dropped the ball.

Alan

You should write a petition explaining your disappointment with the NCAA in this matter and get a bunch of people to sign it and mail it to the rules committee. Maybe you can get them to reverse.

ga.prime":1x79i302 said:
You should write a petition explaining your disappointment with the NCAA in this matter and get a bunch of people to sign it and mail it to the rules committee. Maybe you can get them to reverse.
A shame the Heisman doesn't also require high stardards of conduct as well as academics. I thought they turned it all over to the Auburn officials and let them decide. Course they're run by the Alabama Criminial Justice System so no foul found.

Well we're finally into some decent bowl games, the Hawkeye - Missouri game was a good, just because I'm a bit of a hawk eye fan. I watched some of the Utah - BS game for two reasons; Utes coming to the Pac 12 to see how they played against a good team..... They didn't. Also to see BS on a green field. But the rest of the bowl games haven't been much to see or want to see. The Pac 10's meager representation starts tonight with Arizona so I look forward to that. While I try to wait patently for the 10th I know there's a couple of games out there that may draw some attention from the ct folks.... Right TB and Van?

Just my thoughts, the NCAA is a bunch of cherry picking phonies, that Ohio St. Deal is a bunch of BS. Pyor and 4 others should be sitting out of their bowl game rather than 5 games next season. A very tough penilty but the NCAA does't want it to effect the money. Sounds like most of the five will try for the NFL anyway next year, the 5 games will just give them the added push they need to decide, which equals..... No penalty.

JMO,
Alan

TexasBred":1u595jau said:
ga.prime":1u595jau said:
A shame the Heisman doesn't also require high stardards of conduct as well as academics.
Right. Maybe that LaMicheal guy from Oregon would have gotten enough votes to win. He was only arrested and jailed earlier this year for assault and attempted strangulation of his girlfriend.

TexasBred":3chipwco said:
highgrit":3chipwco said:

They might do it. And if he doesn't play Auburn gets beat by 40.....But the game still has to be played and Auburn's defense hasn't been that good this year. The two teams might score 100 points between them. Should be very intertaining.

heck TB......

with all the new rules the last ten years 100 points is pretty much a low scoring affair in both the college game and the no fun league.

when you and i cam along coaches said things like....... knock him down and if he gets up knock him down agin.

now no helmet to helmet.....
you cannot grab the shoulder pads.....
you cannot hit the quarterback after he throws the ball even if you are in the air at the time...
cannot impede the reciever...
cannot touch the reciever after what five yards...
cannot play in the snow......

i think they should take off the pads and play it like basketball

or as an alternative chain the defensive players with a ten yard chain to stakes in the field and if they pull up the stake they are banned for the rest of the season.

if you get good defensive game the talking heads are babling about what a boring game it is.....

Latest posts