Any college football fans out there?

Help Support CattleToday:

MistyMorning":ptfj4mi7 said:
Kinda late to this party, but I watched the Bama, Auburn game the other night, WOW!

You're not late at all, the fun is just ramping up, Bama had a real melt down in the second half, not to take anything away from Auburn. With Auburn I'm just hoping the NCAA doesn't find anything on Newton just after the Championship game or the Hiesman has been handed out. I would hate the asterisk after the game.

Has Minn found a coach? I haven't heard or maybe paid enough attention.

Alan

Alan":ohscqblc said:

Alan

As far as I know neither the Gophers or Vikes have, but than again I haven't paid enough attention either. :lol2: The Gophers pulled out a nice season ending win against Iowa though. Go figure.

Alan":1uv29v16 said:
MistyMorning":1uv29v16 said:
Kinda late to this party, but I watched the Bama, Auburn game the other night, WOW!

You're not late at all, the fun is just ramping up, Bama had a real melt down in the second half, not to take anything away from Auburn. With Auburn I'm just hoping the NCAA doesn't find anything on Newton just after the Championship game or the Hiesman has been handed out. I would hate the asterisk after the game.

Alan
I'm hoping that Auburn loses to SC. As much as I would like to see Auburn and Oregon in the championship I just have a feeling there is something that will become of the whole Newton thing and tarnish the whole deal. If Auburn loses we won't have to worry about a tainted champion.

It sure sounds like something is going on, I can't see how Cam wouldn't have known about dad going after 180,000. If the brain trust that runs the NCAA has a brain they would make a FINAL decision before the official bowl selections are made.... with luck they would make a decision before the SC game.

Alan

VanC":2ad6zlx5 said:
Alan":2ad6zlx5 said:
I think Baylor is a pretty good team, they have had a bit of a let down and ran into better teams, but you would get a god match up with them.

For this year, if a Pac 10 or Big 10 team goes to the national championship game their Rose bowl slot goes to a "non qualifying" team. So a second place,10-1 Stanford will not get the Rose Bowl slot. Now I think it will go to TCU. While I would love to see Wisc play Stanford in the RB I think it will be Wisc TCU.

That's just my impression,
Alan

Alan, I did some checking and, while I'm still a bit confused, it looks like you're right. If Oregon goes to the championship game, the Rose Bowl has to take the highest qualifier from a non-BCS conference as long as they meet all the criteria. That's different than it was four years ago. So right now it looks like Big 10 Champion vs. TCU. Also looks like Stanford will get shut out of the BCS games altogether. That's a shame. A playoff is looking better all the time.
Yet teams like East Carolina or UConn are guaranteed a major bowl with 7-5 records or 6-6. Seems Baylor beat Uconn early on about 50 points.

TexasBred":opg6ddg6 said:
Yet teams like East Carolina or UConn are guaranteed a major bowl with 7-5 records or 6-6. Seems Baylor beat Uconn early on about 50 points.
Yeah that whole automatic bid seems like a joke. There are many many teams better than either ECU or UConn. I guess I don't understand why any conference has an automatic bid. If the conference stinks why should anybody go to a major bowl game?

novaman":z7yu426d said:
TexasBred":z7yu426d said:
Yeah that whole automatic bid seems like a joke. There are many many teams better than either ECU or UConn. I guess I don't understand why any conference has an automatic bid. If the conference stinks why should anybody go to a major bowl game?

Just another reason the BCS should change the way they do things..... Let's say take the 10 to 16 teams with the best records at the end of the season, have them play each other if you lose you're out, keep the winners playing until all the losers are out, only one will remain. Knowing the brain trust at the BCS they will call it a "lose out" system and still screw it up with computers some how.

Alan

MistyMorning":3fgn6yu1 said:

Weagle, weagle, War dam Eagle!

novaman":3fgn6yu1 said:
I'm hoping that Auburn loses to SC.
I'm hoping Auburn wins. Even if they don't, they should play in the Championship game. Already beat S.C. once.

The system's good the way it is without a playoff. Get a playoff and the regular season won't mean jack. Like in the NBA. Or NHL.

I don't know what AU payed for Cam but he's worth every penney. :lol2:

ga.prime":22dk0f8q said:
The system's good the way it is without a playoff. Get a playoff and the regular season won't mean jack. Like in the NBA. Or NHL.
Regular season will be just as important as it is now. If you don't have a good enough record you don't get in. The top ten teams each year would likely have few if any teams with 2 or more losses so the pressure would still be on to win. A playoff system is the only fair way to determine a champion. I will assume Auburn and Oregon end up in the championship. Now I think it would be interesting for Stanford and Auburn to match up but that will never happen because Oregon already beat Stanford. That doesn't mean Stanford isn't better than Auburn, just that the 2 best teams in the country might reside in the same conference and somebody has to lose. Just like TCU won't get in because of strength of schedule. A playoff system would eliminate any what ifs and crown the true champion.

novaman":1ktk8q0y said:
ga.prime":1ktk8q0y said:
Regular season will be just as important as it is now. If you don't have a good enough record you don't get in. The top ten teams each year would likely have few if any teams with 2 or more losses so the pressure would still be on to win. A playoff system is the only fair way to determine a champion. I will assume Auburn and Oregon end up in the championship. Now I think it would be interesting for Stanford and Auburn to match up but that will never happen because Oregon already beat Stanford. That doesn't mean Stanford isn't better than Auburn, just that the 2 best teams in the country might reside in the same conference and somebody has to lose. Just like TCU won't get in because of strength of schedule. A playoff system would eliminate any what ifs and crown the true champion.

Prime, I'm not following your logic either, teams will still play their hearts out to make the playoff roster. The regular season will mean everything, if we had a 16 team playoff, the 17th, 18th ranked teams would still whine, but they would still get one of the many bowl games as would the rest of the 6 win teams.

If they had a 16 team playoff it would get most of the 1 loss teams in and probably good 2 loss teams. Using this year, the last regular game is Dec. 4, give the 16 a bye week, start playing 12/18, the championship game is 1/8..... No problem.

BTW, a big hats off to TCU for joining the Big East, no more debate about TCU being unworthy. Except for, no big east team deserves a BCS bowl game..... Oh there is always a problem..... Can't we all just get along?

Alan

Alan":15lheoec said:
novaman":15lheoec said:
TexasBred":15lheoec said:

Just another reason the BCS should change the way they do things..... Let's say take the 10 to 16 teams with the best records at the end of the season, have them play each other if you lose you're out, keep the winners playing until all the losers are out, only one will remain. Knowing the brain trust at the BCS they will call it a "lose out" system and still screw it up with computers some how.

Alan

I agree :wave:

Well, it's gonna be Auburn vs Oregon. Can Oregon handle Cam Newton? Can Auburn handle the second half onslaught of Oregon? Auburn by a field goal. 27-24. What say you Alan? Prediction time!

Well Alan and the Ducks have turned me into a real "Duck" fan. Heck I even liked the uniforms they wore last night. Got me an Oregon cap...none to be found down this way so had to order it. Will wear it proudly when the beat Auburn. :clap:

Isomade":1fkwtoa0 said:
Well, it's gonna be Auburn vs Oregon. Can Oregon handle Cam Newton? Can Auburn handle the second half onslaught of Oregon? Auburn by a field goal. 27-24. What say you Alan? Prediction time!

It sounds pretty certain the Ducks and Auburn ( still trying to figure out how a war eagle relates to a tiger) will play for the title. It will be official this evening..... After the 2001 BCS selection I still don't trust those morons, the year #2 ranked Ducks got passed up and Nebraska (who lost in the Big 10 championship) went on to get whipped by Miami in the big game and we beat Colorado, the Big 10 champions........ Sorry that still stings.

Cam newton is a handful, but I think, hope, our defense is better than Auburns. Our main back, James, is pretty sore and beat up right now, he's not hitting the holes like he did early in the season..... Nothing 37 days won't fix.

Iso, I think your score is a bit low with these high powered offenses, 42-34 Ducks...... Although my chest pains would prefer a 72-0 Ducks win. :D I read one Vegas source has an early line of Ducks by 3 1/2.

One last memory is we really stunk in the Rose Bowl last year, and 37 days will seem like forever. At least I have other games to watch, Aggies in the Cotton Bowl, Illini where they land, and of course Wisconsin beat the tar out of one of those wannabe teams TCU. I hope Stanford lands a good opponent, some say they will get the Big East champ :roll: , I'm sure they would prefer Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.

Alan....... And GO DUCKS!

TexasBred":hzsqum3p said:
Well Alan and the Ducks have turned me into a real "Duck" fan. Heck I even liked the uniforms they wore last night. Got me an Oregon cap...none to be found down this way so had to order it. Will wear it proudly when the beat Auburn. :clap:

Thanks TB, we can use all the help we can get getting our program known better places like Texas, OK and the self proclaimed football heaven the SEC. My wife came in to watch some of the Duck game with me last night, I informed her that it sounds like her Aggies were going to the Cotton Bowl. She wouldn't quit talking about her Aggies during my game, I reminded her OUR Ducks were about to get the chance at the national title...... I thought pausing the game multiple times may give her a hint that I'm really wanting to watch my Ducks..... She could care less about my needs our my Ducks, her Aggies were back in the Cotton Bowl..... After another DVR pause followed by a glare, she went in and called her sister, who lives in Iowa and is a Hawkeye fan, to harass her for an hour.... :lol: You got to love them and college football... and I do.

Hopefully your new Duck hat will get you more free beers than fist fights.
Alan

If they played next week AU would beat Oregon worse than they did S.C. yesterday. A month and a half from now who knows.

ga.prime":236ci4eb said:
If they played next week AU would beat Oregon worse than they did S.C. yesterday. A month and a half from now who knows.

And it begins. Pretty bold statement, but I'll take it for what it's worth, you are right I hate the long layoff between games a lot could change. Auburn has been on a real roll scoring the last 5 games and they really have my worried, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Since you seem like you pay more attention to Auburn than me, is this Cam newton thing completly done? or does the NCAA still have something going? What would happen if you guys lost Cam? How deep is Auburn? other impact players? I think I know the answers but would love a view from an SEC/ Auburn fan.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":if2i1q9i said:
What would happen if you guys lost Cam?
Haha does that really even have to be asked? Cam is the team. If he goes down that team is mediocre at best.

novaman":2gyc59at said:
Haha does that really even have to be asked? Cam is the team. If he goes down that team is mediocre at best.

I wouldn't dare make that statement in a room full of linemen. Nothing will PO a lineman worst than telling him he is nothing without the back field. Young smart assed quarterbacks and running backs, figure it out pritty quick on the field.

Latest posts