Any college football fans out there?

Help Support CattleToday:

ga.prime":1fcpypp8 said:
TexasBred":1fcpypp8 said:
ga.prime":1fcpypp8 said:
You should write a petition explaining your disappointment with the NCAA in this matter and get a bunch of people to sign it and mail it to the rules committee. Maybe you can get them to reverse.
A shame the Heisman doesn't also require high stardards of conduct as well as academics.
Right. Maybe that LaMicheal guy from Oregon would have gotten enough votes to win. He was only arrested and jailed earlier this year for assault and attempted strangulation of his girlfriend.
ga that all happened in the heat of extraordinary passion. :heart: After the cops left they both had that beer and cigarette they was needin'. :lol2: :lol2:

ga.prime":3ajuub32 said:
TexasBred":3ajuub32 said:
ga.prime":3ajuub32 said:
You should write a petition explaining your disappointment with the NCAA in this matter and get a bunch of people to sign it and mail it to the rules committee. Maybe you can get them to reverse.
A shame the Heisman doesn't also require high stardards of conduct as well as academics.
Right. Maybe that LaMicheal guy from Oregon would have gotten enough votes to win. He was only arrested and jailed earlier this year for assault and attempted strangulation of his girlfriend.

Ga.prime, let me help educate you on the past and done issue with LaMichael James, the issue that he served his time in jail, did his community service and sat out a game.... to still be the leading rusher, oh and by the way he made the first team all Pac 10 academic team with a 3.25 gpa. Here's a copy of the arrest report, remember this happened between a 19 and 20 year old kids.

Judge for your self how much the media blew it out of proportion.

Alan

http://www.scribd.com/mobile/documents/ ... _password=

Okay, ESPN is finishing the E. carolina, Maryland game, it's 51 to 13 with 2 mins to go. Baylor and illinois started a few minutes due to come up after this game. It sounds like I have to watch Maryland accept the trophy before they switch over to the real game..... I know who won this game, thanks for making me watch all the walk ons get a chance to play.

Just venting.
Alan

that is a suprise to me. I think the east Carolina Pirates are a better team than Maryland and my Hokies play both.

Maryland has already fired their coach as well.

Alan":3o7kedy9 said:
Okay, ESPN is finishing the E. carolina, Maryland game, it's 51 to 13 with 2 mins to go. Baylor and illinois started a few minutes due to come up after this game. It sounds like I have to watch Maryland accept the trophy before they switch over to the real game..... I know who won this game, thanks for making me watch all the walk ons get a chance to play.

Just venting.
Alan

Sure was nice to end the season on a positive note. I was proud of them. I got a little worried when Baylor closed it to 24-14 and seemed to have the momentum, but we went back to out muscling them and cruised on home. Sixteen starters back next year, a good recruiting class and some redshirt freshmen and sophmores that are supposed to be pretty good. Plus what looks to be a favorable schedule. I'm cautiously optimistic.

The icing on the cake was the Illini BB team beating Iowa on the road right after the bowl game. Let the fun begin.

Van your Illini looked awfully good. And you're right..they just flat out muscled Baylor. Really got something good to look forward to next year. I'm not a Baylor fan but thought the Illinois coach calling the bootleg for a touchdown so late in the game was uncalled for. Wish the QB from Baylor could play on a top team. He is a great kid and deserves more.

Van, I'll agree with TB, you should be smiling, I think that Illini team will do nothing but get better. I was very impressed with the QB and you've got two very good looking freshman wide receivers. They should be a strong team next year. I didn't have a problem with Bootleg, I think Baylor has all the blame for that. 11 Baylor players bit way too hard on the fake to the tailback, what happened to the containment guy? It was a running play and Baylor's job to stop it, I don't remember the last time I saw a run play at D1 level were the runner had that much open field ahead of him.... Although I did have this dream the other night..... My helmet had a yellow "O" on it and I...... :oops: . If a team is up by a bunch and starts bombing passes in the end zone, then I have a problem.

Does the Illini get Nebraska next year? They really stunk it up last night. I hate the huskies, like Jake Locker and will alway route for a Pac 10 win in the bowl games.

TB, I'm looking forward to the A&M game, we open up our season next year with LSU, I think it's at LSU. I think it may be tougher than our opener this year..... New Mexico St, we were up 59-0 at half time.

Alan

Alan I know a lot of folks think "if you don't like it then stop'em". And that's true. But to me it was just not the time or situation to be running a "deception" type play. Baylor had already thrown in the towel and I guess they thought the Illini had too. Oh well. Nobody got hurt. lol.

Hopefully the Aggies will be on top of their game. If not LSU will hand them their head early on. Still looking forward to seeing the DUCKS put a bruising on Tigers, aka War Eagles. should be a good game.

Right now I'm just mad.....Dallas won their game and Jerry Jones is grinning...ain't nothing uglier. :cry2:

TexasBred":1cap47kn said:
Still looking forward to seeing the DUCKS put a bruising on Tigers, aka War Eagles. should be a good game.
Auburn's collegiate football team, basketball team, etc. are NOT also known as War Eagles. They're the Auburn Tigers. War Eagle is the battle cry of fans of these teams and has been since 1916. If you go to an Auburn game, you will hear it endlessly used as a greeting between fans before they ever get in the stadium.

I was curious as to how the battle cry got started. Got this from the Auburn University web site:

"War Eagle" is Auburn's battle cry, not a mascot or nickname. The most popular story about the battle cry dates back to the first time Auburn met Georgia on the football field in 1892 and centers around a spectator who was a veteran of the Civil War. In the stands with him that day was an eagle the old soldier had found on a battlefield during the war. He had kept it as a pet for almost 30 years. According to witnesses, the eagle suddenly broke free and began majestically circling the playing field. As the eagle soared, Auburn began a steady march toward the Georgia end zone for a thrilling victory. Elated at their team's play and taking the bird's presence as an omen of success, Auburn students and fans began to yell "War Eagle" to spur on their team. At the game's end, the eagle took a sudden dive, crashed into the ground, and died. But the battle cry "War Eagle" lived on to become a symbol of the proud Auburn spirit.

The 1914 contest with the Carlisle Indians provides another story. The toughest player on the Indians' team was a tackle named Bald Eagle. Trying to tire the big man, Auburn began to run play after play at his position. Without even huddling, the Auburn quarterback would yell "Bald Eagle," letting the rest of the team know that the play would be run at the imposing defensive man. Spectators, however, thought the quarterback was saying "War Eagle," and in unison, they began to chant the resounding cry. There is another story surrounding the 1914 Carlisle game. Each time the Indians had scored during the season, fans and the Carlisle players yelled, "War Eagle." But on this particular afternoon, it was Auburn's own Lucy Hairston who adopted the battle cry as he danced across the goal line for the only touchdown of the game.

Another version of the War Eagle story comes from Indian lore. Legend says "War Eagle" was the name given to the large golden eagle by the Plains Indians because the eagle furnished feathers for use in their war bonnets. The rarest version of the origin of the "War Eagle" cry grew from a 1913 pep rally at Langdon Hall where students had gathered the day before the Georgia football game. Cheerleader Gus Graydon told the crowd, "If we are going to win this game, we'll have to get out there and fight, because this means war." During the frenzy, another student, E. T. Enslen, dressed in his military uniform, noticed something had dropped from his hat. Bending down, he saw it was the metal emblem of an eagle that had been loosened while he cheered. Someone asked him what he had found, and Enslen loudly replied, "It's a War Eagle!" History was made as the new cry echoed throughout the stadium the next day as Auburn battled Georgia.

ga.prime":3pchi5a8 said:
TexasBred":3pchi5a8 said:
Still looking forward to seeing the DUCKS put a bruising on Tigers, aka War Eagles. should be a good game.
Auburn's collegiate football team, basketball team, etc. are NOT also known as War Eagles. They're the Auburn Tigers. War Eagle is the battle cry of fans of these teams and has been since 1916. If you go to an Auburn game, you will hear it endlessly used as a greeting between fans before they ever get in the stadium.

Really?? Very unusual. Around here we just say "Howdy". :mrgreen: But they do have an Eagle that sits on some guys hand and even flies around the stadium some too don't they ga???

pdfangus":3s29qkhf said:
Our alumni greeting is "Go Hokies" . I get it whenever I wear by VT hat or Sweatshirt in public.

PDF, well your game is tonight, I don't think your Hokies will get by Stanford..... But then again, I thought Wisconsin would show TCU what it was like to play a real team. :oops: My hat's off to TCU, they just completely handled Wisc. and it made me give them a bunch more respect. I also respect them for jumping into the Big East, you can't judge from year to year, via the longhorns, but they have my attention and I look forward to watching them next year.

Ga, I just don't know what to think about you and your "war eagle" cry, I think it probably came from some drunk frat boy in the sixties.... Just after he lit up. Someone will be crying, don't think it will be my Ducks.

TB, good point about the gimmick play, it was along way from just running it up the middle.

Alan

Alan heck if they'd run it up the gut they probably still would have scored. :lol2: Baylor was gassed. And TCU does have a very good athletic program. And very high and hard academic standards as well. And there are only about 9000 students on campus which is pretty small compared to most Division I schools. Not much for basketball but have a very good baseball program every year do well in track ... mainly sprinters.

Alan":172mppea said:
Ga, I just don't know what to think about you and your "war eagle" cry, I think it probably came from some drunk frat boy in the sixties.... Just after he lit up. Someone will be crying, don't think it will be my Duck
I don't guess you read any of what Van posted on the War Eagle origin. Kind of silly considering you asked the question answered by Van's post 3 or 4 times in this thread. If you want to remain oblivious to a tradition dating from since Oregon was Indian territory, that's your business.

Alan":3arzsbbs said:
I thought Wisconsin would show TCU what it was like to play a real team. :oops: My hat's off to TCU, they just completely handled Wisc. and it made me give them a bunch more respect. I also respect them for jumping into the Big East, you can't judge from year to year, via the longhorns, but they have my attention and I look forward to watching them next year.
Maybe TCU is better than most gave them credit for. As much as I was disappointed to see a 7-9 team make it into the NFL playoffs, I have to say I am even more disappointed to see a 13-0 team go without a shot at the national title in college football. Maybe Auburn and Oregon would both beat TCU but how do we really know for sure? It's sad that TCU goes home with an undefeated record and wasn't even given a chance at the title.

ga.prime":2uopc75f said:
Alan":2uopc75f said:
Ga, I just don't know what to think about you and your "war eagle" cry, I think it probably came from some drunk frat boy in the sixties.... Just after he lit up. Someone will be crying, don't think it will be my Duck
I don't guess you read any of what Van posted on the War Eagle origin. Kind of silly considering you asked the question answered by Van's post 3 or 4 times in this thread. If you want to remain oblivious to a tradition dating from since Oregon was Indian territory, that's your business.

I did read Van's post, what a great history, it was an eagle that soared around the the field until Auburn won and then dropped from the sky and was dead on the field. No wait, it was a big guy named whatever eagle that the crowd screwed up the name....or whatever. Sorry sounds like a bunch of war eagle cr@p. I think my legend is the right one...a sixties stoner.

Love given you sh!t, now in really hope we win. :D

Alan

Latest posts