Any college football fans out there?

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, I gotta confess I fell asleep early in the 4th quarter so I didn't see the end. Liked what I saw till that point, though. Good game. Auburn's defensive linemen were beasts. Seemed like Oregon had the advantage in speed but not a huge advantage. One thing I couldn't understand was why Oregon kept trying to run the ball between the tackles. Kinda like beating your head against a brick wall.

Glad to see everyone is taking it well, both in victory and defeat. I was rooting for Oregon, but was glad it wasn't a blowout either way.

As for the thug thing, did you all know that my Illini have the most well behaved players in the country? It's true, unless you count the 4 or 5 that get arrested every year. :lol2:

I'm no longer surprised at anything that goes on at Auburn either considering what's happened the last 10-15 years. Almost anythign goes. The "thug" comment was sort of a play on what "Mike" the Auburn fan over on Rancher's called all the guys from LSU. Sort of like the pot calling the kettle black. Always been that way in the SEC. I was definitely pulling for the Ducks just because I was attracted to their style of play early in the year. Otherwise don't think either team could have beat the last 4-5 national champs or the teams they beat.

Always been that way in the SEC.
Aww now I see its the entire SEC ? Statistics speak for themselves. When your on top everybody wants to knock you down. Jealousy is a terrible thing.

Otherwise don't think either team could have beat the last 4-5 national champs or the teams they beat.
Neither team might not could have beat the last 4-5 National Champs the other night but Auburn did beat LSU and Alabama this year and they beat South Carolina twice and South Carolina beat Florida. Texas , well at 5-7 this year I have to believe they could have beaten Texas too. Not taking anything away from Oregon who had a great year but if they had played in the SEC this year IMO they might have won maybe half of their games.

Hey, who knows? The NCAA may take it all back at a later date. I am an Alabama fan anyhow so if that decision is made by the NCAA I will live with it just like others will have to live with the decision on Cam Newton that the NCAA has made at present time.

Just my final thoughts on all these posts.

Circle H Ranch

Many of the players on college football teams would not be in college if not for football. They're not there for college. They're trying out for the NFL. That's how the system works.

Remember the '84 Cotton Bowl? Georgia defeated #2 and previously unbeaten Texas. Sweet. Saw it on TV at the Fairmont Hotel in New Orleans. Was there for the Sugar Bowl game. We walked over to the Superdome after the Cotton Bowl and saw #3 AU beat Michigan. Came back to the hotel after the game and saw the end of the Orange Bowl where #5 Miami beat a seemingly invincible #1 and previously unbeaten Nebraska team. Talk about thugs. Final poll: #1 Miami, #2 Nebraska, #3 Auburn, #4 Georgia, #5 Texas...#8 Michigan.

Cattleman200":30j8vt9q said:
I am not talking about this incident. Did I not hear on the pregame show about I believe it was the QB for Oregon being in a car that was stopped for leaving a gas station without paying or something and when they stopped the car there was pot found? I know I am not dreaming that up. They said the other guy claimed it and he didnt get in trouble but by a lot of peoples guidelines he would be a thug by association. You guys act like the team is a bunch of angels. Heck like Ga Prime said the whole world is a thug world. Im not surprised at anything that happens in the NCAA. What i am surprised at is you guys defending these players like their your children and they can do no wrong.

Circle H Ranch

Well, you're kind of in the ball park on this, more or less in the bleachers. Darron Thomas, Oregon's QB, was a passenger in a car last spring driven and owned by Masoli former Duck QB and a probable Hiesman candidate. At the time Masoli was suspended from the Duck team for a year for stealing a laptop from a frat house early in the year. The car failed to stop coming out of a store, nothing was stolen, just failed to come to a complete stop. Masoli had the pot on him, it was his. That got him kicked off the team and he went to were he was welcomed, Ol Miss the SEC was happy to take a theft and pot head reject from the Ducks. :nod:

Alan

Well, I'm finally off of suicide watch so I guess I can post again :lol2: . Van nailed it as far I'm concerned, Ducks did not play their game. For whatever reason they kept trying to run the ball up the middle at Fairly. That's not how they got to the game, they are a "spread" offense, they usually ran the ball side line to side line, mixing in the pass or Thomas, their QB, running off the read option. Thomas really didn't run the ball at all. Auburn's D line just dominated us. I agree with an earlier post, the condition of the field was a joke, way to wet, and why re-sod the field two weeks before the game? Dumb.

Newton is a junior and I believe will be gone and will fizzle in the NFL, maybe a tight end? The Ducks will lose most of the O line and their good receiver, Maehl, along with a couple of linebackers, but most will be back along with a very good 2009 recruiting class. We have two red shirt freshman running backs ( out of Texas TB :D ) that are suppose to be very good, ones a big power back which we really need. Ah, on to next year..... LSU is only 214 days away (or something like that) :lol2: . Sounds like Les Miles is hanging around LSU.

Alan

ga.prime":3228hfr7 said:
Remember the '84 Cotton Bowl? Georgia defeated #2 and previously unbeaten Texas. Sweet. Saw it on TV at the Fairmont Hotel in New Orleans. Was there for the Sugar Bowl game. We walked over to the Superdome after the Cotton Bowl and saw #3 AU beat Michigan. Came back to the hotel after the game and saw the end of the Orange Bowl where #5 Miami beat a seemingly invincible #1 and previously unbeaten Nebraska team. Talk about thugs. Final poll: #1 Miami, #2 Nebraska, #3 Auburn, #4 Georgia, #5 Texas...#8 Michigan.

ga prime....do you remember the score of the 1986 Cottonbowl?? You're beloved Auburn Tigers were there playing my Aggies...they even brought Heisman Trophy Winner Bo Jackson with them. Don't bother to look it up. The Aggies treated'em like the illigitimate child at the family reunion. 36-16...remember....1st and goal.....Bo is still trying to score ...See any of us can pick our year and make the other look insignificant.

I was just reading Alan's post about Maehl and a few LB's leaving and was curious about James. Anybody know if he's coming back? I am assuming he has a year of eligibility left? He sure looks like he could be a force in the NFL. He's got good strength and excellent quickness.

novaman":1u008p5g said:
I was just reading Alan's post about Maehl and a few LB's leaving and was curious about James. Anybody know if he's coming back? I am assuming he has a year of eligibility left? He sure looks like he could be a force in the NFL. He's got good strength and excellent quickness.

Yes, James has already committed to coming back next year, he's a red shirt sophomore this year as his back up Barner and the QB.

Okay I'm a die hard fan but ESPN put out their "way to early" 2011 preseason poll :roll: That's too much even for me.... For what little it's worth;

1. Oklahoma
2. Alabama
3. Oregon
4. Florida St.
5. Boise St.

Alan

novaman":25vcllgv said:
Sort of reminds you of the running back playing for the Tennessee Titans....quick as a hiccup and blazing fast. Seems in an earlier post Alan mentioned he was an honor student so I'm sure he's probably thinking "education" as well.

TexasBred":2tmriu09 said:
ga.prime":2tmriu09 said:

ga prime....do you remember the score of the 1986 Cottonbowl?? You're beloved Auburn Tigers were there playing my Aggies...they even brought Heisman Trophy Winner Bo Jackson with them. Don't bother to look it up. The Aggies treated'em like the illigitimate child at the family reunion. 36-16...remember....1st and goal.....Bo is still trying to score ...See any of us can pick our year and make the other look insignificant.
Don't need to look it up. I was there. Can't buy liquor on New Years day in Dallas I found out. Dam cold that day. Real crappy neighborhood the Cotton Bowl's in.

TexasBred":1bhnmg64 said:
don't think either team could have beat the last 4-5 national champs or the teams they beat.
Even last years Alabama team? Bammer took the lead to win in the last 1:30 of that game to win over Auburn. Didn't have any Cam Newton either.

Just remembered one more thing about that Cotton Bowl. It was '85 not '86 I'm pretty sure. Jackie Sherrill was coaching A&M. Sherrill left a year or two later and A&M went on two year's probation for a variety of infractions. :???:

ga.prime":10lh6sj6 said:
Just remembered one more thing about that Cotton Bowl. It was '85 not '86 I'm pretty sure. Jackie Sherrill was coaching A&M. Sherrill left a year or two later and A&M went on two year's probation for a variety of infractions. :???:
No it was Jan 1, 86....50th anniversary of Cottonbowl. Kevin Murray was the QB for A&M and was the "culprit" in getting them put on probation. Also for whatever reason it ruined his chances of any NFL contract and he was an NFL quality QB...Sherrill left in '88...by the way he is a graduate of "University of Alabama".....and your'e right ga...the Cottonbowl is in a shythole of a neighborhood....and you are literally in "the hood".
http://www.mmbolding.com/bowls/Cotton_1986.htm

TexasBred":1p5efeb2 said:
ga.prime":1p5efeb2 said:
No it was Jan 1, 86....50th anniversary of Cottonbowl.
OK. '85 season, '86 Cotton Bowl. Gets confusing around those New Years dates.
TexasBred":1p5efeb2 said:
..Sherrill left in '88...by the way he is a graduate of "University of Alabama"..
:D That explains a lot. After leaving A&M he went to Miss. State. After Sherrill left Miss. State, they were put on probation. :lol2:

ga.prime":382hzgfv said:

Anybody see that ESPN 30 for 30 show about when SMU got the death penalty back in "87? Apparently being on probation was a way of life for the old Southwest Conference back then. I don't remember which year but they said at one point 6 of the 9 Southwest Conference teams were on probation at one time. Only clean schools were Arkansas, Baylor and Rice. With the others it was like a big game to see who could out cheat who. Bunch of oil rich good ole boys would pool some money and literally put recruits on a payroll as long as they were playing for their favorite team. Heck, even the governor of Texas was in on the SMU thing. Pretty amazing stuff.

Alan":1xeiiaan said:
I saw this and just couldn't help myself :D

http://yfrog.com/h0f6zhsj

roflmaoooooo..yep...supposedly the best QB money can buy. Doesn't matter what the NCAA and AU say. The church still got the new addition and AU got the QB they were trying to get.

And yes, ga, Sherrill and MSU were put on probation. Seems ol' Jackie learned well while a student and University of Alabama. At least he was a winner everywhere he coached.