Another safety net

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I had what I thought was a small problem with a culvert at the drive entering a property and got quite the education.

Water had undermined one of the concrete joints in the culvert and my thought was I'd just dig the joint up and shore the foundation and put the joint back in and seal with some mortar and the problem would be solved for next to nothing.

However, this was on a state highway and was told I needed to get a permit. A few phone calls and two meetings later I had a permit and instructions on how the culvert had to be installed. Figured this would be no big deal since a new pipe would only cost around $250. However, the specs also called for the installation of safety ends which cost around $450 and I needed to install two of these. Apparently these are really important because they prevent drunk drivers or drivers who are distracted while texting from having a head on collision with the pipe when they run off the road. Apparently these safety ends will insure the vehicle doesn't stop at the pipe but continues on till it hits the tree 20 feet from the pipe. Makes perfect sense really. Especially when you are told you must have one on the down traffic side to prevent the fella that is so distracted he comes across a lane of traffic before leaving the road and hitting the tree.

Of course this wasn't all. Had to do some soil stabilization things as well but I understand this and have no problem with this whatsoever. I just don't get these safety ends. Seems like a waste of money since the concrete pipes have been in place since 1980 and no one has run into them. Had common sense been used this fix would have cost no more than $100 but with the help of the government I'm now out around $1500. Oh, and get this. I thought since I was having to replace the whole pipe I might as well put in a 30 footer. However, this is another thing altogether and the estimated cost of doing this would be between $40,000 and $80,000.

Do you ever get the feeling you are having to pay for other people's stupidity with all these safety nets? I do but maybe I'm just paranoid. Sometimes I think common sense left the building with Elvis. Rant over.

You should try and put a water line under a rural highway. Solution is to damage the phone line So they have to come out and bore a new chsse under the road and when they leave you dig out the hole and Scoot your PVC pipe in the bore. They waste alot of space with only a small line in this hole so in essence I'm helping to keep this void from collapsing

I tried that several years ago. I went through the proper channels and I know how Alice felt when she followed the rabbit down the hole. Ended up putting in another well. Was much cheaper and a lot less headache. BTW - I did have a idea that would have worked but getting caught wouldn't have been good.

M-5":2ofspv3v said:
Should have just sent someone in culvert with some hydraulic concrete plugged the hole then fix dirt on top

True. Would have been cheaper but what about the drunk driver or the texter? We need to think about them. They are more precious than money it seems.

You need to just get a whistle that is small enough to fit inside the concrete pipe and push it through

Joe,

This is no surprise. This is why there is an outcry for tort reform. The government is doing the same thing companies are to reduce the ability of victims to bring tort litigation or to reduce damages they can receive. Yes. Those drunks and texters are more important than the cost you incurred. So the DOT of your state is doing just what Butterball does to protect them from the worker who comes in with a hangover and cuts his fingers off while cutting up a turkey.

Get used to it! Until there are limits on liability, this is the world we have to live in.

Don't get me started, I've been down this road with these idiots. I wouldn't let it go though, before it was all said and.done, I only had to buy the pipe. They sent their crew out and installed it and poured the safety heads on each side. They were so tired of me that I think they just finally yelled "uncle"

I was doing a driveway improvement (throwing down some rock) and DOT stopped as I was spreading it out. Guy started in on how it needed to be done and when finished to their specs I now have a launch ramp on each end of the culvert. $150.00 worth of rock cost me almost a grand by the time I was finished.

There is a company here that sells packing boxes and supplies. They built a new warehouse a couple years ago and went way over budget. Plans were made to widen the existing driveway and add another driveway so trucks could turn in and back up to the warehouse. Just to widen the existing driveway was going to cost $30,000. Not even including the second one. Owner refused to do it. Now trucks have to stop traffic on a busy highway while trying to turn and back onto a very narrow driveway and try to see saw their way in. I tried to talk him in just hiring it done one weekend at 2 in the morning.

zirlottkim":1k11ttle said:
There is a company here that sells packing boxes and supplies. They built a new warehouse a couple years ago and went way over budget. Plans were made to widen the existing driveway and add another driveway so trucks could turn in and back up to the warehouse. Just to widen the existing driveway was going to cost $30,000. Not even including the second one. Owner refused to do it. Now trucks have to stop traffic on a busy highway while trying to turn and back onto a very narrow driveway and try to see saw their way in. I tried to talk him in just hiring it done one weekend at 2 in the morning.

He must have wanted that 30' pipe. :lol: Don't have a choice here. Have to build another lane and deed it to DOT once you build it to their specifications. I agree it does make sense in some situations but I don't think it should be a blanket deal.

I'm having a good time with property that borders state highways. Yesterday I had some idiot run off the road and through a section of fence. They say shyt happens in 3's. Can't wait to see what's next. :bang:

Quitchur beechin.
Resistance is futile..you will (all) be assimilated into the collective.
My brother encountered similar problems when he put in a new entrance up on the FM road. Cost him about $3k if I remember correctly--had to have the same safety ends, and the tie in to the roadway itself had to meet some obscure govt spec. Evidently wasn't very good specs tho..flood water washes it out almost every year, along with the shoulder both sides along the whole length of the road in front of his place.

There IS something to be said about having property without direct public road access or bordering a public road.
(Being alongside a National Forest isn't much better tho)

greybeard":rslhmn20 said:
Evidently wasn't very good specs tho..flood water washes it out almost every year, along with the shoulder both sides along the whole length of the road in front of his place.

Or maybe the water hasn't read the manual.

Last pipe I put in on a state road was on top of a hill. Rather than making a simple berm I had to put a pipe with these DUI assisters on it. Also had to provide a $16,000 bond till the work was completed to their specs and it only took 3 months to get permission because the "engineer" was always on vacation or never showed up when promised. I can't put my feelings into words of how I felt about living in Merika knowing I pay good money for this nonsense.

I've done quite a bit of work for txdot and their contractors over the years. They can really be a pain in the ass. And the inefficient manner in which they do anything except eat lunch is maddening for sure.
With that said I'm not so stupid as to think the safety designs put into the roads my family drives are in place to protect drunk drivers.

Latest posts