Another mastitis question

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunny Do Ranch":3ttfr74t said:
Well the heat is gone and she seems much more comfortable. The only thing is that when I milk her out it looks like water. Does that mean that the quarter is gone?

It could mean that but it could also mean that she has more than just a quarter infection, maybe acute mastitis, where IV drugs would be called for. Usually around here when they flare up, when they are milking, they don't generally lose that quarter, if treated properly,could be a sign of something worse going on.

Gail

milkmaid":153udnyx said:
TexasBred":153udnyx said:
She will usually need a follow up dose as well. I'll stick with Quartermaster if I need it. ;-) And do make it a habit to test EVERY cow rather than those questionable.

I brought up Twin Penn and Penn G to use as examples of withdrawal times, not because I recommend them for treatment. In fact, I very rarely use them for mastitis, and never without an IMM drug in combo.

Do you make a habit of testing fresh heifers?

We tested everthing before it went into the milk string. We milked 2500 cows. It was easier to draw samples on and test everything that was fresh than to look up records and determine if a cow was a fresh heifer. Even got some false positives at times and they were always held out another day and retested to be certain.

GMN":1psyfx1f said:
Hunny Do Ranch":1psyfx1f said:
Well the heat is gone and she seems much more comfortable. The only thing is that when I milk her out it looks like water. Does that mean that the quarter is gone?

It could mean that but it could also mean that she has more than just a quarter infection, maybe acute mastitis, where IV drugs would be called for. Usually around here when they flare up, when they are milking, they don't generally lose that quarter, if treated properly,could be a sign of something worse going on.

Gail

Gail sounds like acute and what I would consider incurrable mastitis. You can treat it and it will turn white again but skip one day and you have watery fluid. I just never had any luck with it.

Latest posts