Nurse cow question.

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
I have a friend that is thinking about purchasing a jersey cow that currently has a 5 day old angus calf on her, and she is 7 months bred to an angus bull. Would he have to pull that angus calf off the cow before she calves, and if so, how far ahead of her due date would he need to? He is hoping the jersey can raise the angus calf until 6 or 7 months, or weaning, so he does not have to feed the angus calf so much.
He is getting the cow for free for feeding out the angus calf to 1200 pounds, does that sound like a good deal? I am not a dairy person, so I am asking for him since he came to me.

Fire Sweep Ranch":2hzb8pol said:
I have a friend that is thinking about purchasing a jersey cow that currently has a 5 day old angus calf on her, and she is 7 months bred to an angus bull. Would he have to pull that angus calf off the cow before she calves, and if so, how far ahead of her due date would he need to? He is hoping the jersey can raise the angus calf until 6 or 7 months, or weaning, so he does not have to feed the angus calf so much.
He is getting the cow for free for feeding out the angus calf to 1200 pounds, does that sound like a good deal? I am not a dairy person, so I am asking for him since he came to me.

I haven't fooled with nurse cows in a while, but your friend should be able to add one or two more calves along with the angus that's on it now if he wants, especially if he's willing to feed her. I've even heard of people keeping a set of calves on a Jersey until they're about 3 months old and eating feed, then pulling them off and doing the same with another set. Anyway, I'd think that as long as he gets the calf (or calves) off of her about 3-4 months before she's due she should be fine.

I don't have any thoughts on whether or not it's a good deal.

Would he have to pull that angus calf off the cow before she calves, and if so, how far ahead of her due date would he need to?
I would say yes. Because it will consume the colostrum that is made for her biological calf. I believe that the colostrum is set several months ahead of time, so double check me on that.

M.Magis":2ll9r4mh said:
How would leaving the current calf on her affect the colostrum for the new calf? Or would it not?

Leaving calves on a nurse cow would affect the colostrum just like if you left a calf on a range cow until she had the next one. That would also pull the cow down, and the new calf wouldn't amount to much.

M.Magis":3npdj30h said:
How would leaving the current calf on her affect the colostrum for the new calf? Or would it not?
M.magis the cow begins producing colostrum during the last few months of her pregnancy due to hormonal changes. Then it only last for a short period of time after giving birth. (Only a limited supply is produced.) By leaving another calf on her, that calf will consume all of the colostrum leaving none for when her biological calf gets here. Sounds like the damage may already be done.
I do not know how to explain it any simpler than that.

The cow is 7 months bred. She needs time to dry up and rest. Pull the angus calf and put it on a bottle. I bet you can see every rib on the nurse cow from 100 yards away.
You can put the calf back on the jersey in 2 months if you desire. She will make more milk than one calf can handle. if she is fed a little.

the calf needs tobe off her now.she is heavy bred right now.so she needs 2 months to rest.she has to have clostrum milk for her calf when its born.

The cow needs to be dry now. 50-60 days dry prior to calving. Is she confirmed pregnant? If not, have her checked before drying her off...

Getting a free Jersey cow in exchange for feeding a calf to 1200 lbs is not a good deal. Sounds like he wants the calf finished, and besides the things that can go wrong for the calf between now and then (14-18 months away), the 800lb-finish time usually costs about $500. The birth-800lb time is going to be the cow's feed cost for 6-7 months plus calf feed. Not worth a free Jersey IMO.

I'm sorry. Somehow I completely missed the part about the cow being 7 months bred. I apologize, and agree that the calf should be pulled off now.

milkmaid":18y0seda said:
The cow needs to be dry now. 50-60 days dry prior to calving. Is she confirmed pregnant? If not, have her checked before drying her off...

Getting a free Jersey cow in exchange for feeding a calf to 1200 lbs is not a good deal. Sounds like he wants the calf finished, and besides the things that can go wrong for the calf between now and then (14-18 months away), the 800lb-finish time usually costs about $500. The birth-800lb time is going to be the cow's feed cost for 6-7 months plus calf feed. Not worth a free Jersey IMO.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Along with the fact he is going to have to bottle feed a week old calf if he has to pull it now. Milk replacer is very expensive!

branguscowgirl":37guv7rm said:
M.Magis":37guv7rm said:
M.magis the cow begins producing colostrum during the last few months of her pregnancy due to hormonal changes. Then it only last for a short period of time after giving birth. (Only a limited supply is produced.) By leaving another calf on her, that calf will consume all of the colostrum leaving none for when her biological calf gets here. Sounds like the damage may already be done.
I do not know how to explain it any simpler than that.
Thanks, that's what I thought. Just wanted to confirm.

My vet told me that colostrum isn't produced until the calf is born

she needs dried off , so she can calve in 2 months , dairy cows are dry for 60 days before calving again
so she can recover from lactation and build up colostrum for her calf when it is born ,you will have to bottle feed the other calf , and you may not be able to put it back on the cow as it will push out the smaller calf , till it is big enough to fight for its teats , you can put calves on that are close in size as hers and it works well
Suzanne

Latest posts