Question About Lactobaccillus

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
In Milk. Where does it come from? Is it made in the mammary gland or is it an impurity that comes from the milking process itself?

I've always thought it was naturally present in the milk. I guess it depends on the strain. Acidophilus is naturally present in the mouth & digestive tracts of humans and some animals, including cows. How, exactly, it gets from the digestive tract to the udder, would be purely speculation on my part.
Sorry, I can't help beyond that. :???:
I know that in yoghurt & cheese making they add additional L.A.to speed the colonization/fermentaion process. I assume to preclude the establishment of other, potentially dangerous, bacteria.

Jogee Lactobacillus strains are naturally occuring but can also be supplemented into the digestive system of humans and animals. Rather than go into a long winded spill here's a link that is pretty good explaining many of the beneficial aspects of some of the various strains. Hope it helps some. For whatever it's worth I take a probiotic capsule daily.

http://www.academicjournals.org/ajmr/pd ... 0Ahmed.pdf

Ok, I was going a little deep on this one and I didn't want to post anything till I saw what I could drum up from the think tank.

CF, that's the same impression I had but I was reading some publications by the USDA an the CDC and if I understand what they are saying it is not and it is only found in the gastrointestinal tracts of mammals and is not passed through the mammary gland. If I'm following what they are saying correctly then this means the lactobaccillus in milk in is an impurity (a good one albeit) which is a sign there could be other impurities (possibly bad) in the raw milk as well. TB, unless I missed something your link also seems to confirm this.

FWIW, I'm in a debate with a greenie and am just trying to keep my facts straight. :mrgreen:

Jogeephus":2xtx3l2k said:
CF, that's the same impression I had but I was reading some publications by the USDA an the CDC and if I understand what they are saying it is not and it is only found in the gastrointestinal tracts of mammals and is not passed through the mammary gland. If I'm following what they are saying correctly then this means the lactobaccillus in milk in is an impurity (a good one albeit) which is a sign there could be other impurities (possibly bad) in the raw milk as well. TB, unless I missed something your link also seems to confirm this

Got confirmation last week from the FDA and GDA that this is correct. (Not that anyone cares - just posting for posterity sake)