Another Ft Hood Shooting

Help Support CattleToday:

Injuries in two locations?
Is there more than 1 shooter or did the shooter hit both locations?
It seems counter-intuitive (to me) to have soldiers shelter in place.
I guess we'll learn more soon.... :frowns:

What we really need is to further cut funds for mental healthcare and funds to support those we send into battle. It's their fault, not ours, right?

Didn't learn anything the first round at the base. Wanna bet we won't learn anything from this go around?

gimpyrancher":322iq6wc said:
What we really need is to further cut funds for mental healthcare and funds to support those we send into battle. It's their fault, not ours, right?

Didn't learn anything the first round at the base. Wanna bet we won't learn anything from this go around?
Dam man...he was a freakin' truck driver. He got pissed because he wanted off and another soldier told him he needed to obtain and submit the correct forms. (That's the latest anyway).

When they let the mental cases into federal service, they have an obligation to help them. This is/was a tragedy no matter how you look at it. PS: Don't discount any military service particularly during war time. Even the secretaries working at American bases in Texas are effected and can suffer from PTSD.

TexasBred":32s74tam said:
gimpyrancher":32s74tam said:

Dam man...he was a freakin' truck driver. He got be nice because he wanted off and another soldier told him he needed to obtain and submit the correct forms. (That's the latest anyway).

Target rich environment for a coward.
Soon as someone went to throwing lead his way he ended it.

gimpyrancher":1gkb12ll said:
When they let the mental cases into federal service, they have an obligation to help them. This is/was a tragedy no matter how you look at it. PS: Don't discount any military service particularly during war time. Even the secretaries working at American bases in Texas are effected and can suffer from PTSD.

The definition of PTSD has been bastardized by people like you. It originated as a very specific and real condition of soldiers who experienced battle. Not just any tom, dick or harry that gets into a car crash going to the grocery store.

Just like many other psychological/medical definitions, it was changed for political gain- think homosexuality. Look at the official definition pre-1970's.

The original individual diagnosed with PTSD was treated very specifically and much more successfully than they are today because of the all inclusiveness of the diagnosis- psychologists/psychiatrists are not being properly trained. Your definition is actually ruining the care of the people you claim to want to help.

I know well a man that is very passionate about this subject, and has worked in the field for years.

I"m with George Carlin on this.. Keep making the disease name longer, so that you then have to use it's acronym and you lose sight of what it really is

WW1... it was called Shell Shock... Simple, honest direct language.. it nearly sounds like the guns themselves
WW2... it was called Battle Fatigue... Takes a little longer to say and doesn't seem to hurt as much
Korea... it was called Operational exhaustion... up to 8 syllables now... and it sounds like something that might happen to your car!
Vietnam.. it was called Post-traumatic stess disorder... and the pain is completely buried under jargon.
"I bet if we had still been calling it Shell Shock some of the Vietnam veterans would have gotten the attention they needed"

If you want to hear the whole works, I think it's on Youtube... the name of the skit is "Euphemisms"

Nesi and CF, I agree with you 100% and think you have pretty well hit the nail on the head. I have a close family member that works in the HAWC at one of the bases and its disgusting to hear of all the people flocking in to the center trying to claim PTSD. Simply put, a diagnosis of PTSD insures you a check with early retirement. Sure there are some people who have real mental issues but the system is clogged with vermin with a grandiose sense of entitlement who think they should get a free ride from the government. Heck, with the definition of this disease now I suspect each of us on this board in some way could make claims and qualify for the free ride so as Gimpy points out that even secretaries are suffering from it is very true. Even wives and children show up claiming to have it. They call this tertiary PTSD and when properly weaseled and the children properly coached the kids can get a crazy check.

That truck driver didn't have PTSD if he did I am a Japanese aviator.
HeII I seen guys in the oil industry try and go for that diagnosis because they went through
an explosion and fire and someone got burnt or killed. I should be stark raving mad then for the number I have seen. That is a complete joke to what men have seen in real combat.
It is a symptom of our society as others have said.

I would think some people are more easily suceptible to it than others, but I don't doubt there's plenty of suckers too

One thing I remember is suddenly everyone has asthma... young kids who were in fact perfectly healthy... I remember as a kid climbing a mountain with one.. If I was ahead because there was something I wanted to see, he'd whine to stop because of his asthma, but if he was ahead, he was doing perfectly fine... Allergies are another one.. Yes, some people have them, and they are serious, but what's with all these lactose and gluten allergies all of a sudden.. I mean it took only 5 years of clever marketing to make people think they have this sickness... besides the point, they aren't allergies, but maybe intolerances.. which are different

Latest posts