Strangers in the hood

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
It's about 2.5 miles from my house to my and the main farm I rent. There's 9 houses in the neighborhood. I'm the young kid on the block by at least 20years ( I'll be 40 nxt July)
Anyway, going to do chores this morning there was a rough looking jeep Cherokee pulled off the side of the road a guy holding a gas can flagged me down. It was fifty this morning and he was in shorts and a t-shirt. He said he thought someone had siphoned their has last night. There was an older lady driving and the guy said she had an appointment. They were 4 miles out of their way in a country gravel road. The guy said he had $9 for gas back home if I would take him there. Then he asked if I could go get him a gal of gas. I had to get gas anyway so I said I would go get him some. I came back, he was talking on a smart phone. I gave him the gas, told him they needed to go back to get more gas, handed him $20 and said good luck. I wanted to tell him that they didn't belong there and not to come back,but I thought better of it.
I don't like strangers in our neighborhood. The neighbors all look out for each other, but they all call me if there's a problem.
Meth is a big problem around here. I don't know if that was part of this morning, but it wouldn't surprise me.

It's about 2.5 miles from my house to my and the main farm I rent. There's 9 houses in the neighborhood. I'm the young kid on the block by at least 20years ( I'll be 40 nxt July)
Anyway, going to do chores this morning there was a rough looking jeep Cherokee pulled off the side of the road a guy holding a gas can flagged me down. It was fifty this morning and he was in shorts and a t-shirt. He said he thought someone had siphoned their has last night. There was an older lady driving and the guy said she had an appointment. They were 4 miles out of their way in a country gravel road. The guy said he had $9 for gas back home if I would take him there. Then he asked if I could go get him a gal of gas. I had to get gas anyway so I said I would go get him some. I came back, he was talking on a smart phone. I gave him the gas, told him they needed to go back to get more gas, handed him $20 and said good luck. I wanted to tell him that they didn't belong there and not to come back,but I thought better of it.
I don't like strangers in our neighborhood. The neighbors all look out for each other, but they all call me if there's a problem.
Meth is a big problem around here. I don't know if that was part of this morning, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Sounds like our typical meth heads! You just bought him four hits.

I had a crack head show up beating on the front door at 2 a.m. a couple of years ago, toting around a little (probably 4 or 5 year old) kid, claiming that he needed money to get some Tylenol for her. I told him that I had just what he needed, ask him to wait in one of the rocking chairs, had one of my boys (with a 12 ga in hand) keep an eye on him while I went inside and got a bottle of children's Tylenol. He thanked me and went next door and pulled the same crap. The lady next door called the cops!

That kind of thing, is very common here, Alcoholics and people on drugs of all kinds are common occurrence.
There is also apparently a sizable homeless population here as well,
We stopped getting our gasoline at the places down town a few years ago, because seemed like almost every time we would be approached and hassled by people trying to bum money. Now it's spreading out to the ones on the by pass too, as well as in the Walmart parking lot. While back a young fellow was running up to people inside the Kroger's grocery store.
Over the years there has been quite a few instances of drunks or dopeheads showing up at the house usually wanting gasoline. I tried to accommodate them if I could just to get shed of them. Some of the other strange instances though I just strongly suggested that they leave the property and hope they didn't come back.
May help some that we good watchdogs

That kind of thing, is very common here, Alcoholics and people on drugs of all kinds are common occurrence.
There is also apparently a sizable homeless population here as well,
We stopped getting our gasoline at the places down town a few years ago, because seemed like almost every time we would be approached and hassled by people trying to bum money. Now it's spreading out to the ones on the by pass too, as well as in the Walmart parking lot. While back a young fellow was running up to people inside the Kroger's grocery store.
Over the years there has been quite a few instances of drunks or dopeheads showing up at the house usually wanting gasoline. I tried to accommodate them if I could just to get shed of them. Some of the other strange instances though I just strongly suggested that they leave the property and hope they didn't come back.
May help some that we good watchdogs
I have put one in the penitentiary twice, he's a violent meth like a mean drunk.
Both times he was armed just not as well till the sheriff arrived.
Problem with most of them is they are high and been run off from so many places they don't remember which ones.
I finally got some relief when they started realizing the DA was going to file and go after any that got arrested here or reported. They now pretty much avoid my place the security cameras worked wonders. If I have a picture the DA and Sheriff department is in hot pursuit. They really got serious here and moved most of our problems to surrounding counties. They will relocate.

I have put one in the penitentiary twice, he's a violent meth like a mean drunk.
Both times he was armed just not as well till the sheriff arrived.
Problem with most of them is they are high and been run off from so many places they don't remember which ones.
I finally got some relief when they started realizing the DA was going to file and go after any that got arrested here or reported. They now pretty much avoid my place the security cameras worked wonders. If I have a picture the DA and Sheriff department is in hot pursuit. They really got serious here and moved most of our problems to surrounding counties. They will relocate.
Thanks for the response, we were talking recently about cameras, I think that would be a good investment.
They evidently aren't very serious about cleaning up this area, as all kinds of things happen in broad daylight as well as night and getting more so all the time.
People high on meth or whatever else are out of their heads and dangerous, then if they aren't on anything at the time they have pickled their brain till they ain't right then either and desperate to get their next drug fix.
It's a mess around here it's like being in the middle of a low budget zombie movie.

Thanks for the response, we were talking recently about cameras, I think that would be a good investment.
They evidently aren't very serious about cleaning up this area, as all kinds of things happen in broad daylight as well as night and getting more so all the time.
People high on meth or whatever else are out of their heads and dangerous, then if they aren't on anything at the time they have pickled their brain till they ain't right then either and desperate to get their next drug fix.
It's a mess around here it's like being in the middle of a low budget zombie movie.
My fishing partner used to be the warden before he passed a few years back.
I really never understood the drug addiction until we became friends. There is no logical thought process happening, its all about the fix . It's like the guy murdering the minimart cashier for forty bucks with six cameras on him. That's okay if it gets his fix today, their entire thought process is about the fix and the money to get it.
One of the most profound things he told me once dried out most of these people were really talented and had good parents. He said 90% would tell you straight up when they got out they going to get a fix, they considered prison a cost of life.

I really never understood the drug addiction until we became friends. There is no logical thought process happening, its all about the fix . It's like the guy murdering the minimart cashier for forty bucks with six cameras on him. That's okay if it gets his fix today, their entire thought process is about the fix and the money to get it.
One of the most profound things he told me once dried out most of these people were really talented and had good parents. He said 90% would tell you straight up when they got out they going to get a fix, they considered prison a cost of life.
That is true, I have known some very talented people that waste their talents and ruin their lives on that stuff. Got a friend that can do all kinds of building construction. If I need any building or house repair he is my go to. Good of a guy as you would ever meet as long as he isn't using. He been in and out of jail a lot, and I'm hoping his last stint in prison finally woke him up to where he stays sober.
My ex was and probably still is an addict. She is from a respected family, but she got around drugs and her family tried to help her but probably enabled her addiction more so.
Drug addiction and alcoholism are not respecters of persons they afflict all walks of life, and eventually if someone goes far enough down that rat hole they are all in the same boat of desperation.

I'd done the same thing. You did the right thing, if they were drug addicts that's on them not you. They may have just been having a rough time and really appreciate your help. The government gives low income people phones. There are them pre paid phone too.

Yep sad... I've seen this happen way to much.

Latest posts