Another Bully Bit The Dust

Help Support CattleToday:

Unfortunately, whether you're dealing with a schoolyard bully or national security, violence is the only way, but it should always be a last resort.

I only had to deal with two bullies growing up. One was handled by the parents and one with a bloody nose. Both stopped the problem. But that's not always the case. When I was in the fourth grade there was a family that lived on our block whose 17 year old son was shot to death after he had beat the crap out of another kid who had been picking on his younger brother. Two families were torn apart. It doesn't always have a happy ending.

Everyone should do their part to become more informed and have the courage to get involved. It appears that the U.S. Department of Education is taking more aggressive action against schools, public and private, that do not begin to act aggressively to monitor and punish bullying. How long do you think it would take to solve the problem if negligent and irresponsible school administrators, municipalities and private schools were held criminally culpable and financially liable? Instead, our young people are being told they must bear this burden. The inactions of authority figures such as teachers, principles and school administrators should be unacceptable in our society, yet it happens every day. There is a greater push for Anti-bullying policy now than ever before. The problem is very complex and requires input from everybody not just a few. Studies on the subject of bullying are virtually non-existent before 1980. There are several good Anti-bullying sites on the Web.

I apologize for being on such a rant
Bear

bear":3c1e1gjs said:
Everyone should do their part to become more informed and have the courage to get involved. It appears that the U.S. Department of Education is taking more aggressive action against schools, public and private, that do not begin to act aggressively to monitor and punish bullying. How long do you think it would take to solve the problem if negligent and irresponsible school administrators, municipalities and private schools were held criminally culpable and financially liable? Instead, our young people are being told they must bear this burden. The inactions of authority figures such as teachers, principles and school administrators should be unacceptable in our society, yet it happens every day. There is a greater push for Anti-bullying policy now than ever before. The problem is very complex and requires input from everybody not just a few. Studies on the subject of bullying are virtually non-existent before 1980. There are several good Anti-bullying sites on the Web.

I apologize for being on such a rant
Bear

The studies were short and simple. When you got tired of being messed with you waited around a corner with a bat. End of study.

bear":2htjuwef said:
3-way, it's a little more complex than that for most.
Bear

It doesn't need to be. I always told my kids one simple thing. "You don't have to be tough, you just have to be willing" Most if not all bullies are cowards, and very few of them are willing to pay the price if someone is willing to fight back. As long as they think there aren't real consequences they bully. If they KNOW there are REAL consequences they don't.

I spent 2 years living in north Omaha in the projects while my Dad was at Creighton U. There were 3 other white kids in my kindergarden class. I think I know little bit about getting pushed around.

MODS!, don't think that is a racist statement. It is simply a statement of fact!

3 way it is pretty obvious from your posts that you have had to deal with issues at some time or another and still carry some feelings because of those experiences. If the adults and school officials around you at the time were better educated and more assertive in identifying the problem and taking the appropriate action you may be free of those feelings and your attitude may be different. I am sorry you know so much about being pushed around but it did not need to be this way.
Bear

bear":1nn9axrn said:
3 way it is pretty obvious from your posts that you have had to deal with issues at some time or another and still carry some feelings because of those experiences. If the adults and school officials around you at the time were better educated and more assertive in identifying the problem and taking the appropriate action you may be free of those feelings and your attitude may be different. I am sorry you know so much about being pushed around but it did not need to be this way.
Bear

I doubt that I went thru much more than anyone else. My whole point was you either take it or you don't.

For point of reference I will relate this to you. When my oldest was a freshman on the wrestling team he and another little wanna be stud were picking on the trainer for having Dumbo ears. The coach called me and asked me what I thought. I told him I thought he oughta kick both their asses and make them run for a week till they puked.. He did and that was the end of it.

No guvment funded studies, no counseling, problem solved. And to this day neither one of them will make fun of Matt's ears.

That's great! The situation was recognized and adult intervention helped to steer those boys in the right direction. Not all of these situations are recognized and most are situations where adults and staff have chose not to recognize them. I have a guy working for me that has a boy in the 5th grade. He is just a little guy who is small for his age and even smaller than most of the girls in his class. He has been coming home from school with bruises on his arms and shoulders. The boy bully is large for his age and three times the size of the little guy. The bully has already been suspended for similar actions against other students yet he continues to bully. The little guy has told his teacher and his dad has been to the principle. The only response dad has received from the principle is for the little guy to fight back and the teacher looks the other way. There have been instances at home where this bully has been tormenting kids in their neighborhood and when parents come out to tell him to go home he flips them off. Probably no parenting at home. Whose responsibility is it now? Even schools where suicides have occurred and was proven the suicide was a result of bullying, some school officials say there is no problem. There is a lot more known about bullying and its side effects today than when you and I were kids. For adults and school staff to standby and do nothing with the knowledge and resources available today to guard against bullying or maybe even stop it, they are no less guilty than the bully himself or herself and should be punished as well.
Bear

Latest posts