Angus: $M

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch said:
Connealy Thunder was a good old bull who really came out smelling like a rose.
claw set top 2% accuracy .69
foot angle top 10%
$M top 10%
I was glad to see that. I'm putting him on some Bismarck daughters as I already like my Bismarcks x Kaboom. Might as well double down

LCBulls said:
Ebenezer said:
LCBulls said:
Great Point! Too bad you weren't on the AAA board of directors.
Members were asked to provide input some time back. As all of you know: the AAA is a wonderful organization and does all things so well while looking out for each and every members without bias and in full public view of factors which determine BOD decisions. (This is a statement for a man looking for one "yes man"!) ;-) I and I am sure many others provided input. My recommendation was to set up a Stay EPD like RA. So with the good of all members in mind, no doubt, the BOA gave us $M as it is.

I am glad that they took the time to develop a $M value. As we have been striving to breed Maternally focused Cows/ Bulls. I'm sure that much thought and input went into this decision. I will certainly use this new value to compare Sires that I like, but I also know that some things about it could use tweaking like Optimal Milk and CED,CEM overly weighted in my opinion.
I love the foot score EPDs.
You can see the $C value in reports also, if you're interested. I know they indicated the formula for doing it but it's rather neat to see it all come together. My Acclaim/D279 embryo bull is top 1%. Can't wait to get all the others registered.

NEFarmwife said:
LCBulls said:
Ebenezer said:
Members were asked to provide input some time back. As all of you know: the AAA is a wonderful organization and does all things so well while looking out for each and every members without bias and in full public view of factors which determine BOD decisions. (This is a statement for a man looking for one "yes man"!) ;-) I and I am sure many others provided input. My recommendation was to set up a Stay EPD like RA. So with the good of all members in mind, no doubt, the BOA gave us $M as it is.

I am glad that they took the time to develop a $M value. As we have been striving to breed Maternally focused Cows/ Bulls. I'm sure that much thought and input went into this decision. I will certainly use this new value to compare Sires that I like, but I also know that some things about it could use tweaking like Optimal Milk and CED,CEM overly weighted in my opinion.
You can see the $C value in reports also, if you're interested. I know they indicated the formula for doing it but it's rather neat to see it all come together. My Acclaim/D279 embryo bull is top 1%. Can't wait to get all the others registered.

$C is a terrible decision, in my opinion.
We're selling most of our Acclaims. Look great on Paper, but most females look like Cow Elk.
Statement was a big disappointment at stud.
Heard that Big League was a train wreck.

At least Acclaim has decent foot scores. Unlike Ten X and Consensus bred cattle. They did get his MW and MH correct this last EPD change though.

LCBulls said:
NEFarmwife said:
LCBulls said:

$C is a terrible decision, in my opinion.
We're selling most of our Acclaims. Look great on Paper, but most females look like Cow Elk.
Statement was a big disappointment at stud.
Heard that Big League was a train wreck.

At least Acclaim has decent foot scores. Unlike Ten X and Consensus bred cattle. They did get his MW and MH correct this last EPD change though.

We have one Acclaim heifer that isn't looking hot (and she may not be an Acclaim, we'll have to see) but her brothers look good. We weren't fans as they grew but now that they're out to pasture, they've never looked better.

I am hearing Statement is not good. A friend bred his and loved their initial growth, now he says they're the poorest. I believe he's going to have us feed them out this year for him. So, we'll have to see how they do there.

I like the new additions to epds.
$M helps answer the common question of "What can I expect from so-n-so for replacements?
Notice I said helps and did not say, the be all end all when breeding for replacement females.
Claw set and foot angle are big improvements over the old standard method of hearsay and rumour.

dbird33 said:
First pass looks like a cow with CED 20, BW -3, WW 80, CEM 20, Milk 50 is going to have a real
high $M...
Appears there is more to it than the nonexistent animal you described, in example:
MGR Treasure 18156972
ced 7
bw -.8 accuracy .92
ww 71
sc top 25%
doc top 25%
claw set top 30%
foot angle top 5%
cem 16
Milk 12 (bottom 5%)
mw top 45%
mh 50% (breed average)
$EN top 40%
$M top 15%
$B top 15%

Appears Treasure will be a super star among those worried about too much milk.

Son of Butch said:
dbird33 said:
First pass looks like a cow with CED 20, BW -3, WW 80, CEM 20, Milk 50 is going to have a real
high $M...
Appears there is more to it than the nonexistent animal you described, in example:
MGR Treasure 18156972
ced 7
bw -.8 accuracy .92
ww 71
sc top 25%
doc top 25%
claw set top 30%
foot angle top 5%
cem 16
Milk 12 (bottom 5%)
mw top 45%
mh 50% (breed average)
$EN top 40%
$M top 15%
$B top 15%

Treasures are nice. We'll probably use him on our Tex Playbooks.
Treasure gets his good $M from CEM and large WW and foot angle, along with his other solid scores to overcome his Milk

Son of Butch said:
dbird33 said:
high $M...
MGR Treasure 18156972
ced 7
bw -.8 accuracy .92
ww 71
sc top 25%
doc top 25%
claw set top 30%
foot angle top 5%
cem 16
Milk 12 (bottom 5%)
mw top 45%
mh 50% (breed average)
$EN top 40%
$M top 15%
$B top 15%

One of the many reasons we bred with Treasure last year and again this. Milk, we felt could be brought down in our herd. We kinda felt Treasure could fix what needed to be fixed and amplify what was already great.

We feel that Treasure among this calf crop has been more consistent than any other sire we used last year.

We had a gentleman out two evenings ago who has asked us to consider allowing him to purchase some of our heifers for his replacements off pasture. He wants our Treasures but so do I, so he's out of luck. I'm certain we will retain every single one.

LCBulls said:
Son of Butch said:
dbird33 said:
high $M...
MGR Treasure 18156972
ced 7
bw -.8 accuracy .92
ww 71
sc top 25%
doc top 25%
claw set top 30%
foot angle top 5%
cem 16
Milk 12 (bottom 5%)
mw top 45%
mh 50% (breed average)
$EN top 40%
$M top 15%
$B top 15%

Treasures are nice. We'll probably use him on our Tex Playbooks.
Treasure gets his good $M from CEM and large WW and foot angle, along with his other solid scores to overcome his Milk

I have a Playbook daughter. She's quite possibly my least favorite heifer out there. I swear my husband bets against me sometimes. She's heavy on Payweight. I bred her to Broken Bow. I haven't seen Broken Bow progeny but his numbers will be a good fit for her and his feet also came back real nice on the scoring.

We kept everyone of our Playbooks. One of the most balanced bulls out there.Good $M, Top 2%

With all this dust up about yet another AAA reshuffling & supposedly new and greater EPDs, out of curiosity I pulled up the AAA pedigree & performance EPD's info on two Angus bulls (respectively born in '92 & '97) that were greatly appreciated for leaving a plethora of remarkable, fault free, long lived females in a challenging evironment. Aside from shinning in the DMI and energy department and being breed average for feet, they ranked in the 5-10% bottom of the breed across the board. I would hasten to add their pedigrees were/are considered mainstream. Which is to say, be wary of paper tigers.

76 Bar said:
out of curiosity I pulled up the AAA pedigree & performance EPD's info on two Angus bulls (respectively born in '92 & '97) that were greatly appreciated for leaving a plethora of remarkable, fault free, long lived females in a challenging environment. Aside from shinning in the DMI and energy department and being breed average for feet, they ranked in the 5-10% bottom of the breed across the board. I would hasten to add their pedigrees were/are considered mainstream.
WOW... maybe it shows what 25 years of genetic selection can do.
Since 1993 angus bw is down .7 lb while ww are 31 lbs higher and carcass weights are up 40 lbs
unfortunately mature cow weights are also up 70 lbs.

Son of Butch said:
76 Bar said:
out of curiosity I pulled up the AAA pedigree & performance EPD's info on two Angus bulls (respectively born in '92 & '97) that were greatly appreciated for leaving a plethora of remarkable, fault free, long lived females in a challenging environment. Aside from shinning in the DMI and energy department and being breed average for feet, they ranked in the 5-10% bottom of the breed across the board. I would hasten to add their pedigrees were/are considered mainstream.
WOW... maybe it shows what 25 years of genetic selection can do.
Since 1993 angus bw is down .7 lb while ww are 31 lbs higher and carcass weights are up 40 lbs
unfortunately mature cow weights are also up 70 lbs.
How much is genetics and how much is better pastures and bigger feed buckets.

Son of Butch said:
My bad... you're right 1993 was the dark ages... corn wasn't invented until 2001... :)

Feed for the most part is cheaper today than then. Hellofalot more byproducts today than then. But you know that right?

Not a angus follower but i bet the pedigrees of today still have some of those dark age bulls and cows pretty close.

Not sure Rbb, if it was some of those dark age bulls, their body would be about a foot off the ground, amazing how it changes.

Red Bull Breeder said:
Son of Butch said:
My bad... you're right 1993 was the dark ages... corn wasn't invented until 2001... :)

Feed for the most part is cheaper today than then. Hellofalot more byproducts today than then. But you know that right?

Not a angus follower but i bet the pedigrees of today still have some of those dark age bulls and cows pretty close.
Feed was cheaper in 93 than today? 93 was my first year with a 4H steer I paid $.50 square bale. $100/ton for my cracked corn ration and pasture rent was $6-12 a pair. I now pay $5 square bale, $220/ton for same feed and $15-30 pair a month. If your feed is cheaper than 93 when we got $400 for feeder calves I will buy your cows and feed tonight

Latest posts