Angus: $M

Help Support CattleToday:

CreekAngus

Reaction score
This morning I woke up, as for the new $B scores, I don't have new cattle. The new $M, it appears is just an accumulation of the current EPD's which really tell you nothing about the maternal worth of a cow. My high indexing cattle are high valued in the $M, my lower indexing cows appear to be by the numbers, candidates for the cull pen.

And don't forget to check your foot scores, you may have a bunch of cripples walking around your fields this morning. I noticed my cattle barely changed in $B, basically lost the decimal.

Actually faired well on the $M.

Those who didn't have great feet have their scores actually reflect that. So, I'm rather impressed. That is in my own herd. I can't say, looking at a few sires that are suppose to have great feet but their scores aren't reflecting that...

I had some pretty wide swings on $B both ways but most were within the projected changes ($6).

I'm seeing some highly touted sires not fairing very well on these changes but I'll just sit here and sip tea.

It's definitely going to throw a wrench into a lot of Sires.
I know that the foot score EPD has me second guessing a few Sires we used. A couple of them were touted as great footed as well.
I think the claw and angle EPD is more important than the $M. Especially with how it was weighted to overcompensate for CED and CEM. The rest I basically agree with.

I am not an AAA member. Please, someone give a brief explanation of the reassessment of EPDs that apparently is going on. What is the type of data being used to base the revision of EPDs on? Genomic I assume? Just a guess. And are all the EPDs going through a revision?

If you will go take a look at your cattle today they won't look a bit different than yesterday. Numbers change cattle don't if they work they work if not they are a cull. Seems simple to me.

Red Bull Breeder said:
sim.-ang.king said:
Just another index for the lazy breeders to use, and the big boys to market.

Seems to be Sim. Never seen a number on a peice of paper make a sorry cow better or a good cow bad.

Keep telling yourself that line. If you are just licking your finger and eyeballing an animal, then yeah, I guess it doesn't matter.

As for Sim's remark, weren't you bloviating on how great the crossbreed genetic DNA testing was?

People flip flop on here like a fish out of water.

************* said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
sim.-ang.king said:

Seems to be Sim. Never seen a number on a peice of paper make a sorry cow better or a good cow bad.

Keep telling yourself that line. If you are just licking your finger and eyeballing an animal, then yeah, I guess it doesn't matter.

As for Sim's remark, weren't you bloviating on how great the crossbreed genetic DNA testing was?

I suspect i been telling myself that line a lot longer than you been breeding cattle. I have seen more changes in epd's than i care to remember. Still have not seen numbers on a piece of paper make a good cow better or worse. The animal never changes only the numbers. If she was sorry she is still sorry. If a bull was good yesterday he is still good today. The best bulls of any breed has never graced the pages of a semen catalog, and have never sired a registered calf.

There is quite a similar situation in EU with cows ratings too. The cows are valued by "starts", for maternal and terminal qualities. Needless to say that many 1star for maternal cows raise one heck of the calves and not all 5star cows are very good cows. There are many flaws in that overall system. I believe, most people don't cull cows just based on those stars and rather look at the actual performance.

************* said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
sim.-ang.king said:

Shows how well you pay attention. IGS has to do with cross breed epd evaluation, and data collection which is something AAA does zero of.

sim.-ang.king said:
************* said:
Red Bull Breeder said:

Shows how well you pay attention. IGS has to do with cross breed epd evaluation, and data collection which is something AAA does zero of.

Seriously? It's called American Angus Association because they focus on Angus. You want them to be all things to all people. I've been around people like you in my life, even the best is not good enough. The car goes 0-60 in 3 seconds, "well I would have been impressed if it was 2.8 instead"

Maybe your standards are so exacting that no organization could clear the bar.

Red Bull Breeder said:
All i want from a breed association is to keep the herd book, and do transfers. Every thing else i will do myself.

I wouldn't buy or use a bull that wasn't DNA tested and didn't have decent EPD'S. I'm not worried about the biggest and best, just something solid with predictable results.

Latest posts