Angus: $M

Help Support CattleToday:

Well TG you need to do what you like. That all i do is what i like. I even do some dna testing now and then. I also know the history and have seen cows and calves out of most of the bulls i use. But i have been playing with limousin cattle for 40 years.

Red Bull Breeder said:
Well TG you need to do what you like. That all i do is what i like. I even do some dna testing now and then. I also know the history and have seen cows and calves out of most of the bulls i use. But i have been playing with limousin cattle for 40 years.

Why are they still red after 40 years, don't you know black is where it's at.

They are still red because i can sell more red bulls and heifers for more dollars than i can black ones TG. The dollar factor is where its at. Supply and demand thing you know. Had to turn a bull buyer away yesterday because i am sold out and have been for two months.

Red Bull Breeder said:
They are still red because i can sell more red bulls and heifers for more dollars than i can black ones TG. The dollar factor is where its at. Supply and demand thing you know. Had to turn a bull buyer away yesterday because i am sold out and have been for two months.

Bright Raven sells all he can raise as well. I tell him he's under stocked.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Red Bull Breeder said:

Some folks just enjoy mowing grass, work smarter not harder. Some folks aren't capable of finding an easy solutions to minor problems.

True Grit Farms said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Red Bull Breeder said:

Some folks just enjoy mowing grass, work smarter not harder. Some folks aren't capable of finding an easy solutions to minor problems.

TT is right. I enjoy mowing pasture. Not bad when you got music, air and beautiful scenery. Life is short.

The main thing I'm curious about on $M is where do they have ideal set at. First pass looks like a cow with CED 20, BW -3, WW 80, CEM 20, Milk 50 is going to have a real high $M, but that would be a cow, I would feel is too extreme and probably, from my limited experience, not built for longevity. I'm curious if there is a set point where the higher epd on a particular trait begins deducting from the $M total. An example would be anything over a 30 milk deducts profit or a BW below -2 deducts profit. If not, $M will encourages extremes like the $B.

dbird33 said:
The main thing I'm curious about on $M is where do they have ideal set at. First pass looks like a cow with CED 20, BW -3, WW 80, CEM 20, Milk 50 is going to have a real high $M, but that would be a cow, I would feel is too extreme and probably, from my limited experience, not built for longevity. I'm curious if there is a set point where the higher epd on a particular trait begins deducting from the $M total. An example would be anything over a 30 milk deducts profit or a BW below -2 deducts profit. If not, $M will encourages extremes like the $B.

Great Point! Too bad you weren't on the AAA board of directors.

CreekAngus said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
I spend from 5 to 7 hundred hours a year in a tractor seat.

Quit braggin...... :D

Not bragging Creek i get paid pretty good for it. I do contract work for AGF on a wildlife management area. Lock the gate behind me on 20000 acres and farm with other peoples money.

dbird33 said:

I think it really depends on what you're starting from...
If you have small cows, a -2BW might be the profit point, if you have big cows that have no issues with big calves, you might be far better off with a +10 BW. Same goes for milk.. if you don't have the feed to support it, you'd want more cows with less milk for best profit, while if you have lush grass those same cows might not be profitable, they'll just get fat and the calf won't grow any better.

TEN X foot rumors/discussions seem to have been born out on claw set.
claw set bottom 5% accuracy .83
foot angle top 40%
$M 65%
$B top 4%

stature/mh is .62 heritable
sc is .48 heritable
marbling .48
bw .46
cw .44
foot angle and claw both .25 heritable = environment/management has more influence at 75%
milk continues to be the most meaningless genetic epd at just .12 heritable

LCBulls said:
dbird33 said:

Members were asked to provide input some time back. As all of you know: the AAA is a wonderful organization and does all things so well while looking out for each and every members without bias and in full public view of factors which determine BOD decisions. (This is a statement for a man looking for one "yes man"!) ;-) I and I am sure many others provided input. My recommendation was to set up a Stay EPD like RA. So with the good of all members in mind, no doubt, the BOA gave us $M as it is.

Ebenezer said:
LCBulls said:
dbird33 said:

Members were asked to provide input some time back. As all of you know: the AAA is a wonderful organization and does all things so well while looking out for each and every members without bias and in full public view of factors which determine BOD decisions. (This is a statement for a man looking for one "yes man"!) ;-) I and I am sure many others provided input. My recommendation was to set up a Stay EPD like RA. So with the good of all members in mind, no doubt, the BOA gave us $M as it is.

I am glad that they took the time to develop a $M value. As we have been striving to breed Maternally focused Cows/ Bulls. I'm sure that much thought and input went into this decision. I will certainly use this new value to compare Sires that I like, but I also know that some things about it could use tweaking like Optimal Milk and CED,CEM overly weighted in my opinion.
I love the foot score EPDs.

Latest posts