Angus in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

TT As hard as it is for you to grasp the least wanted breed in this state is Angus

Brute you may be the wisest young man on this board for your environment.
I screwed up a couple of times and strayed from the girls I started the dance with.

Brute 23":20yajqic said:
TennesseeTuxedo":20yajqic said:
Brute 23":20yajqic said:
TT, before you tell every one not to run a Brangus bull have you actually done it? See we have tried straight Angus and Hereford and know first hand it does not work.

I'm ok if your just messing around but if you seriously think there is no difference between black and red you are full of it.

Brahman has its place it the grand scheme of things just not in my area. No such thing as "Certified Bramhan" is there? Reason for that.

I won't argue there is a huge difference in heat tolerance between heat tolerance between Brahman and British breeds just as there is a huge difference in cold tolerance between the two.

If you're claiming red Angus or Hereford handle heat better than the number one breed in the USofA, BA, I respectfully disagree.

You didn't answer the question.

I think in the next 5-10 years you are going to see a huge shift in the opinions of people on Brahman cattle. The associations are spending a lot of money to prove they will grade and adapt the breed if necessary.

I don't care what the breed is... if you line up continental cattle... the black cattle will not tolerate the heat like the reds, and the reds will not take the heat like the whites. That's first hand also.

I'm trying to head completely away from black cattle unless they are terminal. If I decide to put an Angus bull across our Brahman cattle it will be a red angus.

Which question? No, i don't and won't put a floppy eared bull over our cows. The hit at the sale barn would be disastrous and my market for Bulls and replacement heifers would be ruined as well.

I'm glad they work for you though.

TennesseeTuxedo":2znz5ykm said:
Caustic Burno":2znz5ykm said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2znz5ykm said:
Does your wife own half of everything you've got?

No everything.
Come down off your high horse because you married into the cattle business.
That is fine and I am proud for you.
You still have not walked the same path on the journey that many of us have of starting out with nothing and building from the ground up.

Hahaha, high horse over some cows? That's such a small fraction of what I do it barely registers other than time consumption. We have doubled our numbers since 2011 when I got involved so that's kinda cool. My father in law would have said "uncalled for" had he lived to see it. Cattle were strictly for the ag excemption and tax deductions to him. He was in the lumber and hardware business.

We call that marrying up or a kept man here.

Caustic Burno":2o2qjiuk said:
TT As hard as it is for you to grasp the least wanted breed in this state is Angus

I screwed up a couple of times and strayed from the girls I started the dance with.

You know I grew up in Dallas and attended college there as well, I love and miss Texas. That being said, there is a whole bunch of the country outside the state boundary lines and Angus do very well in lots of places.

Caustic Burno":25mw2ioy said:
TennesseeTuxedo":25mw2ioy said:
Caustic Burno":25mw2ioy said:
No everything.
Come down off your high horse because you married into the cattle business.
That is fine and I am proud for you.
You still have not walked the same path on the journey that many of us have of starting out with nothing and building from the ground up.

Hahaha, high horse over some cows? That's such a small fraction of what I do it barely registers other than time consumption. We have doubled our numbers since 2011 when I got involved so that's kinda cool. My father in law would have said "uncalled for" had he lived to see it. Cattle were strictly for the ag excemption and tax deductions to him. He was in the lumber and hardware business.

We call that marrying up or a kept man here.

I definitely married above my pay grade but I made my money in real estate.

TennesseeTuxedo":2hnrvo42 said:
Brute 23":2hnrvo42 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2hnrvo42 said:
Brahman has its place it the grand scheme of things just not in my area. No such thing as "Certified Bramhan" is there? Reason for that.

I won't argue there is a huge difference in heat tolerance between heat tolerance between Brahman and British breeds just as there is a huge difference in cold tolerance between the two.

If you're claiming red Angus or Hereford handle heat better than the number one breed in the USofA, BA, I respectfully disagree.

I think in the next 5-10 years you are going to see a huge shift in the opinions of people on Brahman cattle. The associations are spending a lot of money to prove they will grade and adapt the breed if necessary.

I don't care what the breed is... if you line up continental cattle... the black cattle will not tolerate the heat like the reds, and the reds will not take the heat like the whites. That's first hand also.

I'm trying to head completely away from black cattle unless they are terminal. If I decide to put an Angus bull across our Brahman cattle it will be a red angus.

Which question? No, i don't and won't put a floppy eared bull over our cows. The hit at the sale barn would be disastrous and my market for Bulls and replacement heifers would be ruined as well.

So, again, some thing you have never tried. I have put an Angus bull over Brangus cows, then kept the heifers for cows, and bred them back to an Angus bull again. I could line the calves up at any Angus sale and no one would know.

Here is a 3/16 Brahman heifer... Brangus mom... Angus dad. I bred her to a Hereford Bull and she has a nice black mot at her side right now.

TennesseeTuxedo":33aa6ol0 said:
Brute 23":33aa6ol0 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":33aa6ol0 said:

Hereford doesn't have the heat tolerance of the Brahma. But still better than the ba .
What good Hereford s do bring is the ability to get by on rough country. No other breed will scrap around in brush and cactus except the longhorn and Corrientes. You cross the Hereford and the Brahma and you get a critter that will make lots of red meat on nothing but country. This allows lots of sorry land to be utilized. I have no problem admitting that i prefer a purebred black Angus bull simply to get black calves to take to town
I want some ear on my cows because I expect them to show up for work everyday. Bulls don't have to raise calves. They can lay in the shade.

Brute this is what I don't like about putting some Char in.
This calf the dam is Char/Braford an Angus bull and that dang diluter gene still shows up.
Heifer was born 6/19 love the growth and conformation hate the color.

callmefence":3s6rxccd said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3s6rxccd said:
Brute 23":3s6rxccd said:

Hereford doesn't have the heat tolerance of the Brahma. But still better than the ba .
What good Hereford s do bring is the ability to get by on rough country. No other breed will scrap around in brush and cactus except the longhorn and Corrientes. You cross the Hereford and the Brahma and you get a critter that will make lots of red meat on nothing but country. This allows lots of sorry land to be utilized. I have no problem admitting that i prefer a purebred black Angus bull simply to get black calves to take to town
I want some ear on my cows because I expect them to show up for work everyday. Bulls don't have to raise calves. They can lay in the shade.

I agree 100%

She looks good to me CB. She should bring a pretty penny. If I could get some on to breed me some Char X cows I wouldn't complain. I just don't want to deal with the bulls.

That is what is so hilarious about people who try to justify why a buyer docks one and doesn't rock another. They act like it's a huge science based on all this data of which breed grows and grades better. That buyer has next to zero clue what they are buying. I can paint a longhorn white or black with the right bull. If you think that white LH x Char calf is going to outgrade and grow my F1 you are sadly mistaken.

Pretty hard to generalize about the British breeds. Some operations are breeding for warmer climates and some aren't.

The oil money buys 20-30 bulls at a time in South Louisiana/Texas and the big breeders cater to that.

Take your bull Brute and put him on some Char cows to make F-1 Charbray should sell like hot cakes at the barn and replacements.
Charbray cow is getting popular

Caustic Burno":nki5k14j said:
callmefence":nki5k14j said:
TennesseeTuxedo":nki5k14j said:

I agree 100%

Yup. Look up history of Texas ranching video on YouTube. It talks about the ranches adding Brahman influence to their cattle, especially Hereford.

Caustic Burno":1hd4brew said:
Take your bull Brute and put him on some Char cows to make F-1 Charbray should sell like hot cakes at the barn and replacements.
Charbray cow is getting popular

I would love to. I'm pretty deep in on the Tigers / Brafords. We have quite a few Brangus with different amounts of Brimmer from F1 to 3/16. Now we have the straight Brahman herd. I have some Bonzmar coming later in the year.

At some point in going to have to commit to one I assume... or get more land. :) I'm stubborn and like learning the hard way.

When you boys get ready for your brangus bulls give me a shout, I make a couple trips to Texas a year to see the in-laws. All are sired by Mound Creek bulls.

TT just so you know our culls sell for premium at the local sales.

TennesseeTuxedo":du9vfyme said:
Caustic Burno":du9vfyme said:

You know I grew up in Dallas and attended college there as well, I love and miss Texas. That being said, there is a whole bunch of the country outside the state boundary lines and Angus do very well in lots of places.

TT. Your operation is not in Texas. From Warsaw all the way to the Tennessee and Virginia border, black cattle do fine. The physiography of Kentucky is characterized by numerous tree lined drainages and hollers. Including good diverse pasture. Cows don't graze 100% of the time. The mornings and evenings are cool and long. If they need a noon day snack, they are not going to suffer. Drive our state. Black cattle do excellent here. They are the color our markets covet. This is not Texas or Mississippi. Your horse (cow) is not in the "heat stress" race. I don't know about Tim and the east coast states but I do know Kentucky.

The cheapest heifers you can buy at Dominique in Baton Rouge are Charbray. You're lucky to get $0.75/lb for a Charbray steer. Even an F1 Braford will bring $0.80/lb.

JWBrahman":348b6id0 said:
The cheapest heifers you can buy at Dominique in Baton Rouge are Charbray. You're lucky to get $0.75/lb for a Charbray steer. Even an F1 Braford will bring $0.80/lb.

Not here they like that Char cross calves.

Latest posts