Angus in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":3t5dexod said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3t5dexod said:
Brute 23":3t5dexod said:
Why are you even in this conversation then TT? You do realize this doesn't apply to you then?

I'll post whenever and wherever I so desire.

If that bothers you I guess it's too bad "then".

You do understand we are not suggesting to people who run a purebred operation and sell private treaty that they need Brahman blood in their cattle right?

No shyt Sherlock.

Caustic Burno":1219fxlt said:
Brute 23":1219fxlt said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1219fxlt said:
I'll post whenever and wherever I so desire.

If that bothers you I guess it's too bad "then".

You do understand we are not suggesting to people who run a purebred operation and sell private treaty that they need Brahman blood in their cattle right?

No he is AM

Back to your cage booger eater.

TennesseeTuxedo":184d2qgt said:
Caustic Burno":184d2qgt said:
Guess your wife is letting you post again.

Yes, you are correct. First time for everything. No regale us with tales of your ancestors heroism in battle and how you managed to dogdge service yourself.

TT never was called .

I might be totally wrong but I think not,
the only thing you have excelled at in life is proper lip placement.
I will give you this you must be good with your personality the images of Eddie Haskell pop up.

I go to bull sales throughout the southeast and the Angus bulls out sell every other breed, in numbers and price. Texas is a big state and what works in one part won't work as good in another. I don't keep up with Braman heifers but at every bull sale that has any Brahman bulls they will always be smaller, why is this? And it's also very hard to get a yearling Brahman bull to pass a BSE so it can be sold in a performance bull sale, why is this?

True Grit Farms":2rzaix5g said:
I go to bull sales throughout the southeast and the Angus bulls out sell every other breed, in numbers and price. Texas is a big state and what works in one part won't work as good in another. I don't keep up with Braman heifers but at every bull sale that has any Brahman bulls they will always be smaller, why is this? And it's also very hard to get a yearling Brahman bull to pass a BSE so it can be sold in a performance bull sale, why is this?
If they are trying to sell them before 18 months it is a pure crap shoot. They are slow to mature sexual.

Caustic Burno":2bb3yfem said:
True Grit Farms":2bb3yfem said:
If they are trying to sell them before 18 months it is a pure crap shoot. They are slow to mature sexual.

Smaller why?

True Grit Farms":3nzexu59 said:
Caustic Burno":3nzexu59 said:
True Grit Farms":3nzexu59 said:

Smaller why?

Again the full bloods are slow to mature until about 24 months but you are also getting cattle that operate efficiently into their 20's .
In conditions most others would wither they thrive.

Caustic Burno":3oqeq3fk said:
True Grit Farms":3oqeq3fk said:
Caustic Burno":3oqeq3fk said:

Smaller why?

Again the full bloods are slow to mature until about 24 months but you are also getting cattle that operate efficiently into their 20's .

That doesn't hold true when you crossbreed them. And most of the big operations I've been to sell cows at 7 to 9 years old when there's still value left on them. Most of folks sell weaned calves and want the extra pounds on the calf when they sell. So what your essentially saying about Brahman cattle, is pure breds are not the way to go for the cow - calf producer? You've already stated multiple times that Brahman bulls are not the way to go on Continental - Angus cattle?

True Grit Farms":1s71apb4 said:
Caustic Burno":1s71apb4 said:
True Grit Farms":1s71apb4 said:
Smaller why?

That doesn't hold true when you crossbreed them. And most of the big operations I've been to sell cows at 7 to 9 years old when there's still value left on them. Most of folks sell weaned calves and want the extra pounds on the calf when they sell. So what your essentially saying about Brahman cattle, is pure breds are not the way to go for the cow - calf producer? You've already stated multiple times that Brahman bulls are not the way to go on Continental - Angus cattle?

Your misquoting I said Brahman over English cattle is not the way to go as the hybred vigor is enormous. The hybred vigor is highest with Hereford of the English cattle.
This mating tends to produce behemoth bull calves.
English over Brahman suppress calf weights while maintaining hybred vigor the goal. The goal is not purebred cattle but pounds and of gradable beef.

True Grit Farms":14k34yhw said:
Caustic Burno":14k34yhw said:
True Grit Farms":14k34yhw said:
Smaller why?

Yes, I would say that. If you are an average Joe cow/calf producer go to the auction with your calves I would not run purebred Brahman. To get the full value of the Brahman cattle you need to sell them private treaty or you need to be of a certain size where you are trying to produce your own momma cows. That's my opinion.

Imo pure bred any thing has its breed quirks no matter if its cattle or dogs or what ever else. I realky appreciate pure bred animals and the people who raise them... but for actual use I have always likes crossbred. I think you tend get the best of both breeds and lose the worse.

Even on my hunting dogs. I like pits.. I like American bull dogs... but pure pits tend to be a little too gung ho for me. American bulldogs and can a little too laid back. Crossing the two gives the right amount drive but levels them out a little.

It's the same with Angus and Herford. They are a little to far one way. Pure Brahmans are a little too far the other way. My preferred animal is in between. A little of both worlds.

It does not take a lot of Brahman to see the benefits.

Brute 23":1su0y4ql said:
True Grit Farms":1su0y4ql said:
Caustic Burno":1su0y4ql said:

Yes, I would say that. If you are an average Joe cow/calf producer go to the auction with your calves I would not run purebred Brahman. To get the full value of the Brahman cattle you need to sell them private treaty or you need to be of a certain size where you are trying to produce your own momma cows. That's my opinion.

Imo pure bred any thing has its breed quirks no matter if its cattle or dogs or what ever else. I realky appreciate pure bred animals and the people who raise them... but for actual use I have always likes crossbred. I think you tend get the best of both breeds and lose the worse.

Even on my hunting dogs. I like pits.. I like American bull dogs... but pure pits tend to be a little too gung ho for me. American bulldogs and can a little too laid back. Crossing the two gives the right amount drive but levels them out a little.

It's the same with Angus and Herford. They are a little to far one way. Pure Brahmans are a little too far the other way. My preferred animal is in between. A little of both worlds.

It does not take a lot of Brahman to see the benefits.

Exactly.. you won't find me with a Brahma bull.
For the most part it will be reg. Black Angus.
I do want brahma in my mama cows. The reason was posted way back.

A wiser man probably wouldn't join this discussion, but here goes:

My weaning weights are going to be lighter this year. Won't know till fall how much lighter. I'm afraid 50-75. Might even be more. Won't say the breed, but I was running 3 bulls that looked good. They're just not throwing growthy calves. My eared cows look to be raising what I'm used to seeing. I believe they are going to hit the mark with their calves. I attribute that to the increase in heterosis, and the fact, that they give more milk. Unfortunately, everything born between now, and early December is going to be out of those bulls. It'll be mid to late February before I have some calves out of my current bulls. I hope they're better. I'll work cheap, but I hate to work for free.

Bigfoot":4kpkjeoz said:
A wiser man probably wouldn't join this discussion, but here goes:

My weaning weights are going to be lighter this year. Won't know till fall how much lighter. I'm afraid 50-75. Might even be more. Won't say the breed, but I was running 3 bulls that looked good. They're just not throwing growthy calves. My eared cows look to be raising what I'm used to seeing. I believe they are going to hit the mark with their calves. I attribute that to the increase in heterosis, and the fact, that they give more milk. Unfortunately, everything born between now, and early December is going to be out of those bulls. It'll be mid to late February before I have some calves out of my current bulls. I hope they're better. I'll work cheap, but I hate to work for free.

This is about Angus in Texas, not Kentucky.

So if you can stretch the line...

The guy I sold my Chrome Pure Bred Simmental bull to, Optimum Chrome, (I described it in a post about 2 months ago) bought two of my 14 month old bred heifers about 2 evenings ago. They will come pick them up in August. Optimum Chrome is now 10 months old and weighs 1100 pounds. Max said he turned him out with a group of 14 month old Angus heifers and he dwarfs them. He said he is so gentle, the granddaughters can halter him in the pasture. Max says he does not see this kind of growth or docility in most of his Angus.

I am only reporting what he said. It is at best anecdotal information. The Angus breed is certainly popular and the AAA has promoted the breed well.

I like Angus bulls. When I put them across our brangus and braford X cows they throw some hell of a calves. I've had calves born that probably didn't weigh #65 and weaned out as scale stompers. As a whole the bulls have been easy to handle and it carried to the calves.

I sold an Angus bull to a friend a year or two back and still kick myself for it. He was super easy going and threw awesome calves. Most of the 3/16 cows I have are his so I had to bring some new blood in.

Brute 23":3as5unk4 said:
I like Angus bulls. When I put them across our brangus and braford X cows they throw some be nice of a calves. I've had calves born that probably didn't weigh #65 and weaned out as scale stompers. As a whole the bulls have been easy to handle and it carried to the calves.

I sold an Angus bull to a friend a year or two back and still kick myself for it. He was super easy going and threw awesome calves. Most of the 3/16 cows I have are his so I had to bring some new blood in.

I have owned most of the popular breeds at one time.
The current Angus is most likely the first last and only Angus.
Calves are fine he just suffers too much in the summer . I am on the lookout for a Brangus or BM about a year old that tickles my fancy.
Hadn't thought about a Brangus minus ( Ultrablack) till fence mentioned it.