Angus color percentage

Help Support CattleToday:

Bignick50

Reaction score
I have a question. Yes, I am a newby. I was told that to be considered "Angus beef" that the animal could have a relative amount of white color when going to slaughter. What is the percentage that is allowed to be called Angus?? Thanks in advance.

Thanks, I was told that by a breeder that sends to independent butcher, but thought it HAD to be more than 51%. I figured he was blowing smoke, evidently not.

CAB has a complete set of regulation. Using the word Angus on a label is A whole different thing. :shock:

mwj said:
CAB has a complete set of regulation. Using the word Angus on a label is A whole different thing. :shock:

This is correct, its a little confusing. The 51% rule is to qualify for the Certified Angus Beef program (CAB). Just being labeled "angus" is not the same thing. I'm not sure what, if any, guidelines there are for just being labeled angus.

What are the requirements for the Certified Angus Beef® (CAB) brand?
Live cattle must be Angus-influenced: have a predominately (51%) solid black hide, or AngusSource® enrolled to be eligible for CAB evaluation. They must meet all of the 10 following criteria to be certified by USDA graders and labeled with the Certified Angus Beef® brand:

Modest or higher degree of marbling
Medium or fine marbling texture
"A" maturity (both lean & skeletal)
10- to 16-square-inch ribeye area
1,050 pounds or less hot carcass weight
Less than 1-inch fat thickness
Superior muscling (restricts dairy influence)
Practically free of capillary rupture
No dark cutting characteristics
No neck hump exceeding 2 inches

As it stands it is a big help to the beef industry. The grading standards are assuring a good eating experience for the consumer. The color or the breed is only a problem for cattle breeders. :cowboy:

TexasBred said:
greggy said:
Sounds like anything black could make the grade....a baldy must be considered too?

No white from the navel forward.

I have a jersey with some angus...has a diamond of white on one hind leg....so qualifies ?

I am not 100 % sure...but in sales here...if it does not look 100%angus....no one will buy as angus....

But I guess we are talking about a brandings qualification...not a breed.....not sure if we have one, but likely we do as some companies advertise 100% aussie angus in our x y or z

You can call anything you want Angus, but that won't make it Angus. People often call anything black, or mostly black, Angus. The rule about no white from the navel forward pertains to registered cattle. Registered cattle will have a pedigree that traces back to all registered Angus cattle. There is no ability to "breed up" to Angus, like there is in many breeds, such as Simmental. The original rules for Angus cattle in America excluded the red cattle. The Red Angus Association was later formed to register these cattle. In other countries, such as Canada, The Angus registry includes both colors. Red calves are still born to Black Angus cattle, since the recessive trait can stay hidden for many generations, only showing up 25% of the time when two red carriers are mated. Those calves can't be registered as "Angus" but are welcome in the Red Angus Registry.

Now Certified Angus Beef is something entirely different. It was originally conceived with the idea to get people using Black Angus bulls, and that is why the requirement for 51% solid black hide was included. Black is dominant to most colors and when CAB was first created most other breeds were some other color. To qualify for CAB you needed to add Angus. But CAB is also about quality and it doesn't matter how much of the hide is Black or even if the animal is a registered Black Angus. If the beef does not meet the quality requirements, it's not labeled as CAB. At least 51% black hided was chosen as the breaking point for qualification and a black white face can qualify, as long as it meets all other credentials for quality.

CAB has been so successful, that many other breeds, such as Simmental, have introduced Angus genetics into their herds. So like Jeanne pointed out, it is entirely possible to qualify for the CAB label with an animal that is Simmental or from another breed. The criteria do specifically exclude animals that appear to be of dairy influence or Bos Indicus.

Katpau - thank you for taking the time to type that. I was not willing (bad me) You did a great job explaining it.
Think of CAB as a PROGRAM, not a breed. (and yes, full white bellies qualify - if they are beef breed standards - not dairy)
Simmental became black the very first year they were introduced into USA, because we only had semen and if you bred a PB or commercial Angus or BWF - you most likely got a black Simmental 1/2 blood. We had 50% black Simmentals in 1972.

Fullblood Simmentals have to go back 5 generations of fullblood pedigree, so no, there are no black Fullbloods. I personally do not like the looks of a fullblood. Here in USA, we "molded" the breed to fit specific climates/areas. It is a very diverse breed. Personally, I don't care if they are red, black, red & white, black & white or purple polka dotted - just so they are GOOD. I do love them with chrome, but that is what I always used to have, so I'm liking the chrome coming back.

I know for a fact that a non-black animal can be qualified for CAB is when the slaughterhouses didn't kill enough black cattle so they'll take any colors in. And I guess dairy & brahman influenced cattle are allowed to be qualified for CAB? I meant majority of Holstein steers are qualified for CAB..

MNBelties said:
I know for a fact that a non-black animal can be qualified for CAB is when the slaughterhouses didn't kill enough black cattle so they'll take any colors in. And I guess dairy & brahman influenced cattle are allowed to be qualified for CAB? I meant majority of Holstein steers are qualified for CAB..
[/quot

Please show us your ''facts'' and not your opinions. :bs:

Latest posts