Angle Frame Disc or Box Frame

Help Support CattleToday:

barceranch

Reaction score
I would like to know the usage difference of a Angle Frame Disc Harrow versus the Box Frame. Is there a reason to use one versus the other one. I am wanting to purchase a Disc and would like someones insight of their differences if they've used both. I have some blackberry vines I am spraying in my pastures and I want to eliminate them as best as possible without killing all my grass and tilling everything up to start over.

Don't think I've ever heard of the names you gave the two types of disk but I assume you're talking about an offset (angle frame) and a tandem (box frame) disk??

If this is correct (or maybe I've got the names wrong) I would prefer using the offset for really turning the dirt over and using the tandem disk for normal, lighter duty tillage. I have both and that's the way I use them, right or wrong. I think there might even be a different HP requirement given the same width disk - higher HP for the offset and less HP for the tandem. Again, just my perception.

I have a 10' Athens offset with 24" blades that loads my old 1486 pretty good but I can pull the 14' tandem in 6th gear where 7 and 8 are road gears. But maybe thats because the Athens is really heavy and digs the blades in up to the axles in just about any soil condition.

Earl Thigpen":2koabyyf said:
Don't think I've ever heard of the names you gave the two types of disk but I assume you're talking about an offset (angle frame) and a tandem (box frame) disk??

If this is correct (or maybe I've got the names wrong) I would prefer using the offset for really turning the dirt over and using the tandem disk for normal, lighter duty tillage. I have both and that's the way I use them, right or wrong. I think there might even be a different HP requirement given the same width disk - higher HP for the offset and less HP for the tandem. Again, just my perception.

I have a 10' Athens offset with 24" blades that loads my old 1486 pretty good but I can pull the 14' tandem in 6th gear where 7 and 8 are road gears. But maybe thats because the Athens is really heavy and digs the blades in up to the axles in just about any soil condition.
Thanks for the reply back. I got those names from King Kutter Inc literature that I picked up at Tractor Supply the other day.

Like Earl, I've only heard of offset or tandem disk types so I wonder if it's a reference to what the frame is made of. Possibly angle iron for those light implements TSC sells as opposed to square tube (box) frame?

Ask one of those savvy experts working at TSC. See if they scratch another hole in their head or merely shrug.

milesvb":62p358ds said:
Like Earl, I've only heard of offset or tandem disk types so I wonder if it's a reference to what the frame is made of. Possibly angle iron for those light implements TSC sells as opposed to square tube (box) frame?

Ask one of those savvy experts working at TSC. See if they scratch another hole in their head or merely shrug.

My father has always said that TSC would be a good place for a farm store.

barceranch":1onaj0zk said:
I would like to know the usage difference of a Angle Frame Disc Harrow versus the Box Frame. Is there a reason to use one versus the other one. I am wanting to purchase a Disc and would like someones insight of their differences if they've used both. I have some blackberry vines I am spraying in my pastures and I want to eliminate them as best as possible without killing all my grass and tilling everything up to start over.

The angle frame disk is a light weight, for example the weight of the 5 foot is 440#.
The box frame is heavier and the five foot weighs 720 #. Go with the box frame it is heaver and stronger. The angle frame will be apart in a vert short time with heavy use.

hurleyjd":an2lj2f5 said:
barceranch":an2lj2f5 said:

The angle frame disk is a light weight, for example the weight of the 5 foot is 440#.
The box frame is heavier and the five foot weighs 720 #. Go with the box frame it is heaver and stronger. The angle frame will be apart in a vert short time with heavy use.

I have an old John Deere tandem disc that is built from "angle iron". The mainframe is 6" X 6" angle X 3/4" thickness. I dare you to find a heavier made disc unless it's the old "BusHog" models that are 6" X 6" solid bar steel.

MikeC":3bxhmqcf said:
hurleyjd":3bxhmqcf said:
barceranch":3bxhmqcf said:

I have an old John Deere tandem disc that is built from "angle iron". The mainframe is 6" X 6" angle X 3/4" thickness. I dare you to find a heavier made disc unless it's the old "BusHog" models that are 6" X 6" solid bar steel.

Mike, I was not comparing your John Deere Disk to any others. The disk I am referring to are the King Cutter Disk. Look up thier website and look your self. It will show the two King Cutter Disks.

hurleyjd":ivxi2v01 said:
MikeC":ivxi2v01 said:
hurleyjd":ivxi2v01 said:
barceranch":ivxi2v01 said:

Mike, I was not comparing your John Deere Disk to any others. The disk I am referring to are the King Cutter Disk. Look up thier website and look your self. It will show the two King Cutter Disks.

OOPS!

hurleyjd":1a9ibnle said:
barceranch":1a9ibnle said:

I'll bet you're right. Didn't stop to think they might be describing the construction material. And you're also right to choose the box tubing construction over angle iron.

Latest posts