Ancient Tobacco Barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Just a tip that may be worth trying but here it was pretty common for people to pick up arrowheads while working in tobacco and many times they would set the arrowheads on top of the beams. I've found a bunch of arrowheads and some other relics on top of the timbers so it might pay you to look close before you do anything with the barn.

Yeah, have a friend that goes around and buys the old barns to reconstruct for people. Makes his living at it. Did some consultation work at a couple of the places that reconstruct those old villages, along the idea of the Plimouth plantation and old Shaker villages. He might be interested in coming to look at it, has gone all the way to Ohio to look at some to take down. If interested send me a PM and I will give him your name and contact info.

The posts to our porch are hand hewn as well, we still have a couple of the old axes as well.. There's definitely value there, I would see if I could put some bracing in it for the time being to prevent it from leaning more.. maybe a little shove with the bucket of the tractor from the other side.

I was next door neighbor in another state with this guy you need to contact. I've known him prob over 40 yrs now. His yard is in Sulphur Wells, Ky fairly close to the Lighthouse Restaurant on Hwy 70. I can put you in touch with him if you like just PM me. Or you can ask in Sulphur Well for James, the log cabin guy.

riquezada":tiqdhdya said:
I was next door neighbor in another state with this guy you need to contact. I've known him prob over 40 yrs now. His yard is in Sulphur Wells, Ky fairly close to the Lighthouse Restaurant on Hwy 70. I can put you in touch with him if you like just PM me. Or you can ask in Sulphur Well for James, the log cabin guy.

Sent you a PM. Thanks.

Bright Raven":2p65i219 said:
littletom":2p65i219 said:
Those are worth a good bit of money in my neck of the woods. Several places buy the old wood. It goes to Nashville or N.C. to get made into high end flooring. The hewn logs also have dollar value. It has become a big problem in my area with old barn siding being stolen. Several barns have had whole sides taken off the back side you can't see from road by the meth heads. I see people going down the road all the time headed toward the local buyer. They have it sticking out of trunks or top of vans it crazy. This has taken the place since scrap iron went down. You could sell that standing here pretty quick. Where are you located?

50 miles northeast of Lexington. Near Blue Licks State Park.

well sh!t.. we used to be about neighbors..

Update. Pulled it down. Removed the tin. Then had a bonfire. My back was hurting from a week of pulling roofing nails and stacking tin. You could not have paid me $10 K to dig the wood out. The only people I thought I could get to do it or help - hate to say it, was people I didn't trust.
igm0ao.jpg

30 40 years ago, a older neighbor, who in his youth helped build these old tobacco barns told me " very few of the barns he worked on fell down, but they just keep getting lower & lower " LOL

Bright Raven":2hyt1gq1 said:
Update. Pulled it down. Removed the tin. Then had a bonfire. My back was hurting from a week of pulling roofing nails and stacking tin. You could not have paid me $10 K to dig the wood out. The only people I thought I could get to do it or help - hate to say it, was people I didn't trust.
igm0ao.jpg

I am deeply saddened by this event.

TennesseeTuxedo":2wmdk6ow said:
Bright Raven":2wmdk6ow said:
igm0ao.jpg

I am deeply saddened by this event.

You liberals are all the same. Next thing you will be telling us is that the Black Rhino or some other endangered species should be preserved.

That is tornado wire. You fence guys don't jump me. I didn't stretch it too tight. The brace on the near end is not built for wire going in that direction. I used the existing end posts to fence between. That is a good temporary fix.
5ppf7s.jpg

Bright Raven":3g26yykh said:
That is tornado wire. You fence guys don't jump me. I didn't stretch it too tight. The brace on the near end is not built for wire going in that direction. I used the existing end posts to fence between. That is a good temporary fix.
5ppf7s.jpg

Looks better than some of my permanent

Bright Raven said:
igm0ao.jpg
[/quote

I am deeply saddened also Ron.

Ken

wbvs58":2uwdyf26 said:
Bright Raven":2uwdyf26 said:
igm0ao.jpg
[/quote

I am deeply saddened also Ron.

Ken

There was some nice wood but when it came down, it was a tangled mess. I got the tin pulled off without injury. The jumbled boards underneath were full of danger. Nails, sharp edges. But the big factor was the physical labor required to get it untangled, pulled out and cleaned up. I have passed the age where I can single handedly do that. Pulling nails for a week with a crow bar had my lower back muscles screaming.

I offered the structure to a couple parties. They talk a big interest but when the day came, they are not there. One guy came by and said he wanted it. I told him to help himself. He came by about 3 times, I finally said it was time to have a bonfire.

The lady across the road was upset. She apparently enjoyed the old barn. When I told her I was going to burn it, she put an announcement on Facebook. No one showed up.

A bonfire was probably your best option. Many times the people that would want to tear it down would be the first ones to file a lawsuit if they just happened to get hurt on your property.

Bright Raven":29m5ojlc said:
I offered the structure to a couple parties. They talk a big interest but when the day came, they are not there. One guy came by and said he wanted it. I told him to help himself. He came by about 3 times, I finally said it was time to have a bonfire.

The lady across the road was upset. She apparently enjoyed the old barn. When I told her I was going to burn it, she put an announcement on Facebook. No one showed up.

I just tossed some bones on the ground and read them and what the bones tell me is in the next few days to weeks you will be inundated with people telling you they would have taken it and some even would have paid you for the lumber and even a few would have known someone who would have paid you $50,000 for the barn and moved it off the property without leaving a trace that they had ever been there. Don't know if this is right or not but that's what the bones say and they rarely lie.

Latest posts