Ancient Tobacco Barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Ron, one thing you need to be sure to do is now that it is burnt down be sure to walk the perimeter of the barn site after a rain and look for indian artifacts. I've been real lucky hunting around old burnt down barns like this because often the field workers would set the points inside the barns and forget about them.

Jogeephus":dv8d0pgy said:
Ron, one thing you need to be sure to do is now that it is burnt down be sure to walk the perimeter of the barn site after a rain and look for indian artifacts. I've been real lucky hunting around old burnt down barns like this because often the field workers would set the points inside the barns and forget about them.

That is a great idea. Thanks

Bright Raven":2gwf3rrx said:
Jogeephus":2gwf3rrx said:

That is a great idea. Thanks

I'll turn you in.

So you spent a week pulling nails out of the roof metal, just to throw a match on it? :???: Fire woulda burnt them nails loose Vern. :lol: Be careful pulling on Bekaert net wire with Tornado barbed wire like that. Might just pull the net in two if you aren't careful.

Farm Fence Solutions":2xpp3pp1 said:
So you spent a week pulling nails out of the roof metal, just to throw a match on it? :???: Fire woulda burnt them nails loose Vern. :lol: Be careful pulling on Bekaert net wire with Tornado barbed wire like that. Might just pull the net in two if you aren't careful.

Luke. I started out thinking I would pull some of the beams out. By the time I got the roof off, I was ready to just throw a match on it.

I didn't pull too tight. I actually did not move the end posts. I pulled the slack out with the golden rod.

I'm sure everyone of those folks that offered were serious about getting it. All you needed to do was tear it down. Pull the nails. Deliver it to their place and stack it neatly for them in the exact place they wanted it. For free of course.

Craig Miller":1tapjnun said:
I'm sure everyone of those folks that offered were serious about getting it. All you needed to do was tear it down. Pull the nails. Deliver it to their place and stack it neatly for them in the exact place they wanted it. For free of course.

Exactly. Plus, someone gets hurt, you have a lawsuit on your hands.

Burning was your best option. The "scrap" people here are also the same ones that would come back in a week and steal you blind after having a few days to scope your place out.

I went through this with a farm I bought burned a house and barn. We tore one down couple years ago at my dads kept a lot of boxing burned the rest. They do sell and steal a lot of that wood around here though. See people going by with it strapped on cars and sticking out of cars daily.

Bright Raven":2sj4icjx said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2sj4icjx said:

Luke. I started out thinking I would pull some of the beams out. By the time I got the roof off, I was ready to just throw a match on it.

I didn't pull too tight. I actually did not move the end posts. I pulled the slack out with the golden rod.

Fence looks good. I wish I would have had the time to come down and savage a few of the beams out of that barn. They'd have made a nice counter in the fence store.

Farm Fence Solutions":3oombz7y said:
Bright Raven":3oombz7y said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3oombz7y said:

Fence looks good. I wish I would have had the time to come down and savage a few of the beams out of that barn. They'd have made a nice counter in the fence store.

I have regrets. That boxing and those beams were as hard and strong as steel girders. If I had the right equipment to pick some of that out, I would have.

Bright Raven":225p9xt7 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":225p9xt7 said:
Bright Raven":225p9xt7 said:

I have regrets. That boxing and those beams were as hard and strong as steel girders. If I had the right equipment to pick some of that out, I would have.
To late now ding a ling.

Bright Raven":1elxfidf said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1elxfidf said:
Bright Raven":1elxfidf said:

Tractor, log chains, and chainsaw. All three were in your inventory when I visited. :wave: You could have at least got a keg and invited us all over for the fire. :bs:

Farm Fence Solutions":34scpexm said:
Bright Raven":34scpexm said:
Farm Fence Solutions":34scpexm said:

Tractor, log chains, and chainsaw. All three were in your inventory when I visited. :wave: You could have at least got a keg and invited us all over for the fire. :bs:

Ok. Now I feel guilty.

Jogeephus":2obj6mze said:
Just a tip that may be worth trying but here it was pretty common for people to pick up arrowheads while working in tobacco and many times they would set the arrowheads on top of the beams. I've found a bunch of arrowheads and some other relics on top of the timbers so it might pay you to look close before you do anything with the barn.

I have found plenty of old mason jars in the same places.

hillbilly beef man":10q3f195 said:
Jogeephus":10q3f195 said:
Just a tip that may be worth trying but here it was pretty common for people to pick up arrowheads while working in tobacco and many times they would set the arrowheads on top of the beams. I've found a bunch of arrowheads and some other relics on top of the timbers so it might pay you to look close before you do anything with the barn.

I have found plenty of old mason jars in the same places.

Interesting. I picked up all kinds of stuff - harrow teeth, plow shares, hinges, crank handle for a Model T, pistons, sickle blades, tobacco knives, tobacco spear, gears, etc. But nothing was as abundant as old bottles and jars. Some of the old Pepsi bottles I have not seen for 55 years. Most of the bottles were broken and all of the jars were broken.

Bright Raven":1jix0yr7 said:
Oddly, it is tiered off with 4x4 rails, older barns like this usually have tier poles. Bigfoot knows what I mean.

al1y6g.jpg

ka01ut.jpg

1z1btkp.jpg

qqu0x4.jpg

2eoh64x.jpg

Some one wealthy must have built that barn if it had 4x4s for tiers. We always used true 2x4 hemlock on new barns on all but the longest spans. Many older barns around here used popular poles. I always hated hanging on poles that were not nailed, you had to be real careful how you put your feet. Once doing the split and splat made you real careful.

hillbilly beef man":28znsoyy said:
Bright Raven":28znsoyy said:
Oddly, it is tiered off with 4x4 rails, older barns like this usually have tier poles. Bigfoot knows what I mean.

al1y6g.jpg

ka01ut.jpg

1z1btkp.jpg

qqu0x4.jpg

2eoh64x.jpg

Some one wealthy must have built that barn if it had 4x4s for tiers. We always used true 2x4 hemlock on new barns on all but the longest spans. Many older barns around here used popular poles. I always hated hanging on poles that were not nailed, you had to be real careful how you put your feet. Once doing the split and splat made you real careful.

Yes. 4×4s. I took some of those out a couple years ago.
Most of the barns I hung in had round tier poles. Yes. They roll. I fell out of the barn twice. Once bad. Came down back first over the draw bar of the tractor. We were handing in the driveway. I was always put up in the top tiers. Up where the wasps build there nest. You probably know about that. Lol

Bright Raven":2read7ql said:
hillbilly beef man":2read7ql said:
Bright Raven":2read7ql said:

al1y6g.jpg

ka01ut.jpg

1z1btkp.jpg

qqu0x4.jpg

2eoh64x.jpg

Yes. 4×4s. I took some of those out a couple years ago.
Most of the barns I hung in had round tier poles. Yes. They roll. I fell out of the barn twice. Once bad. Came down back first over the draw bar of the tractor. We were handing in the driveway. I was always put up in the top tiers. Up where the wasps build there nest. You probably know about that. Lol

I fell out once when a pole rolled on me. I landed on an old horse drawn dump rake. It liked to have killed me. Hanging the top tier was always the easiest to me. You had to deal with the wasps, but you only had to hang your tier and not hand up too.