Seeding Barn Lot (fescue)

Help Support CattleToday:

chaded

Reaction score
I did't want to hijack the ryegrass thread but it reminded me of the problem I am having. I have a 1-1.5 acre barn lot/ trap that I redid completely not too long ago. It basically was always wet because everything drained into it and it just was always saturated. I put in culvert all the way through it and regraded it so almost the entire thing is bare soil.

I seeded fescue down and then pitch forked hay over the entire thing around the last week of September. The problem is, we have been dry and it's not looking good next week either. The only places coming up good is the shaded areas where the sun hasn't turned the ground into crust.

I'm kicking around some ideas and not sure what I'm going to do. My main issue is I have a new herd coming soon and this area is the central area for everything. I'm wondering do I try to spread more seed when its wetter and try and keep them out for awhile or say forget it and spread more seed and unroll some hay and let them do their thing and then get them out. I have 150 pounds of cereal rye sitting here I thought about spreading also because I have no use for it.…..this was supposed to all be done much earlier (like spring early summer) but our logging project pushed everything back until this fall.

I dont even care if weeds come up at this point, just need something other then bare dirt!

The fescue seed will lay there until it gets moisture but for long term use if at all possible keep them off of it until it's well established. I see many places that they turn cows in on as soon as a little green shows up and the plant never has a chance.

If you can keep them off for at least a few weeks, I would get that cereal rye in right before the next good rain along with some red clover. And don't winter anything there for long if you can help it

Latest posts