Turning tobacco land to grass

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
I've got someone wanting me to convert some tobacco land into a hay field for them. Was wondering what yall think the best plan would be. Its been chisel plowed somewhat smooth and the stumps from the stalks are still there of course. Several large rocks showing. I was thinking this spring go in and disc it twice then go pick up the biggest of the rocks, then cultipack it and drill in fescue with a mix of annual rye. Tgats not mentioning anything about fertilizer not sure what to do about that need to soil test I guess

I've got someone wanting me to convert some tobacco land into a hay field for them. Was wondering what yall think the best plan would be. Its been chisel plowed somewhat smooth and the stumps from the stalks are still there of course. Several large rocks showing. I was thinking this spring go in and disc it twice then go pick up the biggest of the rocks, then cultipack it and drill in fescue with a mix of annual rye. Tgats not mentioning anything about fertilizer not sure what to do about that need to soil test I guess
We've had difficulty getting long time tobacco patches to yield decent hay crops. Not sure what the best approach might be. I'll be watching this thread for suggestions.

The weed spray used on tobacco patches it takes at least fives years for the spray to finally leave the ground. I have watched several tobacco patch put in grass recently and the grass will start out green and then turn yellow and almost die every year. One patch the guy has replanted twice already with grass seed.. The corn spray is just about as bad.

A neighbor use to put out 60 acres tobacco every year and I have watched the ground and about the 5-6 year the grass starts to get normal looking and not turn yellow every year.

You might plant spring oats and get some hay this year as the spray does not seem to affect it as bad..

Last edited:
The weed spray used on tobacco patches it takes at least fives years for the spray to finally leave the ground. I have watched several tobacco patch put in grass recently and the grass will start out green and then turn yellow and almost die every year. One patch the guy has replanted twice already with grass seed.. The corn spray is just about as bad.

A neighbor use to put out 60 acres tobacco every year and I have watched the ground and about the 5-6 year the grass starts to get normal looking and not turn yellow every year.

You might plant spring oats and get some hay this year as the spray does not seem to affect it as bad..
That is exactly what I've noticed JL. Thanks for explaining it.

For you guys in tobacco country, what herbicide do they use? It sounds like a herbicide the sweet potato growers used around here called Command.

It depends on the tobacco farmer. I have put grass in September right behind tobacco with great success. I have seen the years long ordeals posted about. I use spartan and command on my tobacco. Spartan doesnt affect the new grass. Command if farmer overlaped or put over rate that grass will come up then turn yellow about 2 weeks after it comes up. But usually only that first fall right behind tobacco. Might have very few little strips behind me. Following spring you will be fine. Some growth retardents are hard on the ground. Mostly used at high rates on dark tobacco.

Now the bad one is Prowl. It lays in the ground for years longer than most anyone would admit. In my opinion it is outdated and would never be in my program. However some people here do use it to control crabgrass in pure orchard grass fields. It will take time and more redrilling.
If you are already working it i would just seed it at a higher rate than drilling it. Just work it seed it roll it down. then drill in the fall if you need too. Fert. I would soil test. Most tobacco is over fertilized and has alot of carry over. But we run very high rates of N which is really hard on ph you very well may need lime.

Latest posts