Not so free hay barn

Help Support CattleToday:

gizmom":3h3pwjqm said:
They are 4x5 I think!

Gizmom
Being stacked as thy are the are as tall as the are wide as Texasmark said. Girt placemen of the second girt would typically be 7 ft. At least on all the metal buildings I worked on. Building is raised off the ground so bottom girt would be original floor height. First girt is 1 bale high. Using 5 ft for that bale puts the 3rd girt at 12 ft or roughly rage middle of the top bale. So bales are 5x5.

I

Jscunn uses the same fella to do his hay maybe he can jump in on the bale size. We got two more fields done this week so everything has been cut once. We have three fields that are ready to be cut again as soon as we get another window of opportunity.

Gizmom

4x5s based on we lay them on the side and can get 5 bales on a 28 ft trailer with some room to spare. 3 feet of space on the back if the stacker man isn't slacking. I know they aren't 5 ft tall when set flat end down. Our hay guy does a good job rolling them tight so they almost never sag. We got 135 bales rolled yesterday, with our rye grass hay would should be good for this winter.
GM,
I hope you get a window before he starts baling peanuts. I would appreciate a shower this week thou, no water in the mudholes for the first time all summer..

jscunn":p34vyh3b said:
4x5s based on we lay them on the side and can get 5 bales on a 28 ft trailer with some room to spare. 3 feet of space on the back if the stacker man isn't slacking. I know they aren't 5 ft tall when set flat end down. Our hay guy does a good job rolling them tight so they almost never sag. We got 135 bales rolled yesterday, with our rye grass hay would should be good for this winter.
GM,
I hope you get a window before he starts baling peanuts. I would appreciate a shower this week thou, no water in the mudholes for the first time all summer..
I stand corrected....

Ebeezer

If we get moisture and temps stay in the right range we will have good winter pasture and hay to sell. We always like to make sure we have 4 bales per pair on hand in case moisture and tempature don't cooperate. How many bales per pair do you plan for?

Gizmom

the most expensive hay barn is no hay barn, or better yet you could do like my neighbor and roll 3x5 whale turd bales and stack them 5 high outside for years on end

gizmom":1ip3l893 said:
Ebeezer

If we get moisture and temps stay in the right range we will have good winter pasture and hay to sell. We always like to make sure we have 4 bales per pair on hand in case moisture and tempature don't cooperate. How many bales per pair do you plan for?

Gizmom
A good year is no hay needed. But hay is used as a tool to wean calves, hold cows for sale and like this year with logging limiting the use of some pastures it would be effective to buy and feed hay for 30 days in the early fall to let pastures stockpile. Drought is a separate animal: try to sell down and feed a few or not. But drought is a tool to help us bite the bullet and sell the ones that need to go.

i've never had a hay barn until i built mine last year.. this year is my first to store hay inside.

It amazing how mcuh space they take sitting outside vs. being able to stack them.

I think I'll save atleast 30% of my hay by putting it inside. My barn will pay for itself in 10 years or less.

After some more livestock buildings, i'll be building another hay barn.. I'll be 'stockpiling' hay when I can find it from the horse people for next to nothing, and getting big bucks feeding it to cows for near free.

I was out of town for work today and I passed an identical steel skeleton of an old building that was being torn down. My first thought was, I wonder how much it would cost me to pay someone to disassemble it and ship it 120 miles to me.

Latest posts