3year old barn kept rolls

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
A good friend of mine called me said his father in law has some 3year old barn kept rolls he wants to know if I'd be interested in buying I asked how much he said $10 a roll any of y'all ever fed 3 year old hay said he's got 35-40 rolls

True Grit Farms":1vypue9e said:
Buy it, it's worth more than that as mulch.
Thinking I can buy it abd rotate it with my this year hay if I get it I'll be able to feed 10 more pairs till grass comes in we are usually grazing grass by middle of March

I have some 7 year old, some 5, some 3 and this year's. The old is at the back of the barn. Buy it and you will be surprised how well they eat it.

I am feeding some hay that is over two years old stacked outside. Net wrapped damaged on the bottom and about 6 inches on the rest.I take the net off and scatter the hay. The cows eat the best and leaves the rest.

Lift one up and see what the bottom looks like. Either way they are easily worth $10. If they arn't to good, feed them in a ravine or somewhere you have an erosion problem. Let the cows pick through them and leave the rest for soil restoration.

bird dog":1ysg6qlx said:
Lift one up and see what the bottom looks like. Either way they are easily worth $10. If they arn't to good, feed them in a ravine or somewhere you have an erosion problem. Let the cows pick through them and leave the rest for soil restoration.
I don't have a erosion problem where I live but I do have 4 acres of freshly cleared woods just left a handful of big oaks fir shade that's probably where I'll feed it at

I can't tell you how old they are but we put out some alfalfa bales with barely any netting left to use as bedding. They ate most of it. Same with the straw. Not kept in a barn. Don't get me wrong, they're all over a new bale of brome (or even last years) but sometimes like a little diversity. If it were me I'd buy all 35-40 bales!

TCRanch":1ans78ql said:
I can't tell you how old they are but we put out some alfalfa bales with barely any netting left to use as bedding. They ate most of it. Same with the straw. Not kept in a barn. Don't get me wrong, they're all over a new bale of brome (or even last years) but sometimes like a little diversity. If it were me I'd buy all 35-40 bales!
Waiting to hear back from him I told him I'd take it I just paid $6.50 for some squares yesterday

DCA farm":2jiq9mmc said:
TCRanch":2jiq9mmc said:
Waiting to hear back from him I told him I'd take it I just paid $6.50 for some squares yesterday
How can you afford to feed $6.50 square bales?

kenny thomas":3gzalxln said:
DCA farm":3gzalxln said:
TCRanch":3gzalxln said:

How can he afford not to?

kenny thomas":10zf1drx said:
DCA farm":10zf1drx said:
TCRanch":10zf1drx said:
I feed rolls and square bales both $6.50 is a good price fir fertilized Bermuda hay where I live i

kenny thomas":3e4a20hi said:
DCA farm":3e4a20hi said:
TCRanch":3e4a20hi said:
No one around me has hay they wanna sell so I been buyin all I can find all around incase I get some cows for a deal when people run out. I've got a good friend that ain't asked yet but I know he ain't gonna have enough to winter his cows all the way I'm hoping to have enough extra incase he needs some I can help him out. If the deal goes through on these rolls I know I will have enough

kenny thomas":2vvuu3hz said:
DCA farm":2vvuu3hz said:
The feed stores are selling just mixed hay fir $10 a bale loose string squares
Sounds like the hay business is where the money is there. Good luck getting the cows.
That's just people trying to make a extra buck off men and women in a tight spot. We got so much rain this year everyone who bales cane up short on hay which put everyone who buys hay fighting to get what they could but a lot of people waited to late. I bought rolls when they started getting hard to talk off people I started buying square bales now then are getting hard to find. there a lot of people around me sending whole herd to barn cause they can't feed em.

DCA farm":26z6gul3 said:
kenny thomas":26z6gul3 said:
DCA farm":26z6gul3 said:
The feed stores are selling just mixed hay fir $10 a bale loose string squares
Sounds like the hay business is where the money is there. Good luck getting the cows.
That's just people trying to make a extra buck off men and women in a tight spot. We got so much rain this year everyone who bales cane up short on hay which put everyone who buys hay fighting to get what they could but a lot of people waited to late. I bought rolls when they started getting hard to talk off people I started buying square bales now then are getting hard to find. there a lot of people around me sending whole herd to barn cause they can't feed em.
We were in a drought this year; most everyone ended up with a minimum third of what they baled the past few years. We even baled junk prairie just to get by. That said, $6.50 is a little steep even for fertilized Bermuda. I like having small squares around so we bought 40 bales @$5 from a neighbor.

Latest posts