An Observation during calving season

Help Support CattleToday:

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE

Reaction score
One thing that always touches my heart during calving season is the cow and her new calf. You can almost feel the emotion between them as they spend quiet time together...a part of the herd yet separate. The near panic and anxiety of a first time heifer after she has had her calf, almost like, "what am I supposed to do?"....then instinct takes over and she cares for the new calf like shes an old pro. The envy of other heifers that have not calved yet, as they smell of the new calves and watch the older cows as if trying to get a feel for what they will soon experience.It is almost like a rite of passage.

Makes it all worthwhile .... 8) :) ;-) :cboy:

I think i know what you mean I have had to calves so far this year both of them from first timer heifer and i am amazed how well they take care of there calv.there is nothing like just wachting it maybe i am weird but i can spend hours just watching them

Dane12,,,,,you are not alone, I sit on the tractor or 4 wheeler and watch mine too for hours also. If I get up and walk around they all come to the pen gate and want a handout, they are so spoiled.

Today, I took the afternoon off, it was mid 70's here today and not a cloud in the sky and I worked on the tractor and loading alley and misc. and watched the cows, and watched the cows,,and watched the cows. LOL

oh yeah I fixed the road from all the rain,,,,the dirt is back at the top of the hill again. It's amazing how much work we do when we take time off from our regular job and never complain about it either.

my favorite time is calving when they are all playing together. i have them at the house so i can sit and watch them. i enjoy the pictures of everybody's calves

Calving is indeed fun but I have to admit, getting them off of my payroll and getting a paycheck is what I enjoy the most. Been seeing lots of calf pics in these posts that look like they'd fetch quite a few nickels.

Sometimes there is a feeling you get, you just have to take time and watch. I wonder if anybody other than farmers and ranchers get it.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3ews9btx said:
One thing that always touches my heart during calving season is the cow and her new calf. You can almost feel the emotion between them as they spend quiet time together...

Yesterday saw the bad side of the emotion. Moma's bag filled, dead calf, and me showing up after work. That cow had a look in her face like "where were you four hours ago!"
This morning moma's still off by herself eating hay. She knows something isn't right; walks right up to me and looks straight in my eyes. This from a cow who kept a 10 foot distance at all times.

You can't have cows without losing em. O.k. #56 is next, let's focus on her.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2otr7hdl said:
You can almost feel the emotion between them as they spend quiet time together...

like this?

**CB....this pic's for you. :p

cypressfarms":3rkivtpn said:
Caustic Burno":3rkivtpn said:
Fine looking Herf Txag this new satelite internet them things jump right in here lickty split.

What!!!! you looking at pics now CB?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :stop:

I have never had the opprotunity to see a calf born, but I did see our mare have her foal. It was hilariuos, she turned around when the foal was about half way out and looked at it and pinned her ears back. she didn't know why it was there and she didn't want it there. Then the foal made a little nicker and her whole expression changed and that was when they made a connection.

This is a refreshing post, pictures and comments. Txag, nice cow and calf. The calves always make me laugh to myself when I see their heads down trying to be invisible when everything is hanging out in the open.

Latest posts