American Black Hereford Association

Help Support CattleToday:

mrvictordomino":27859b6h said:
A little difference in comparing the acceptence of Horned / Polled herefords verses Red Herefords / Black Herefords...
Black herefords are still crossbreds and will never be introduced into the American Hereford Association record books,
thus the need for a Black Hereford association. To each his own.

You are right. The Polled Herefords were actually considered dwarfs and were not accepted by the American Hereford Association. Black Herefords are using the same process used by other breeds of introducing the black hide through the Angus, but then breeding the percentages back up. They are different processes. The point is that the change happened.

I hope all of you purists never purchase a Black Simmental, Gelbveih, Charolais, etc. Apparently they are not purebreds but crossbreds. My view is that if the association votes to consider a calf purebred at a certain percentage, then it is a purebred. Each association sets the definition of "purebred". After all, every breed was a crossbreed at one point.

You are right that Black Herefords will probably never be part of the Hereford Association. However, this may change. Other breeds have eventually allowed for the change in hair color.

TexasBred":h8j517kq said:
Isomade":h8j517kq said:
I need an address of where to send my check. I got 97 WF Angus to register. I want in on the ground floor before this thing takes off like a rocket! :banana:

Heck I thought I was building a herd of black baldies and find out now I got a herd of black herefords. :cry2: I'm screwed if I try to sell'em.

If you have all of the necessary data, then lets get your herd registered. Do you have the parentage on both sides to prove the 87.5%? Have you been keeping your performance data? You had to start with the initial F1 and then use registered Black Hereford Bulls, or Hereford bulls that are approved by the Association and are leaders in the Hereford Association in five traits. If you have been using that quality of Hereford Bulls, then I might be interested in purchasing some of your cows.

If your cows are actually just crossbred cows, then I am not interested. There is definitely a difference.

you seem like your from a good ranching family, something we can use on here,,,thats what its about.. and what im interested in.. hope you dont get put off by this ...

Jobulls":y1voraad said:
TexasBred":y1voraad said:
Isomade":y1voraad said:
I need an address of where to send my check. I got 97 WF Angus to register. I want in on the ground floor before this thing takes off like a rocket! :banana:

Heck I thought I was building a herd of black baldies and find out now I got a herd of black herefords. :cry2: I'm screwed if I try to sell'em.

If you have all of the necessary data, then lets get your herd registered. Do you have the parentage on both sides to prove the 87.5%? Have you been keeping your performance data? You had to start with the initial F1 and then use registered Black Hereford Bulls, or Hereford bulls that are approved by the Association and are leaders in the Hereford Association in five traits. If you have been using that quality of Hereford Bulls, then I might be interested in purchasing some of your cows.

If your cows are actually just crossbred cows, then I am not interested. There is definitely a difference.

he's not the one claiming or under the delusion his cows or more than crossbreds... and the only difference i can see is that the ranchers i know with crossbred baldie cows actually have something to be proud of.

an angus cow or black hided cow dominates the west. why would any rancher not only give up heterosis using 87.5 % hereford but pass on basic quality? a hereford is the culmination of a specific set of traits that make up their character. you add angus to it and they are simply a crossbred no matter how much spin you put on it.

the only scenario where a so called "black" hereford makes any sense is on straight charolais cows or straight continental cows - and if that is the message then you guys got everything backwards.

but sounds like your having fun tho...

also - if you know hereford histoy. part of why polled herefords were not readily accepted in the beginning is because many believed they were also crossbreds. every heard of a polled kansan?

so if a hereford animal could be made black hided instead of red hided without using angus or crossbreeding or in otherwords, from within - would it be more acceptable to any? heard thru the grapevine that it is possible... and if that ever came to light, what would the abha's gimic be then?

Hereford76":1jchtas2 said:
so if a hereford animal could be made black hided instead of red hided without using angus or crossbreeding or in otherwords, from within - would it be more acceptable to any? heard thru the grapevine that it is possible... and if that ever came to light, what would the abha's gimic be then?
I think that ABHA needs to improve their cattle first and they needs to overcome another problem: too much white on them which can get you docked at the salebarn depends on where you live. So a black hereford bull bred to TRUE hereford cows may not be ideal. Also if you bred a black hereford bull to angus cows, but then again there are lot of good TRUE hereford bulls there than black hereford bulls. Even if you have black hereford cows, so use black angus bull on them to get "black baldies" but then again it's same thing as a black angus bull on TRUE hereford cows to get black baldies. Most times the F1 black baldies are sold at salebarn and not use as replacements. Even if they kept F1 black baldies as replacements, they are usually bred to a bull of another breed that is not angus or hereford to get more hybrid vigor.......so yeah using black hereford for crossbreeding doesn't make any sense when it's already done using TRUE herefords to angus to get same results.

Beleive a fellow near Miles City tried to start a black-- baldy assc. many years ago.Seems to me his name was Chizzum or something like that. The same guy who herded his cows up and down the highway riteaway in one of those really dri summers.I personally could care less how many more breeds of cattle are "developed". A lot of things that have been tried is just some way to get into someones pocket, and don't believe we are very short of beef breeds in the U.S. Would be interested in knowing just how many breeds there are at this time.

Taurus, I bought a 2012 bull from jobulls and am extremely happy with him. He is 86% and docile as can be. I took him down for his paps test last week and by the end of the day had won a few folks over to the breed. So don't feel bad for me buying a bull from him cause I'm going to be a repeat customer.

ellettfarms":10btolpz said:
Taurus, I bought a 2012 bull from jobulls and am extremely happy with him. He is 86% and docile as can be. I took him down for his paps test last week and by the end of the day had won a few folks over to the breed. So don't feel bad for me buying a bull from him cause I'm going to be a repeat customer.
No worries! Keep buying his products so he can keep his business going with his special "bulls". :tiphat: