American Aberdeen Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry to hear about your loss. This was your bought bred cow, right? Not sure it's specifically a breed issue but could be a breeder issue…pre calving vaccines? Is dam healthy? If this is the one your dairy calf has been stealing from, did her own calf get colostrum or get pushed out at nursing?
More questions than a specific breed issue, I'm afraid. Disheartening to say the least.

Dang. Sorry to hear that.
We've got four on the ground with three to go, but it was a strange year for us. One we had to pull (with some input of others and knowing she was a bottle baby, she is definitely stunted), and the other was just slow to eat at a 19° night (her dam has never giving us an inkling of poor mothering). It was a very long night, but those four are good now. Next day, one was backwards but went okay. The latest one surprised me and had it in the middle of the night and luckily went ok. Hoping our luck turned around for the next three.

I always ask myself if my tenacity is being tested or if it's a sign to stop while I'm ahead. I usually tell myself it's a learning year, and if year two goes just as wrong then it's a sign.

I hope your next ones go much better.

Picture of the stunted one that needed four days to really start mothering. This was the day after her having it. Loved it but not quite enough to clean the behind and she was very full of milk. Since she straightened up she'll get a second go cause she's a tough lady and does everything else right.

Attachments

• IMG_2484.jpeg
    IMG_2484.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 10
Sorry to hear about your loss. This was your bought bred cow, right? Not sure it's specifically a breed issue but could be a breeder issue…pre calving vaccines? Is dam healthy? If this is the one your dairy calf has been stealing from, did her own calf get colostrum or get pushed out at nursing?
More questions than a specific breed issue, I'm afraid. Disheartening to say the least.
Yes she was one of the bred cows. I suspect no actual vaccines etc. even thought the breeder made claims. Also had health issues that prevented general herd care for several years it turned out so how much was really done is a mystery. Just from the experience when I picked them up. She did have heifer calving "problems" when she delivered trying to claim other older calves as her own instead of pushing hers out. She later did allow our jersey calf to nurse. We caught that in a few days but certainly she was being nursed down. He was eating from what we could tell well and regularly. He was having movements so clearly was getting milk. I've never seen a calf go from running the night before to down and near death by mid day the following day. Especially in a beef animal. I more expect that in a dairy calf. It just puts more salt to the wound at this point. Trying not to blame the cattle/breeder but it's just one more thing in this whole deal that leaves a bad taste. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it's a herd issue after all the stories the breeder told me when I was picking them up.
Dang. Sorry to hear that.
We've got four on the ground with three to go, but it was a strange year for us. One we had to pull (with some input of others and knowing she was a bottle baby, she is definitely stunted), and the other was just slow to eat at a 19° night (her dam has never giving us an inkling of poor mothering). It was a very long night, but those four are good now. Next day, one was backwards but went okay. The latest one surprised me and had it in the middle of the night and luckily went ok. Hoping our luck turned around for the next three.

I always ask myself if my tenacity is being tested or if it's a sign to stop while I'm ahead. I usually tell myself it's a learning year, and if year two goes just as wrong then it's a sign.

I hope your next ones go much better.

Picture of the stunted one that needed four days to really start mothering. This was the day after her having it. Loved it but not quite enough to clean the behind and she was very full of milk. Since she straightened up she'll get a second go cause she's a tough lady and does everything else right.
I am sure the sudden swings in weather didn't help the issue for us either. I sure am sorry to hear about your problems this season. Hopefully you're over the hump and all the rest will be better. I hear you on the stop while we are ahead. We discussed that last night. It's just another blow to an already bad experience with these cows. The cattle themselves have blossomed here. No "stranger danger" at all when people come to see them.
That's great you got the the stunted one all turned around. It's always nice when that happens. We wish it didn't happen but a good outcome is always nice. We will most likely give this mom another year. She has been a pretty good mom for a heifer. Just frustrated with all the problems with these "docile, easy calving, easily maintained" cattle so far. Some or most I can't really blame on them as it's breeder issues but some I question if it's a breed thing.

This is a photo of a 7/8 Dexter and her Aberdeen calf. I sold the cow to girl that wanted a red Dexter. The Aberdeen bull I had really beefed up
her calf nicely, I think. The calf's Grandsire came from a herd over in Eastern Oregon, Vale area. I realize this is a very long ways from
where you are. They have had Aberdeen Angus for 22 years. If this link will work it can connect you with one more source of information. http://www.lazyglowline.com/

Attachments

• Sunday and Rowdy.JPEG
    Sunday and Rowdy.JPEG
    67.5 KB · Views: 8
That's a nice pair. Glad you posted a picture. Nice to see what crosses look like. Thanks for the link. No problems with the cattle you've gotten from them?

That's a nice pair. Glad you posted a picture. Nice to see what crosses look like. Thanks for the link. No problems with the cattle you've gotten from them?
Have not bought direct from that producer. Tried to, but after paying full price in advance, and three months later they were still unable to find someone to deliver to my area. So they refunded.
They do have some pictures of the Aberdeen crossed with hereford that are impressive.

They said they have shipped bulls out of state, Texas, east coast.
But I have only seen photos of their livestock, except for the bull calf I purchased from some people over here on the west side of Oregon.

Curious if anyone has used Aberdeen Angus to breed first calf heifers? Should be very easy calving on a full size heifer. There's a pretty big outfit around here that uses corriente bulls on heifers for easy calving, last I talked to him he said they never lose a heifer or calf that way. My thinking was an Aberdeen would be a beefier calf and still low birth weight.

Curious if anyone has used Aberdeen Angus to breed first calf heifers? Should be very easy calving on a full size heifer. There's a pretty big outfit around here that uses corriente bulls on heifers for easy calving, last I talked to him he said they never lose a heifer or calf that way. My thinking was an Aberdeen would be a beefier calf and still low birth weight.
We've only had two non Aberdeen cows on the farm. One was a Hereford and the other is a British white mutt. Once we got into the 45" bull range she threw 80 lb calves every year. Her 50% Aberdeen calves throw in the 60-70ish lb range.
The British white will be having her first one this year but bred to a char cross she threw a 70 lb calf. I can report back she should pop by the end of next week.

I worry too much about malpositions to use these guys to "sleep through the night". I can stand to lose a little sleep to keep production going lol

It is something the breed is trying to push. They've released a few videos on it. Makes for very easy calving on heifers. Still grow really well just a reduced height on the calves but still marketable because they are still 1/2 full size cow. So not as small as a pure Aberdeen but still a marketable animal at weaning or butcher.

We did and they grew out really nicely with smaller calves.

In this day and age, it amazes me how people worry about calving HEIFERS. If the heifer is grown out properly (not starved), and bred to a decent (not cow killer bull), she should be able to lay down and spit out a good size calf unassisted. People should be more concerned about abnormal presentations - which none of us can predict or avoid. It happens. So, I watch all my calving cows/heifers. I don't watch heifers "more" than a mature cow. Cameras are super cheap - go right to you phone.
Edit - on the dead calf. "IF" another calf depleted the dam's colostrum before or shortly after calving, your newborn was potentially doomed.

Last edited:
With me, my paranoia with larger calves stems from what I saw when I was growing up. "First impressions" of the Herefords at
that time was seeing a dead cow and calf being drug down the road because of the size of the calf. Then again seeing what can
happen when a first calf heifer (Hereford x Angus) tries to deliver a Charolais calf. So I have always preferred not to test my cows as
to how big of a calf they can delivery.
And with some, even crossing a full size cow with one of the smaller breeds she may have a smaller size calf or regular size beef calf.
Have seen dexter crosses grow out that did not show any dexter, nor did any of the calves they raised. With the Corriente, the calves were
definitely a more slender build.

I think quite a few of you have been building your herds over a fairly long span of time and cull anything that doesn't meet certain
standards, thus minimizing calving problems.

I am really hard on myself if something goes wrong with one of my cows calving, especially if it could have made a difference if I
checked her at 3am instead of 4am.

Edit - on the dead calf. "IF" another calf depleted the dam's colostrum before or shortly after calving, your newborn was potentially doomed.
In our situation with this one that wasn't the case. This pair was alone together up until a few days after birth to bond and the diary group was separated. Definitely something we try and watch out for however.
I think quite a few of you have been building your herds over a fairly long span of time and cull anything that doesn't meet certain
This is what we have gone for over the years. Looks like with this group we are starting "fresh".

With me, my paranoia with larger calves stems from what I saw when I was growing up. "First impressions" of the Herefords at
that time was seeing a dead cow and calf being drug down the road because of the size of the calf. Then again seeing what can
happen when a first calf heifer (Hereford x Angus) tries to deliver a Charolais calf. So I have always preferred not to test my cows as
to how big of a calf they can delivery.
And with some, even crossing a full size cow with one of the smaller breeds she may have a smaller size calf or regular size beef calf.
Have seen dexter crosses grow out that did not show any dexter, nor did any of the calves they raised. With the Corriente, the calves were
definitely a more slender build.

I am really hard on myself if something goes wrong with one of my cows calving, especially if it could have made a difference if I
checked her at 3am instead of 4am.
Its not size of calf its the cow we breed for 80 lbs calf that calf will be in the market 30 days before a 60 pound calf u need cows that can carry one.

I have never had to pull a calf because of size, from any of the beef cows I have owned. I used bulls that were Angus or Murray Grey and a
couple years I borrowed a Shorthorn bull. I would be more concerned with what they can deliver than what they can carry.

And I can understand some of you being alarmed if your beef cows were dropping 45-50 lb. calves. That is not a bad weight however for an Aberdeen or Dexter to have. Those smaller breed of cows are after all significantly smaller than the average European or Continental cow.

Latest posts