All about meat quality.

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":38v2eaya said:
cmay":38v2eaya said:
backhoeboogie":38v2eaya said:
LCCAttle you have wasted more money.

What's your point in grinding an axe? You have something against angus folks? Both are labeled as angus but both are obviously very poor quality

Do you really think it looks like poor quality for round steak and sirloin?

absolutely.

I thought it looked pretty typical for those cuts. The carcass it came from was either select or choice. I guess I really don't know what a round steak from a prime carcass looks like.

"typical" is correct. The carcass may have graded choice an it's about average of what you will most often see in any of today's chain grocery store meat case, but it is not anywhere near an exceptional or even better example of that cut. I would pass on it even as a chicken fried steak candidate.

cmay":xypekczx said:
I thought it looked pretty typical for those cuts. The carcass it came from was either select or choice. I guess I really don't know what a round steak from a prime carcass looks like.

About every year for the past 25 years or so I have had a steer processed. They have not always been perfect but I have done really well. Proud of my steaks and my efforts. Mine are not graded by the USDA. Because I process my own, I wind up with either round steak or else ground round. Often we will grind one of the two rounds and have the other cut into thinner steaks for chicken fry. Because of this, I have seen a lot of round steaks. I can't call them "prime" by USDA grading, but I can tell you they are. They look much better than that steak in the picture. They are much better than what you can buy at a typical grocery store chain.

My grandfather worked at his uncle's butcher shop for years. He knew steak much better than I But I paid attention to what he taught me about steak, back in the day. I paid attention to a lot of things. Thru the years I have bought steak and feel he knew what he was talking about.

cmay":we76lyae said:
The fat wasn't "trimmed off". You picked two lean cuts of beef. You never saw the ribeye on these particular beeves. Let me repeat. You can only grade if you see the ribeye.

And that's your story and you're sticking to it? Well good, because you just prove my point why all meats should have a USDA label on it so the consumer knows what they are buying. Unless you think the consumer has some way of finding the rib-eye from the particular carcass the meat they are considering buying came from.
And if by some miracle they can find the rib-eye from the same carcass which also has no USDA label on it, do you think they are qualified and have the equipment with them to grade it as does the USDA before they buy it?

For those of you who think educating the public to grade meat is to complicated for consumers, you are correct, as has been shown here. But they can be taught what USDA grades mean so they know what they are buying and how to properly cook different grades and cuts of meat.

LCCattle":21z8mggx said:
cmay":21z8mggx said:
The fat wasn't "trimmed off". You picked two lean cuts of beef. You never saw the ribeye on these particular beeves. Let me repeat. You can only grade if you see the ribeye.

And that's your story and you're sticking to it? Well good, because you just prove my point why all meats should have a USDA label on it so the consumer knows what they are buying. Unless you think the consumer has some way of finding the rib-eye from the particular carcass the meat they are considering buying came from.
And if by some miracle they can find the rib-eye from the same carcass which also has no USDA label on it, do you think they are qualified and have the equipment with them to grade it as does the USDA before they buy it?

For those of you who think educating the public to grade meat is to complicated for consumers, you are correct, as has been shown here. But they can be taught what USDA grades mean so they know what they are buying and how to properly cook different grades and cuts of meat.

It's not my story. It's the simple truth of how grading works. I was just pointing out how little you know about grading.

LCCattle":31crn0ho said:

You have a point. But I have no desire to educate anyone who does not want to be educated. Practically everyone on this forum is willing to help.

I have had meat selection conversation numerous times over the years. Sitting around the lunch table listening. You'd be shocked at some of the myths out there -that people believe. Advertisement works!

Consumers look at the price first. That's on the label. Anything to get the consumer to purchase, is put on the label.

Some consumers think "choice" is good because "choice" has positive implications. For all they know its better than prime.

Consumers have been mislead. Advertisement works.

There is a lot of information right here on the internet that is not advertisement but rather cold hard fact. If the consumer really wants to know, they can find the info. We didn't have that luxury until recent years.

Raise the price of your product. Then put a "20% off" sticker on it and a "as advertised" sticker on it. It will get your product looked at by consumers. Human nature I guess. If they can buy the same product across the street for the same money, they are convinced they SAVED money buying it where they bought it because it was 20% off.

What your proposing Larry is that every area of the carcass have a USDA stamp. Billions and billions of dollars is what that would cost. When like I said people have the answer at thier fingertips. You can't fix stupid which very apparent in this thread.

So, if you have two round steaks that are pretty much identical, but one came from a Choice carcass and the other from Select....why does it matter? It doesn't! The only thing grade tells you is how cuts off of that particular carcass are going to taste. That's it. If you have a Prime brisket and a Select brisket, you're still going to cook both of them to 203 degrees. You're still going to cube or roast a chuck the same no matter how much marbling it has. GRADE DOESN'T CHANGE HOW YOU COOK IT.

backhoeboogie":3vntau7w said:
cmay":3vntau7w said:

About every year for the past 25 years or so I have had a steer processed. They have not always been perfect but I have done really well. Proud of my steaks and my efforts. Mine are not graded by the USDA. Because I process my own, I wind up with either round steak or else ground round. Often we will grind one of the two rounds and have the other cut into thinner steaks for chicken fry. Because of this, I have seen a lot of round steaks. I can't call them "prime" by USDA grading, but I can tell you they are. They look much better than that steak in the picture. They are much better than what you can buy at a typical grocery store chain.

My grandfather worked at his uncle's butcher shop for years. He knew steak much better than I But I paid attention to what he taught me about steak, back in the day. I paid attention to a lot of things. Thru the years I have bought steak and feel he knew what he was talking about.
I pretty much do the same but I take mine to the to a local processor and ask him his opinion of how he thought it would grade before it is cut up. Based on his and my opinion I decide what cut I want and those that should be ground. My processor is USDA approved and I could have it graded by UDSA inspector, but I never have. My meat comes out stamped " NOT FOR RESALE ". But I could have it USDA graded, and with the USDA label I could sell boxed beef wholesale or retail.

Another way to tell the quality of your beef is to watch the price of cattle. Believe me buyers can judge what cattle will produce the best beef by sight and/or reputation. My calves always sell within $.02 of the high for that sale, which tells me my cattle will grade high choice or prime. USDA grading pencils out like this for me.
$25 kill
$.45 per lb. Hanging weight
$25.00 USDA grade label
I will have a steer for myself in Sept. -Nov, I'll have him USDA graded and let you know.

Phenotype will give you a clue of how they COULD grade, but buyers absolutely can't tell without a doubt what a particular animal will end up grading when they run through the sale.

ricebeltrancher":3oc2hmw9 said:
Phenotype will give you a clue of how they COULD grade, but buyers absolutely can't tell without a doubt what a particular animal will end up grading when they run through the sale.
absolutely can't tell without a doubt
True but they can make a good educated guess.

They can darn near tell you the history and cross breeding of the animal by looking at it. When I ask how do you know that ? I get, look at the head, look at those ears, look at the size of the animal and body structure, look at that bob tail, color etc etc etc.
And if he has bought from that seller in the past he has a pretty good idea how that sellers cattle will turn out on his feeding protocol.

Look at Black Canyons video and tell me you can't tell they are cross bred Angus, I sure can. Even I can tell the difference between an Angus a Brangus and a Beefmaster.
And note they do not call them BLACK Angus, just ANGUS cattle.
http://www.blackcanyon-angusbeef.com/me ... type=Video

dieselbeef":3duinbn2 said:
i aint bought any beef in 15 yrs.. I raise cattle. if I grow vegs I don't buy them either...
Well you should -------- at least once a year just so you can compare what you are producing and eating and what the consumers, your end customers, are getting.

dieselbeef":1b8bf43h said:
i aint bought any beef in 15 yrs.. I raise cattle. if I grow vegs I don't buy them either...

I run out of steak to quick. Have roast and ground beef still. No steaks tho.

LCCattle":28u0bv88 said:
dieselbeef":28u0bv88 said:
Well you should -------- at least once a year just so you can compare what you are producing and eating and what the consumers, your end customers, are getting.

Why, If the consumer does not want whats it in the store they have options. buy a whole or half raise it them selves go hungry etc. You need to get off the notion that the public needs assistance. I WILL REPEAT IT AGAIN , if the consumers are too freaking stupid to figure out how to buy food let the sorry sobs starve. the world would be a better place if a whole bunch of them took themselves out of the gene pool. If you were to take up the "personal reasponability" fight Larry you might get some support from the cattle today crowd.

M-5":31y1m14z said:
LCCattle":31y1m14z said:
dieselbeef":31y1m14z said:

Why, If the consumer does not want whats it in the store they have options. buy a whole or half raise it them selves go hungry etc. You need to get off the notion that the public needs assistance. I WILL REPEAT IT AGAIN , if the consumers are too freaking stupid to figure out how to buy food let the sorry sobs starve. the world would be a better place if a whole bunch of them took themselves out of the gene pool. If you were to take up the "personal reasponability" fight Larry you might get some support from the cattle today crowd.
I like the way you think.

Latest posts