All about meat quality.

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":3skwwk73 said:
LCCattle":3skwwk73 said:
dieselbeef":3skwwk73 said:
i aint bought any beef in 15 yrs.. I raise cattle. if I grow vegs I don't buy them either...
Well you should -------- at least once a year just so you can compare what you are producing and eating and what the consumers, your end customers, are getting.

Why, If the consumer does not want whats it in the store they have options. buy a whole or half raise it them selves go hungry etc. You need to get off the notion that the public needs assistance. I WILL REPEAT IT AGAIN , if the consumers are too freaking stupid to figure out how to buy food let the sorry sobs starve. the world would be a better place if a whole bunch of them took themselves out of the gene pool. If you were to take up the "personal reasponability" fight Larry you might get some support from the cattle today crowd.
I like the way you think.

LCCattle":plblagw0 said:
ricebeltrancher":plblagw0 said:
Phenotype will give you a clue of how they COULD grade, but buyers absolutely can't tell without a doubt what a particular animal will end up grading when they run through the sale.
absolutely can't tell without a doubt
True but they can make a good educated guess.

They can darn near tell you the history and cross breeding of the animal by looking at it. When I ask how do you know that ? I get, look at the head, look at those ears, look at the size of the animal and body structure, look at that bob tail, color etc etc etc.
And if he has bought from that seller in the past he has a pretty good idea how that sellers cattle will turn out on his feeding protocol.

Look at Black Canyons video and tell me you can't tell they are cross bred Angus, I sure can. Even I can tell the difference between an Angus a Brangus and a Beefmaster.
And note they do not call them BLACK Angus, just ANGUS cattle.
http://www.blackcanyon-angusbeef.com/me ... type=Video

Black Canyons video tells you they are angus. No need to draw on your vast knowledge of cattle phenotypes.

So, it looks like you are finally doing some research on the beef you bought with the Black Canyon label. Pretty easy to find the info on the USDA grade, wasn't it.

See the post from sim.-ang.king .

LCCattle":3gr5bckn said:
What is your opinion of these two beef store bought meat?
What USDA label from table 2 at click here would you put on these 2 meats based on just what you can see?

Meat # 1.

Meat # 2.

My opinion: Select
I would not buy them, but my cousin who is all about lean red meat certainly would.

I looked at the steaks at the local Wal-Mart. All of the choice steaks had a USDA choice label
I compared Wal-Mart USDA choice sirloin steaks to the unlabeled Wal-mart sirloin steaks.
In my opinion the unlabeled sirloin steaks were all Select and they were also priced $1.02 lb cheaper.

I would have bought the higher priced choice steak, my cousin would've turned up her nose and said too many white flecks of fat in that steak and she would've chosen the leaner, cheaper [tougher] unlabeled (select) steak and happily believed she had gotten the better deal. Maybe she did. To each their own.
Isn't freedom of choice great?

Latest posts