We can’t kill them all…..

Help Support CattleToday:

Some do it to each other. 38 mature bulls in a small pasture. 5 bale feeders for them. They decided to have a rumble last night and a good four year old dead this morning.
I hate that. I had one break a leg about this time of year a couple of years ago under similar circumstances. Sorry for your luck.

I don't know if the rest of you have had the same experience... but it sure seems like the animals I like the best or have the most invested in are the ones that are most likely to have problems, accidents, infertility, or some other kind of bad juju.

I don't know... but maybe it's because just about everything I ever owned was my favorite in some way or another.

That's a bit tough Dave. I would have thought they would be more interested in cuddling up together in your conditions rather than fighting.

Ken

so true, unless it's 100+deg, then they want to lay under a bush in the shade.
When my limo and homeraised boy were put in the same pasture it was that hot.. they had a 4 hour fight.. though after about a half an hour they were just resting their heads on each other

I don't know if the rest of you have had the same experience... but it sure seems like the animals I like the best or have the most invested in are the ones that are most likely to have problems, accidents, infertility, or some other kind of bad juju.

I don't know... but maybe it's because just about everything I ever owned was my favorite in some way or another.
Yup, sure seems that way!
This was a really nice heifer, super docile.. what did she do? she went and ate some pine needles, aborted, and never was able to breed back again
20210722_104237.jpg

Getting scritches from total strangers
20200906_195151.jpg

nice heifer, gorgeous landscape and great grass!
At least the pine needles didn't kill her and she was still worth something for slaughter.

nice heifer, gorgeous landscape and great grass!
At least the pine needles didn't kill her and she was still worth something for slaughter.
Yeah, I had a 2 year old steer as well, she had 100 lbs more meat in the freezer than he did!.. was about 600 lbs.. She may have chosen the profitable way out for me. Her momma is a really nice cow and just haven't had any luck with her heifers.. Kept one this year, hopefully she breaks that curse. Last one I kept I just sold, milked so much she didn't breed back, poor girl didn't save any groceries for herself.. Kept the calf though.. Momma is off to the rightIMG_20220907_110921_772.jpg

Just a thought. If you have enough cows with surplus milk what about trying a bull with lower milk EPD's ?
Should put you back on even ground for any heifers retained.

Just a thought. If you have enough cows with surplus milk what about trying a bull with lower milk EPD's ?
Should put you back on even ground for any heifers retained.
Most of them are fine, and if they get through that first year or so and rise up in the pecking order, then they turn into some real good cows

Some do it to each other. 38 mature bulls in a small pasture. 5 bale feeders for them. They decided to have a rumble last night and a good four year old dead this morning.

It's not just bulls. I helped butcher a big 2-year old heifer after a mature cow with horns hooked her while they were being fed, and the horn went into her liver.

so true, unless it's 100+deg, then they want to lay under a bush in the shade.
That doesn't work for cowboys, I prefer to cowboy in heat over cold. Then again, I'm a weirdo and should not be trusted for any measures of social guidance. I also relocate cottonmouths. Do not take weather preferences from me, I am unhinged.

That doesn't work for cowboys, I prefer to cowboy in heat over cold. Then again, I'm a weirdo and should not be trusted for any measures of social guidance. I also relocate cottonmouths. Do not take weather preferences from me, I am unhinged.

I had a guy at work catch a rat snake (what I grew up calling a chicken snake) and put it in a sack. I took it home and turned it loose near where I store feed. I've run into a few people who had trouble grasping the concept of intentionally bringing a snake home.

I now feed a couple of cats down there. They serve the same purpose.

I had a guy at work catch a rat snake (what I grew up calling a chicken snake) and put it in a sack. I took it home and turned it loose near where I store feed. I've run into a few people who had trouble grasping the concept of intentionally bringing a snake home.

I now feed a couple of cats down there. They serve the same purpose.
Had a kingsnake living in my feed shed for a few years when my son lived at home, he and my wife hated having to feed because of the snake. I told them with that kingsnake I didn't have to worry about poisonous snakes or mice, we rarely seen him but would find new sheds lying around, each bigger than the last.

Had a kingsnake living in my feed shed for a few years when my son lived at home, he and my wife hated having to feed because of the snake. I told them with that kingsnake I didn't have to worry about poisonous snakes or mice, we rarely seen him but would find new sheds lying around, each bigger than the last.
The only snakes we kill are poisonous, and that's only if they're right around the house, workshop or in the garage.

Latest posts