AI

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm paying $5/hd to give em Lut shots and apply the stickers. After watching it being done once, I won't be paying for it again unless I have to be out of town when I want it to happen. The same tech will come back to my place and do the enseminating for $15-20/hd. Don't for get you'll have semen cost also, and more if you decide to synch them another way.

nebraskadave":25aesnk7 said:
What is the going rate for AI work? Had a guy ask me today what it would cost per head to hire an AI tech.

I have done some AI work for others for $12/head for the service plus mileage. Mileage to me is important. I have driven 40 miles one way to do 10 head. $120 would not have been worth my time, but add $.50/mile X 80 miles, and I at least get reimbursed for wear and tear on my vehicle. I have also driven a lot less for more. ;-)

All of the other costs such as semen, drugs are on the cattle owner.

I have my best friend from college who lives about 60 miles away. I have AI'd his cows the last two years on a timed AI protocal. We have done about 40 head each year, and I let him pay me with a pizza and a pitcher of beer. :cowboy:

Bandit, now that you've let the secret out you'll probably get lots of call to do a bit of AI work and join us for beer and pizza. :lol2: :lol2:

Sure thing TB. I like pepperoni, and as far as the beer is concerned, just make sure it is wet and cold. :D

novatech":f9l05h8p said:
I do not know if it would apply in this case but feed ing the heifers something with a high fat content may help.
http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2003/May/CT266.shtml

All you're doing is increasing energy. Any other time I'd recommend feeding whole cottonseed to increase body condition but since they're at an all time high just regular vegetable fat included in ration would work as well.....or just increase the amount of corn in the diet. (heck that ain't cheap either). Nothin's cheap anymore. :cry2: