Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do you use a Vet

• Do it yourself, formal training

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Do it yourself, no formal training

• Total voters
I learned in college as part of one of the required classes. ABS did the schooling.

I breed for a few neighbors around here and our cattle. I don't breed 100 head a year.

I also took it in college about 40 years ago- used to AI a lot, but as I got older and lazier the more I felt sorry for depriving the bulls of their pleasure and decided to leave the task to them ;-) ....

Just took a class at a local semen distributer this spring. The first season of AI is not looking too spectacular. Of course 5 of the 11 I've done so far were first calvers. Between that and the drought we're in, the cycles have been anything but predictable. Looks like due to my lack of experience and a not so stellar job heat detecting by my brother and father, my percentage will end up being somewhere around 40-50%. Oh well, not a complete waste and it leaves me lots of room to improve. :)

El_Putzo":1y7qcblf said:
Just took a class at a local semen distributer this spring. The first season of AI is not looking too spectacular. Of course 5 of the 11 I've done so far were first calvers. Between that and the drought we're in, the cycles have been anything but predictable. Looks like due to my lack of experience and a not so stellar job heat detecting by my brother and father, my percentage will end up being somewhere around 40-50%. Oh well, not a complete waste and it leaves me lots of room to improve. :)

Take heart. There will be good years and bad years. Last year I only ran 75%, I blamed the drought and screwy weather. This year I ended up at 91%, that's more the norm. Droughty conditions didn;t start as early this year and we didn;t get the 100+ days during the breeding season like we did last year.

dun

I was never formally taught, just told do this, this, this and grab this, and push this and that was my training. Settled the only cow I've tried and haven't been home to do any this summer.

Took a course from Genex yeas ago. Do all my own AI. Less trouble than a bull but you pratically have to live with your cows to catch all the heats. Get 100 percent if you don't count the opens that go to the sale barn. Increased profits more than offset the extra trouble.

I did not vote. I am using my vet-friend-mentor as the first offense. I am the second string. After Doc AI's I follow one time for the practice.

Last Friday evening, Doc bred a heifer that was in standing heat in the morning. The heifer was still standing later Friday evening after being AI'ed. I bred her again Saturday morning by myself.

My first goal is to settle at least one cow or heifer while solo AI'ing.

I received brief training from ABS. Now the real school begins.

Thanks for the encouraging words Dun. I kind of got a big head after the first 2 I ever did, stuck on the first attempt. The 3rd one I did really cut me down at the knees though, I couldn't even find her cervix, even using the gun!! I think I might have figured her out a few days later though when I did her daughter and found the daughter's cervix about 5 inches in and pointing at about a 60 degree angle up. I can't say for sure though as I never palpated the original cow again.

I also got to looking back through my notes and I think several of the ones that didn't stick were my fault also in the fact that, against my better judgement, I let my brother and dad convince me that we needed to AI them right at the end of standing heat instead of waiting until 8 hours later.

I just love all these wonderful learning experiences. ;-)

Latest posts