AI Sires for Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

So, did she pass over her cycle?

BTW, I have no problem using purebred simmental bulls on my heifers, you just have to be smart about what your using. Your white face heifer, with her sire, is likely to have a heavier calf at birth so you need to be aware of that but not afraid. We bred a September registered purebred Angus heifer to Beef Maker (http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/Simmen ... o=29SM0385), a purebred simmental bull and I will sleep easy come calving time in mid-September with him.
Did you see the picture I posted of the Grandmaster heifer I posted in the show forum? She is a pretty nice girl, and I really look forward to her calf due in January sired by NLC Upgrade (http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... 21&lang=EN).

Fire Sweep Ranch":2l5xzl49 said:
So, did she pass over her cycle?

BTW, I have no problem using purebred simmental bulls on my heifers, you just have to be smart about what your using. Your white face heifer, with her sire, is likely to have a heavier calf at birth so you need to be aware of that but not afraid. We bred a September registered purebred Angus heifer to Beef Maker (http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/Simmen ... o=29SM0385), a purebred simmental bull and I will sleep easy come calving time in mid-September with him.
Did you see the picture I posted of the Grandmaster heifer I posted in the show forum? She is a pretty nice girl, and I really look forward to her calf due in January sired by NLC Upgrade (http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... 21&lang=EN).
Kris, I like that heifer your youngest daughter is showing (Upgrade 3/4 blood). Yes, I saw that pretty Grandmaster heifer, too. What a wonderful life to live. Great kids and magnificant stock! Can it be any better?

My purebred heifer, with the white blaze face (her name is Blaze) has an interesting history this week. dun helped me navigate the week with her. I AIed her on 5/30. It went so well. I turned her out and even though she is nice and easy to work, she took off into the pasture looking for her mates. I went back into the shop and was looking at the sheath on my gun. I noticed that there was a lot of semen between the straw and the sheath. What happened is the sheath was not fully seated and a portion of the semen did not get deposited in the heifer. I didn't try to get her back in. I thought maybe I got enough inside the uterus to do the job. I had her down to come back in on 6/19. Well on Tueday evening I checked the heifers I am breeding. I noticed Blaze was nosing the other cows and she had manners that made me think maybe she was coming in. I went out Wednesday morning and watched the group of heifers. I saw Blaze mount one of the others. Then I saw her standing while one mounted her. I got them all up into the holding area. I pulled up a chair to observe before doing anything. I use estrotect patches but I didn't expect her to come in yet. Nothing happened. No activity at all. On Thursday, I watched them off and on all day. Nothing. Today, I was scratching her tail and noticed a little blood discharge. I opened her vulva and saw a little watery blood leaking there. I PMed dun and he said she had ovulated. So bad all around. First, the 5/30 AI did not stick and I totally missed her cycle. Now I got about 20 days before another opportunity.

Give her lute 7 days after you saw her nosing around. We did that tonight, had a cow that did not show heat at 21 days, but the baby bulls were all over her like she smelled good. Fast forward 21 more days, no sign of heat, no interest in others and no others interested in her. But, she had a ton of slime when she pooped, and once again the Spring bulls were sniffing her occasionally. So since the vet was out to ultrasound my embryos, I had her checked. She should of been 42 days, but was open. That was 7 days ago, so we gave her lute tonight. We hope to catch her this time.

Oh, and that 3/4 blood Upgrade is built just like your little heifer! We like the same type of cows.... :tiphat: and she is bred to Grandmaster, passed over two cycles now.

Fire Sweep Ranch":2u5yl758 said:
Give her lute 7 days after you saw her nosing around. We did that tonight, had a cow that did not show heat at 21 days, but the baby bulls were all over her like she smelled good. Fast forward 21 more days, no sign of heat, no interest in others and no others interested in her. But, she had a ton of slime when she pooped, and once again the Spring bulls were sniffing her occasionally. So since the vet was out to ultrasound my embryos, I had her checked. She should of been 42 days, but was open. That was 7 days ago, so we gave her lute tonight. We hope to catch her this time.

Oh, and that 3/4 blood Upgrade is built just like your little heifer! We like the same type of cows.... :tiphat: and she is bred to Grandmaster, passed over two cycles now.

Will the lute increase her activity so it is easier to observe this time? BTW, be sure to post a picture of that grandmaster calf.

I believe the 7 days more for, if she was in heat and you gave her the shot 2 days later it wouldn't do anything. You need the 7 days for the body to reset and let the lute do the work. When using lute we've almost always had good action to observe. We gave shots to 5 cows 2 days ago and our tech gave partial can of tail paint to try. We know it stays on in the rain since we have had 3.5 inches of rain in the 2 days.

We've had good luck with ABS Surebet and Beef Maker.

Latest posts