AI Sires for Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

With Select Sires I would go with Husker for red 1/2 bloods and United for black 1/2 bloods. If you wanted 3/4 blood calves I would go with Uno Mas or Grandmaster. At ABS I'll go with Dual Focus or even try out the higher percentage Dialed In, and for 3/4 blood calves I'll go with Rushmore for reds and Ranch Hand or Goldmine for blacks.

Don't forget my little babie's Daddy (Rookie) on half bloods. Not what i consider a pretty Bull but decent #s and high acc.

fitz

Slugger is a safe option. I'm assuming that you want to go back with a 50/50 simangus bull? If not then your options are limitless on the angus side and there are a few sims that would be safe.

There are probably some good Limi bulls for low birth weight as well. Just thinking a good three way cross to maximize your hybrid vigor.

inyati13":1j8z2hu3 said:
If you were selecting sires for simangus heifers (50/50 crosses) and you had to select semen from Select Sires or ABS Global which bulls would you choose?

My first question would be what is your goal? Do you want replacement heifers or just market steers? Do you know who the Simmental influence is? Any common AI sires? Does it matter if resulting calves are half bloods or 3/4?
I personally, would not use Ranch Hand. I have 10 straws in my tank, bought from ABS when they had a special several years ago, but the majority of people say his calves lack grow. Simmental cattle should be born easy and grow like gangbusters. Just what I have heard.

We really have loved our Grandmaster calves, and have several heifers AId to him for next spring, along with Upgrade.

Fire Sweep Ranch":37ixip7r said:
inyati13":37ixip7r said:
If you were selecting sires for simangus heifers (50/50 crosses) and you had to select semen from Select Sires or ABS Global which bulls would you choose?

My first question would be what is your goal? Do you want replacement heifers or just market steers? Do you know who the Simmental influence is? Any common AI sires? Does it matter if resulting calves are half bloods or 3/4?
I personally, would not use Ranch Hand. I have 10 straws in my tank, bought from ABS when they had a special several years ago, but the majority of people say his calves lack grow. Simmental cattle should be born easy and grow like gangbusters. Just what I have heard.

We really have loved our Grandmaster calves, and have several heifers AId to him for next spring, along with Upgrade.

I have big cows but I am going a little smaller with my heifers (1200 to 1300 pounds when grown, a couple of my 8 year old cows are 2000 pounds, and that is a fact). My first goal on the heifers is CE that is why I am using Top Hand. Their first calves will go to slaughter. Only one of the heifers is purebred, Simmental. The rest I raised or are the offspring of bred simangus heifers I bought from Rocking P. Since I am currently a commercial operation, I did not get their pedigree from Keith.

Here is the purebred:
iomer4.jpg

Yep, just what I would expect from that pedigree ;-)
I would also register her calves, especially if you use one of the bulls I suggested. So is she confirmed bred?

Fire Sweep Ranch":2bz038qh said:
Yep, just what I would expect from that pedigree ;-)
I would also register her calves, especially if you use one of the bulls I suggested. So is she confirmed bred?
I AIed her about 15 days ago. I think she is due to cycle on the 20th. The only Simangus semen I have in my tank at the present time is Rimrock 2501666 and IN FORCE 2593861. I am really fond of white on the simangus face. I am building a herd with that as a goal.

When I'm selecting a bull for heifers I'm looking for proven CE. Alot of the bulls listed above would scare the bjeezes out of me if my heifers were bred to them. If not because they are known not to be terribly CE but because they aren't all to proven. Over all if sticking with Gateway breeding you can usually get the calving ease and performance in one package. If you are looking to keep those resulting heifers it would be a great idea to go beyond these boards and call the breeder and/or current owner and ask them about how the calves/heifers/cows out of said bull are performing. Being in the Southeast it would be a great idea to ask about hair; cattle that don't shed early sure have a hard time on predominantly fescue pastures. That being said GW predestined 701T is in the tank and have several heifers that will be calving in less 75 days to him. I did get to see Robust sell last year at Gateway and he was a good bull (Select sires has him). He was very moderate, with great rib shape, width of base, and internal dimension but his first calves aren't even on the ground.
At ABS GW Paramount (Saw him at Origen, solid bull)
At Select SDSU In Force (Talked with Gordon Hodges from GIBBs (http://www.gibbsfarms.net/herdsires.html) and he speaks highly of the SDSU program and their culling methods)
After stating all that I do wish that both were alittle more proven and I myself at this time am pretty interested in Graduate at Genex. I wouldn't limit myself to just those studs as Simmental now has an alliance of producers joined together and selling semen on several interesting bulls.
http://alliedgeneticresources.com/semen_guide.php

Baldie Maker":znmk269t said:
When I'm selecting a bull for heifers I'm looking for proven CE. Alot of the bulls listed above would scare the bjeezes out of me if my heifers were bred to them. If not because they are known not to be terribly CE but because they aren't all to proven. Over all if sticking with Gateway breeding you can usually get the calving ease and performance in one package. If you are looking to keep those resulting heifers it would be a great idea to go beyond these boards and call the breeder and/or current owner and ask them about how the calves/heifers/cows out of said bull are performing. Being in the Southeast it would be a great idea to ask about hair; cattle that don't shed early sure have a hard time on predominantly fescue pastures. That being said GW predestined 701T is in the tank and have several heifers that will be calving in less 75 days to him. I did get to see Robust sell last year at Gateway and he was a good bull (Select sires has him). He was very moderate, with great rib shape, width of base, and internal dimension but his first calves aren't even on the ground.
At ABS GW Paramount (Saw him at Origen, solid bull)
At Select SDSU In Force (Talked with Gordon Hodges from GIBBs (http://www.gibbsfarms.net/herdsires.html) and he speaks highly of the SDSU program and their culling methods)
After stating all that I do wish that both were alittle more proven and I myself at this time am pretty interested in Graduate at Genex. I wouldn't limit myself to just those studs as Simmental now has an alliance of producers joined together and selling semen on several interesting bulls.
http://alliedgeneticresources.com/semen_guide.php

Thanks for that information. I have In Force in my tank but like you say, his numbers have low accuracy at the current time. In addition, would I be better to use a straight angus for the heifers and get beyond that first calf before going to the simmental.

Wyattc02":6qaa850s said:
There are probably some good Limi bulls for low birth weight as well. Just thinking a good three way cross to maximize your hybrid vigor.

I'd have to agree. Maybe come in with a Lim-Flex50 (Limo X Angus) Check out Grassroots genetics website, there's a few good one listed.

inyati13":vomndn2j said:
Thanks for that information. I have In Force in my tank but like you say, his numbers have low accuracy at the current time. In addition, would I be better to use a straight angus for the heifers and get beyond that first calf before going to the simmental.

I think it depends as much upon the heifer as it does the bull. I don't know of at this time a tremendous amount of PB sim bulls that I'd bred heifers to but several simangus bulls that I would and really wouldn't worry. Of course there are many Angus bulls that I'd breed heifers to for CE and most definitely wouldn't worry again.
Final answer
https://herdbook.simmental.org/simmapp/ ... archAction
Ten X
or sim influenced
Lucky Charm 665k
https://herdbook.simmental.org/simmapp/ ... er=2105876
premium beef 021TS

That was kindly for demonstration purposes as there are sim genetics that can work on heifers very well and produce functional cattle. (those are just a few) Utilizing A.I. you can tap into those cattle and move forward from there. As far as using PB simmental cattle I prefer to use them on cattle 2nd calf and onward.
As far as would you be better to use straight Angus for the heifers I believe it really just depends upon the heifer.

Latest posts