AI Order

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I have selected the following bulls for my semen order. My cattle are simangus. Top Hand - for heifers, War Party, Rimrock and IN Force. In order, 7AN357, 7AN306, 7SM61, and 7SM71. I have a registered angus bull for natural breeding.

Comments welcome.

Im new to this AI stuff and wondering why did you choose tophand over future direction and composure. I am trying to decide between the three

uscott":1oslk4sh said:
Im new to this AI stuff and wondering why did you choose tophand over future direction and composure. I am trying to decide between the three

Isn't future direction positive for several genetics disorders? We have a half angus, half simm cow that is positive for NH and I am pretty sure it came from Future Direction (without looking at her papers). Just wondering why you would use a positive bull when there are a ton of good bulls out there that are not positive....

uscott":bu30fv24 said:

I didn't know about the genetic defect that Fire Sweep mentioned which would eliminate him for me. I chose Top Hand because he is the number one ranked calving ease bull. I have a small simangus heifer that I want to have the best opportunity possible to get past her first calf. She was an orphan and I raised her. She is like having a dog to play with when I go to the pasture. She also has a functional value. I can call her from anywhere and she will come. That brings the rest of the herd.

might be a different Future Direction (a simmy bull maybe?) called that. The original FD was an Angus bull in the Genex stud, he's been unavailable for several years and was hard to get even before the genetic defect doors got blown off as he was never a reliable semen producer.

robert":3j9c3sm6 said:
might be a different Future Direction (a simmy bull maybe?) called that. The original FD was an Angus bull in the Genex stud, he's been unavailable for several years and was hard to get even before the genetic defect doors got blown off as he was never a reliable semen producer.

Nope, he is Angus from 1995 (#CA Future Direction 5321 [AMC-NHC-XF]), so he is positive for AM and NH. Our cow has CA Future Direction as her maternal grandsire, and he passed on the NH to her dam and therefor to her. Since we only ever breed our halfbloods back to pure, I do not have to worry other than all of her offspring now have to be tested and all bulls will be cut if they are positive carriers. I am not sure who carried his semen, but here is a link to the Angus web site with the genetic status:
http://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl.a ... DWOw%3d%3d

This is actually one of his sons 7AN355
RAB-MR Future Direction 3407N I am glad I am on this board because I will not be using him. He is one of the top CE bulls with select sires

That son that is at select is clean of all known defects or he wouldn't be marketed as so. If you want to use him you don't need to worry with NH or AM. Hope all goes as I would particularly like to see pictures of those In Force calves. Gibbs is doing an excellent job this year of procuring some top notch bulls.

I have 60 black and black whiteface heifers that I am sync'ing and breeding in four weeks. I decided to go with Top Hand. I am selling these heifers in the fall. I decided on Top Hand based on his calving ease numbers and the fact that he is an Oregon bred bull from a reputation breeding program. The people who are my potential customers will know that reputation if not the bull. So for me the decision was more of a marketing decision than anything else.

Fire Sweep Ranch":3ehtza6d said:
robert":3ehtza6d said:

Nope, he is Angus from 1995 (#CA Future Direction 5321 [AMC-NHC-XF]), so he is positive for AM and NH. Our cow has CA Future Direction as her maternal grandsire, and he passed on the NH to her dam and therefor to her. Since we only ever breed our halfbloods back to pure, I do not have to worry other than all of her offspring now have to be tested and all bulls will be cut if they are positive carriers. I am not sure who carried his semen, but here is a link to the Angus web site with the genetic status:
http://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl.a ... DWOw%3d%3d

suggest you re-read my post, I highlighted the pertinent parts in red.....well aware he was a double carrier.

Baldie Maker":30c2yzyf said:
That son that is at select is clean of all known defects or he wouldn't be marketed as so. If you want to use him you don't need to worry with NH or AM. Hope all goes as I would particularly like to see pictures of those In Force calves. Gibbs is doing an excellent job this year of procuring some top notch bulls.
Hello, will post pictures. I am looking forward too. Thanks

All Black Angus registered bulls that are carriers can not be used for AI anymore per the American Angus Association also any calves that are potential carriers must be tested and only heifers will be registered if carriers. I have a couple Future Direction related progeny that are negative and I really do like them.

Latest posts