AI equipment

Help Support CattleToday:

Birchum

Reaction score
When you guys AI, do you have a preference for what type of gun you use as in o-ring or spiral ? Looking at buying the spiral, but want to be able to use the 1/4 cc straws and the 1/2 cc. Any certain one to stay away from if you were to buy again ?

As for sheaths, does it make a difference if you use either size straw ? I would like to make my order right the first time when I go to do the deed ;-) if you know what I mean.

I like my Kombicolor AI syringe. It has a shoulder where the sheath friction fits and you don't have problems messing with that dam o-ring. It also takes the 1/4 semen straws.

With the Kombicolor you need to order the sheath with the blue insert at the straw end. So yes the type of sheath does make a difference.

The Kombi syringe is my favorite as well. I would suggest getting sheaths that are individually wrapped also.

I use the IMV guns. I just take the O-rings and throw them away. One IMV gun will last for literally thousands of inseminations and I've never dealt with another gun that would. An IMV gun in either 1/2 or 1/4 will work with the green tipped split continental sheaths. Personally, I stay away from any gun that will fit both a 1/2 and 1/4 straw. It usually means that they won't seat either one good enough to keep it from blowing back.
If you make a mistake and get the wrong sheath for your gun, a pair of scissors can adapt any sheath to an IMV gun. :lol:

Latest posts