ai conundrum

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Two cows were cycled into standing heat which I bred ai 12 hours later.

The dilemma is that there's another cow in the mix. I had ai bred that cow 23 days prior to this incident. The two cows I cycled were clearly standing. The cow I had previously ai'd I never saw stand - but she was clearly "in the mix". If I had seen her stand I would have ai'd her again figuring she just cycled back in again after a missed ai 23 days prior. However, since I didn't see her stand, I didn't ai. I am going to draw blood today (day 30) for preg checking on that particular cow.

Any predictions? Think I should have put another straw in her?

OK I'm a green horn around here. What do you mean when you say cycled in standing heat are you injecting a drug to bring them into heat? what is meant by standing heat. and ya'll mention seeing them stand do they fall over or something does the drug make them fall.
I know I'm sounding dumb and I am to ai
just tring to learn from the ones that know.

When a person says he "cycled" the cows, that means that he gave them an injection to make them come into heat and ovulate.

When a cow comes in heat, the other cows will try to mount her and sometimes the cow coming in heat will try to mount other cows.

The cow does not fall down nor does it fall over.

Sometimes a short bred (pregnant) cow will act like a cow in heat. Her hormones change when the fertilized egg implants.

In the original poster's situation, I would say that the 23 day bred cow was just having a bit of a hormone change at the same time the other cows were coming in heat.

Standing heat means they stood when being mounted versus moving away from the animal that was trying to mount them.

My money says she was open and in heat. At around day forty five some pregnant cows will show a week false heat but by then you can tell when you get your arm into those if you're wrong. Even if you can't find a forty five day calf, they will feel like you're passing a jar of peanut butter instead of her cervix. At day twenty three even if she's pregnant she will most likely still be pregnant if you breed her again and you're wrong.

cow pollinater":1bcl4rov said:
At day twenty three even if she's pregnant she will most likely still be pregnant if you breed her again and you're wrong.

Has the cervix closed @ 23 days such that I couldn't damage anything if I did try to breed her? Seems like a tricky proposition getting up in there and risking the pregnancy that MAY be in there. Some say palpation can risk a pregnancy.

Anyway, bloods drawn - results on Wed.

thanks pretty much what I thought just had to ask to make sure of the language used
should be a topic cattle language for dummies or beginners

angus9259":p3ot73zr said:
Has the cervix closed @ 23 days such that I couldn't damage anything if I did try to breed her? Seems like a tricky proposition getting up in there and risking the pregnancy that MAY be in there. Some say palpation can risk a pregnancy.

Anyway, bloods drawn - results on Wed.
The 23 day number and the possibility of her slipping the pegnancy if you mess around in there was exactly my reason for saying to leave it alone.

Everything I've read is that about the first trimester is a risk with palpating. Thatan along wirth the fact I don't know how to palpate is the reason I blood test.

cow pollinater":18vmjrty said:
At day twenty three even if she's pregnant she will most likely still be pregnant if you breed her again and you're wrong.
I've always been told that you never try breeding a cow that you believe to be pregnant. If you get through the cervix you can do damage and abort if they were indeed bred.

My vote says the cow was bred and she is just one of those cows that always likes to be in the mix when someone else is in heat. I have a couple cows that will be in the crowd every single time.

novaman":2gyhfu0g said:
My vote says the cow was bred and she is just one of those cows that always likes to be in the mix when someone else is in heat. I have a couple cows that will be in the crowd every single time.

Had a very needy cow like that. She would stand PG or not... Must be a hormone thing.

Was at a replacement sale last month. Had a "confirmed PG" heifer that was riding everything. Another needy one?

My "needies" tend to rotate. The main thing that has me scratching my head on this one is she was so close (23 days) to when she might have been cycling back in anyway . . . otherwise I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it.

angus9259":kojh7439 said:
My "needies" tend to rotate. The main thing that has me scratching my head on this one is she was so close (23 days) to when she might have been cycling back in anyway . . . otherwise I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it.
What is her normal cycle? We chart all of the cows so we know which ones to keep an eye on.

my condrum is different.

I have been ai breeding since 1975.
Long ago lost count of the number of cows but it is thousands.
have bred at a few mass breedings.

now i am not breeding enough.

we had fifty or sixty and i could jump in every fall and go right back to it.

Last year I had three services.

Yesterday I had four and boy....... have I lost my touch.

talked to my son this morning and told him that I either had to breed more cows or quit all together as yesterday was that bad. I finally got all four passed but it was like the first day again.

your question....
I would not have bred the cow if I did not see her stand

pdfangus":2fktqngv said:
my condrum is different.

I have been ai breeding since 1975.
Long ago lost count of the number of cows but it is thousands.
have bred at a few mass breedings.

now i am not breeding enough.

we had fifty or sixty and i could jump in every fall and go right back to it.

Last year I had three services.

Yesterday I had four and boy....... have I lost my touch.

talked to my son this morning and told him that I either had to breed more cows or quit all together as yesterday was that bad. I finally got all four passed but it was like the first day again.

your question....
I would not have bred the cow if I did not see her stand
My problem is that more then 2 a day and can can hardly move my fingers.

dun":3o2fyp3q said:
My problem is that more then 2 a day and can can hardly move my fingers.

Well, that's what you're doing wrong! You're not supposed to use your fingers, you're supposed to use that little gun! :lol:

dun":3hxesdae said:
angus9259":3hxesdae said:
What is her normal cycle? We chart all of the cows so we know which ones to keep an eye on.

I was looking for her at 21 - 23 is long - not unheard of, but long. If she'd have stood I've have bred.

Latest posts