AI bull for New Design heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

J.R.

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had a favorite angus AI bull that they had successfully used on New Design influence heifers(first time calvers). I've got 10 that I need to breed his spring and was looking specifically for an easy calving bull. I was considering Northern Improvement or BC Matrix. Any suggestions?

Accelerated Genetics has a bull named HSAF Bando 1961 that has been used on heifers successfully and would be a good outcross for New Design. He's a Bando 5175 x EXT. Just my thoughts.

RAB-GAR Load Up AAA#13608406. He's throwing some dynamite calves out of New Design cows based on weanlings that I've seen this spring. My favorite heifer we had last year was Load Up x 036.

Try Connealy Freightliner. I have two heifers left to calve out of a dozen. All were bred to a son of freightliner I purchased from Circle A in Missouri. The calves are just the right size for heifers and they have grown into thick leggy calves that are black as coal. I am very pleased with the freightliner set of calves from these heifers. They are in a pasture with ten other spring calves from an OH29 sire and you can pick them out due to the color. The OH29 calves are good, but some of them show a little too much red hair before shedding. The current epd's on OH29 and Frightliner would be fine to use on heifers in my opinion.

Don't use OH29 if these are registered animals. The bull looks great but certainly has something to be desired when it comes to scrotal.

Emblazon or his newest son, Matrix might be a good choice. Keep fleshing ability at the front of your selection.

SEC":3u2gs1no said:
Don't use OH29 if these are registered animals. The bull looks great but certainly has something to be desired when it comes to scrotal.

Emblazon or his newest son, Matrix might be a good choice. Keep fleshing ability at the front of your selection.

Why not breed OH29 to some females that have had large scrotal bulls in their past generations of progeny? I can see crossing some OH29 to Freightliner in the future.

How do you know you will have bull calves that will be large scrotaled? Just because the maternal grandsire has a high scrotal EPD doesn't mean the cow is going to through large scrotal sons.

Why would you even bother with a bull that doesn't have large scrotal?
Don't tell me that he is the only bull in the world that needs to be used because of his numbers.

I can't understand what the infactuation is with using bulls who testicles you would be able to fit in a coffee cup.

You tell me.

Interestingly enough, just last week I red that a large scrotal besides cntributing to fertility in daughters also contributes to larger mature size. Why go to extremes in either direction?

dun

Connealy Freightliner would shoot that theory down, as would Alliance 6595.

I would have a hard time believing that scrotum dictates body size. How about those Limo cattle, I have seen some very large cattle.

New Trend 22D would also shoot that theory down.

I don't believe in the theory that larger scrotal cattle have larger mature size. In fact I could show you a lot of Angus that this is quite the opposite. The above bulls mentioned and I will add TC Feedom.