AI breeding partnership?

Help Support CattleToday:

brihop

Reaction score
Ever heard of someone doing an AI partnership where one partner pays for straws/service for the other partner that has the cows, with calf/calves going back to the partner that bought the straws as reimbursement? Would be a way for both to get some real high end genetics.

Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to just buy your own straws and pay for the service yourself?
Who would choose who gets what calf? How do you split up the calves? Who makes the choice as to what bull is used on what cow? Sounds to me that the guy furnishing the semen would be getting the best end of the deal.

Well, its probably a stupid idea/question in the first place. I suppose anyone with enough good cows probably has the $ to fund the AI themselves. (Wasn't thinking of AIing my cows, as the bull does that job). In my dream world theres someone out there with a brahman herd that would do a contractual AI breeding with angus gender selected straws and I can somehow contribute enough to be worth a handful of F1 heifers.

brihop":2over7g1 said:
Well, its probably a stupid idea/question in the first place. I suppose anyone with enough good cows probably has the $ to fund the AI themselves. (Wasn't thinking of AIing my cows, as the bull does that job). In my dream world theres someone out there with a brahman herd that would do a contractual AI breeding with angus gender selected straws and I can somehow contribute enough to be worth a handful of F1 heifers.

I've had the same thought. I like an f1 cow. Kinda hard for me to produce my own. I would like to select the genetics on both sides. I have a hodge poodge of a lot of different cows that I purchased as hiefers here there and yonder pursing the perfect f1 cow. It would be nice to ai some bodies cows for a hiefer or two. It's not a stupid thought.

The only way it would be worth it for the cow owner would be somewhere in the range of " I'll breed 10-15 of your cows for 1 of the heifer calfs that result"
Other than that I don't see much benefit to the cow owner. If they want to ai cows there are other ways to find someone who will do it

Yep, would have to AI a large herd to get 2-3 heifers. Situation will probably never present itself... But in my mind theres someone out there with a beautiful herd that lost their bull and either can't afford to buy another one right now or doesn't want another one around. In reality, I'll bet theres a brahman outfit out there that will do contractual breeding but you'd probably have to buy a large amount of calves and I can't afford to buy a bunch top F1s heifers at once.

Maybe you could offer to lease heifers for a year... Find one half of the equation and add your half. If I had a herd that produced big calves and someone wanted to pay me to use female sex sorted calving ease angus bulls on them I'd probably jump on it if the terms were right.

Just a number out of the hat; About 200 straws of semen equal 1 heifer if no certificates or other papers are needed?

Guess it all depends on the straw cost and service cost. Going the other way, gender selected brahman from bovine elite into Angus, list price is $75 per straw.

Not a partnership, but this is what I did with a friend/neighbor that A.I.'s his very nice commercial herd.
I wanted replacements from a breed he doesn't use. I bought and supplied the gender selected semen of bull of my breed choice to his A.I. tech and agreed to pay market price plus a $100 bonus for each heifer calf weaned that was sired by my bull. He paid the arm service fee because he already uses A.I. so it was not an additional expense for him.
I got the replacements I desired and in addition to the bonus, and saving on semen expense for him, he had the peace of mind knowing heifer calves equal calving ease. Because of lower conception rates using gender selected semen, we agreed to A.I ing 10 older cows to unsexed semen of the same bull for me, which saved me a few dollars on semen expenses too. It worked well enough that I plan on doing something similar again in a couple of years.

One way to do it would be to offer to AI the cows (and pay for Cidrs, semen, labor) with the option to buy a pick of calves at 10 cents over market (at time of weaning)
The herd owner gets a little more for the calves you pick, to make up for the inconvenience on the front end.
If you can't take them all, he still gets calves better than the clean up bull would throw.

Latest posts