Ads for cows in local paper

Help Support CattleToday:

When I was new at this game I called about an ad. I got there and the man said he had three pair for sale. Luckily I took someone with me that knew something. All the cows had little yellow stickers with numbers on them and the man said he had raised them. I was dum, but my friend wasn't!!

Dave":2sgkcvz6 said:
A person can always offer less. If the seller says no then you have to decide if are willing to pay the original asking price. You should already have made up your mind on the value of the cows before making an offer. It is possible to do this without insulting the seller.
theres no shame in making the owner a counter offer on cattle they have for sale.i go look at the cattle with a set price in my mind.an if they are worth the asking price.i wont jew the owner.but im not afraid to jew them.dont let someone sting you if you can keep from it.

bigbull338":3daxwcg3 said:
Dave":3daxwcg3 said:
A person can always offer less. If the seller says no then you have to decide if are willing to pay the original asking price. You should already have made up your mind on the value of the cows before making an offer. It is possible to do this without insulting the seller.
theres no shame in making the owner a counter offer on cattle they have for sale.i go look at the cattle with a set price in my mind.an if they are worth the asking price.i wont jew the owner.but im not afraid to jew them.dont let someone sting you if you can keep from it.

Very few times I pay asking price for anything without trying to negotiate the seller down. I try to not be offensive in my efforts to get the price down. But I will try. On cattle I use my best judgment and if I leave with the cattle they're mine. If I get burned I just try to work my way out over time. This being said, I don't like to get burned because of lies told me. Cattle buyers/sellers are just a cross section of the population. Some will lie, some won't.

I will bet there is no one posting here that hasn't made an offer on a vehicle or a piece of farm equipment, horse,etc. regardless of asking price. When we bid at an auction we are no doubt offering less than the seller would want. Why should cattle be any diifferent?

It should not be offensive to anyone for a buyer to make an offer when the asking price is unacceptable.

Which reminds me, in the future I am even thinking of including;

Krogers
Sams club
Doctor
Lawyer
pharmacy
Hospital (unless emergency) ;-)
County-Real property tax :help:
W. Mart
K. Mart
Sears
etc. ;-)

This reminds me of buying a piece of equipment a couple years ago. I offered a credit card(forgot to bring a check book)when he said it's ok. I ask...how much they were paying for the CC processing? He said about 1.25%.
I said ok...re write the bill ..less 1.25%...and I will bring a check back when I pick it up. Worked.

preston39":h3fx933o said:
I will bet there is no one posting here that hasn't made an offer on a vehicle or a piece of farm equipment, horse,etc. regardless of asking price. When we bid at an auction we are no doubt offering less than the seller would want. Why should cattle be any diifferent?

It should not be offensive to anyone for a buyer to make an offer when the asking price is unacceptable.

Krogers
Sams club
Doctor
Lawyer
pharmacy
W. Mart
K. Mart
Sears
etc. ;-)

This reminds me of buying a piece of equipment a couple years ago. I offered a credit card(forgot to bring a check book)when he said it's ok. I ask...how much they were paying for the CC processing? He said about 1.25%.
I said ok...re write the bill ..less 1.25%...and I will bring a check back when I pick it up. Worked.

Way to go!! Preston I like your style. By the way, you won't surprise some of those folks on your list; I've already Israelied some of them. I don't miss a chance. I even pulled my medicare card the other day for vet work. Never hurts to try. :lol:

Caustic Burno":j5ehkwn4 said:
Matt S":j5ehkwn4 said:
tncattle":j5ehkwn4 said:
There are about 5 ads in my local paper like this one. They are all about thhe same price, is this high or about average? Are cattle for in the paper like cars, negotiable? I don't know anything about the cows as I have not called any of the ads.

15 cow/calf pairs, & 8 bred cows. Mixed breeds. $750 per cow.

Everything is negotiable. I don't care what the price tag says.

Did you go to the sale today?

Not really as I will not be jewed in my own pasture.

AMEN Caustic, I am the same way, my normal is to make sure they know the road leads back the way they came.

Well, I'm obviously still learning the cattle business. But I've been buying/selling antique cars for about 6 years and if someone is offended by my offer and say no it don't bother me none. The way I see it: it's my money and their cows if we don't agree then so be it. I know they eventually need to sell the cows but I don't need to spend my money. But I'm not a jerk about it, I give them the respect they deserve unless they don't deserve it.

tncattle":mbu821bw said:
Well, I'm obviously still learning the cattle business. But I've been buying/selling antique cars for about 6 years and if someone is offended by my offer and say no it don't bother me none. The way I see it: it's my money and their cows if we don't agree then so be it. I know they eventually need to sell the cows but I don't need to spend my money. But I'm not a jerk about it, I give them the respect they deserve unless they don't deserve it.

tncattle, you hit the nail on the head about RESPECT, the problem comes when you get the guy who thinks he is doing you a favor by buying your cows. When I have a asking price for good quality animals and they offer me something way below what they are worth and then try to make it like they are doing you a service by taking them off your hands for this price. Thats when I show them the directions off my property.

dun":3f1t5av9 said:
Price is about right. If they're at their home farm that's ok, but too oftern jockeys pick them up at the salbarn and put together a bunch of cows and sell them the same way.

We have a guy right here in Hood County that does just that. He buys several head, puts all the baldies in one place, puts all the angus on another, group of Brangus on another, and the rest of the mix on yet another place. Then he runs adds in the paper. He is an old used car salesman and thinks he is doing everyone getting into the business a favor.

I don't mind doing a LITTLE dickering when I'm selling cattle, but there are 2 things that are deal breakers with me and those are a) somebody making an unreasonably low offer. To me they looking for something for nothing. Make a reasonable offer and I may be more inclined to negotiate and b) don't tell me even in the your most polite manner that I'm lying. If I tell you what a calf weighs, you can take it to the bank.

I had a friend of my husband do both of those things to me last month and it did nothing but tick me off. I finally asked him if I looked like I was running a charity farm and told him I didn't appreciate him calling me a liar. In the end, I sold the heifer to someone else a week later for just a few dollars less than what I asked and she weighed what I said she did.

Duck

Up here you pretty much know who will be running a ad the following weekend just by the cows that get loaded into his trailer. There are a few who turn sale barn cows around that way. I tell folks to buy from a breeder that they know or gets recommended. Get a laugh when you see the cattle in pastures that still have the sale barn tag on them.
And that' just my two bits worth...DMc

preston39":2r8csb7o said:

Krogers
Sams club
Doctor
Lawyer
pharmacy
W. Mart
K. Mart
Sears
etc. ;-)

I get guys all the time who try and pull that scam also. Doesnt fly around here. The credit card payment will be in my account the following night, your check will take 4-5 days to show up in my account , even on a local bank. You want the 1.7% discount, then bring cash.

eric":x8k8pfv5 said:
preston39":x8k8pfv5 said:

Krogers
Sams club
Doctor
Lawyer
pharmacy
W. Mart
K. Mart
Sears
etc. ;-)

I get guys all the time who try and pull that scam also. Doesnt fly around here. The credit card payment will be in my account the following night, your check will take 4-5 days to show up in my account , even on a local bank. You want the 1.7% discount, then bring cash.

If the check is good. For me a CC fee is like insurance. Either the card is good or not, but I know right there.

Dave":20foc4de said:

Dave it is too late then. You'd better have already made up your mind long before. I had a guy dicker on a piece of real estate. I was asking $25K. He said "I'll take it" so I turned down other callers. Then he came back with another offer and I said "No". He called the next day and tried it again. I told him I'd put it back in the paper and hung up on him. I wouldn't talk to him for a week and he kept on calling. I finally got on the phone and told him the price went up $3K and if he wanted it and had me a check in the a.m. he could have it. Otherwise he was harassing me. If he was to argue the $28K we were done forever and ever. I took the $28K and I don't speak to him.

Caustic is dead on. If you are always trying to get something for nothing or take advantage of someone who needs some money, I'd just as soon not even know you. This is not a car lot. I don't have time to sit around and dicker. There's work to be done. If you don't like my prices for hay or anything else, don't come on my place.

If you can't trust me, I can't trust you.

preston39":3koa1aav said:

Krogers
Sams club
Doctor
Lawyer
pharmacy
W. Mart
K. Mart
Sears
etc. ;-)

If I had someone try that CC line with me I would look at them like they been hit with a stupid stick! Red flags would fly and it now becomes cash only. On a $700 heifer, your asking me to dicount $8.75. No way to deal in my opinion.

JMO,
Alan

When I'm looking to buy, I already know what I'm willing to spend, and what they are wanting before I see the cattle. So if I make an offer it will be just off their asking price, not a rediculous low offer. Many times, with all things I'm looking to buy, if the price is fair I pay it without a counter offer, fair is fair. If they are priced too high I say thanks and walk. In our local paper there has been an ad for some time, Jersy cow and bull calf, $1700, I would never even call on that, so why make an lower offer.

JMO,
Alan

Do you all get offended if someone politely asks if you will take any less or is it the person who keeps on and on about it? I can't imagine someone getting ticked from a person who just asks once politely. I would not want to do business with someone who is that persnickity.

I bought some things from a lady one time-paid asking prices no negotiating. As I was leaving I heard her tell someone that she always prices her things higher than what she really wants so she can come down on the price. So after that I ask and I usually price things like that also.

I don't mind a counter offer, as long as it's reasonable. If they ask more than twice I tend to get shorter and sharper with my answers.

What I hate is the people out to look, like they are at a garage sale, no intention of buying just snooping.

Alan

Gate Opener said:
Do you all get offended if someone politely asks if you will take any less or is it the person who keeps on and on about it? I can't imagine someone getting ticked from a person who just asks once politely. I would not want to do business with someone who is that persnickity.

quote]

I agree

Latest posts