Ads for cows in local paper

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
There are about 5 ads in my local paper like this one. They are all about thhe same price, is this high or about average? Are cattle for in the paper like cars, negotiable? I don't know anything about the cows as I have not called any of the ads.

15 cow/calf pairs, & 8 bred cows. Mixed breeds. $750 per cow.

tncattle":fbgno2l1 said:
There are about 5 ads in my local paper like this one. They are all about thhe same price, is this high or about average? Are cattle for in the paper like cars, negotiable? I don't know anything about the cows as I have not called any of the ads.
One good thing about classified Cattle, is most of the time they are straight off the Farm, and have not been exposed to stockyard diseases.

Thats about right from the paper here. I woudl probably try and get those pairs. I might pass on the cows. Exposed dont mean a whole lot inthe bigger picture. Maybe you could bounce them and see what comes back.

Price is about right. If they're at their home farm that's ok, but too oftern jockeys pick them up at the salbarn and put together a bunch of cows and sell them the same way.

tncattle":3c2er5s1 said:
Does that mean cow/calf pairs are $750 or $750 for a calf and $750 for a cow?

Usually means pair. Don't think you could get $750 for a calf that was still nursing - wish you could 'cause I'd have about $30K in my pocket right now.

dun":3ccjm1f0 said:
Price is about right. If they're at their home farm that's ok, but too oftern jockeys pick them up at the salbarn and put together a bunch of cows and sell them the same way.

Is there any way to tell(besides the bald spot) if they were previous salebarn cows?

tncattle":1wv3x753 said:

Everything is negotiable. I don't care what the price tag says.

Did you go to the sale today?

Matt S":1y17rwa0 said:
tncattle":1y17rwa0 said:

No I didn't go to the sale today, it was next Monday when I was gonna try and go. I think the the 19th. Are you going?

Matt S":3ob38cvi said:
tncattle":3ob38cvi said:

Not really as I will not be jewed in my own pasture.

Caustic Burno":h80xvv84 said:
Matt S":h80xvv84 said:
tncattle":h80xvv84 said:

I'm with you on that one Caustic. When I set a price, I believe it to be fair to both me and the buyer.

I will not come off it even for $10.

If I don't know the person and how they set their price I will always ask if that is the least they will take. Some people will put a higher price on something so they can come down if a person asks. I think just about anytime we have sold something people have asked if we would take less. I don't get offended.

Caustic Burno":2veecccn said:
Matt S":2veecccn said:
tncattle":2veecccn said:

I won't sit here behind a computer and argue with you, but if I come to your place looking to buy your cattle, you can bet that I will pay what we both agree they are worth, and it will require negotiations. Cattle ain't worth nothing if your buyers won't pay your price.

tncattle":1asee67x said:
Matt S":1asee67x said:
tncattle":1asee67x said:

No I didn't go to the sale today, it was next Monday when I was gonna try and go. I think the the 19th. Are you going?

I doubt it. Just depends on what I have to do that day.

dun":2zdg1p87 said:

I'd say at least half the ads around here are from traders like that. Go look at them, check their ears. They've either all had their eartags cut out, all have fresh ones, or all have different ones. And if you'll have a look around the owner's barn, there's usually a pile of buttons beside his headcatch.

I've bought some like that before, absolute biggest mistake I've ever made. Even worse than putting my tongue on the...

cfpinz

cfpinz":1umabj4f said:
dun":1umabj4f said:

I'd say at least half the ads around here are from traders like that. Go look at them, check their ears. They've either all had their eartags cut out, all have fresh ones, or all have different ones. And if you'll have a look around the owner's barn, there's usually a pile of buttons beside his headcatch.

I've bought some like that before, absolute biggest mistake I've ever made. Even worse than putting my tongue on the...

cfpinz

At least you didn;t pee on the magneto

Matt S":3kvzrv7a said:
Caustic Burno":3kvzrv7a said:
Matt S":3kvzrv7a said:
tncattle":3kvzrv7a said:

I won't sit here behind a computer and argue with you, but if I come to your place looking to buy your cattle, you can bet that I will pay what we both agree they are worth, and it will require negotiations. Cattle ain't worth nothing if your buyers won't pay your price.

Won't be any negotiations I would ask you if a bulldozer followed you here when you replied no I would tell you the road you came in aint tore up.
Plenty of repeat buyers here without having to put up with the BS.

I would say that it depends on the situation. If they're a put together bunch I might would try to israely them down, if they're farm rasied I wouldn't. Had a gent try to dicker once so I added 50 bucks a head to the calves price.

A person can always offer less. If the seller says no then you have to decide if are willing to pay the original asking price. You should already have made up your mind on the value of the cows before making an offer. It is possible to do this without insulting the seller.

Latest posts