ABS Sim bull CONSERVATIVE

Help Support CattleToday:

ozzyo70

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm thinking of using this bull and I'm wondering if anyone has used him and what your thoughts are. I would like to use him heifers. Any thoughts?

Thanks

......Or would ABS Lucky Man be a better option?

2300 pounds and frame 7-8? Conservative is not the proper name! I can think of a few more appropriate ones.

If those are the only choices, Lucky Man would get the nod here - only concern for me is him being a spotting gene carrier - but I'm still considering using him at some point for ribeye & tenderness - but I've got to get a few more generations away from the spotted bulls I used in the past.
Conservative's -3 MCE takes him off my list right out of the box, as I'm always breeding with an eye toward what a bull's daughters will do, while making sure their steer counterparts are not throw-aways. Unless I'm breeding terminal calves with no intention of keeping replacements, I'm not using anything will MCE below breed average.

Sure Bet has worked well here on heifers - I've only gotten daughters from him - and he will downsize frame score, if that's a concern. His MCE dropped from >10 to 3.4 after we used him, so he's off the table for the time being, but there's still a LOT that I like about him.
Would use Beef Maker in a second, if my farm manager would let me use a red Simmental bull again.

The more I thought about the -3 is not really some something I want since we try at least a couple of our AI heifers. We don't AI that many but we still like to like choose 3 bulls to use on heifers and what ever cows we can catch at the right time. We have used Surebet before with good results. Right now we are going to use Beef Maker and Hoosier. We have used both before and like really like both. This is our first year with Hoosier calves and we like them so far. We're just looking for one more. The reason I was looking at Lucky Man and Con. was because we had a Dream ON son and Bettis son for herd bulls and I was just looking at something a little different. We also got 1 Rushmore bull calf this year and he looks pretty good so far so I think we'll be using him in the future.

Thanks for the Response

Hi there,
I'm thinking of using this bull and I'm wondering if anyone has used him and what your thoughts are. I would like to use him heifers. Any thoughts?

Thanks

......Or would ABS Lucky Man be a better option?

I wouldn't use Conservative on heifers or Lucky Man -- the real goal for breeding heifers is to get them into the production mode > breed right away, calve unassisted, breed back on time while still maturing --- this is enough to expect from a heifer --dontcha think?

Her first calf she has wont be the best ever has in her productive life (some have great ones, but not the norm). for PBSM calving ease https://herdbook.simmental.org/simm...ntSubmit_displayAnimal=T&animalNumber=2605948

As a 3 yr old you can push the CE and BW a little, but for the first calving why not make her calving an easy one.

If you want a Lucky Man calf you can go with GW Lucky Boy > https://herdbook.simmental.org/simm...ntSubmit_displayAnimal=T&animalNumber=2471391

or go to Lucky Mans' SIre --- GW Lucky Charm >https://herdbook.simmental.org/simm...ntSubmit_displayAnimal=T&animalNumber=2105876

Latest posts