AAA

Help Support CattleToday:

alexfarms":33on9o9y said:
It's called common sense and yes, I do read others posts before I respond. A CEO doesn't fire 15 employees and then complain about having created "challenging times". Cow numbers are down across the country. AHA raised its fees last fall, they'll probably do it again. Most CEOs are overpaid and most of the low men on the totum pole are underpaid.

Go read about what actually happened and the reasons it was carried out instead of applying your "common sense" I don't read the statement issues as complaining it is informing of membership of a change in who is going to be dealing with them on a daily basis and to expect some challenges as they replace the staff. You're are trying to talk about something that has no place in the discussion of these events.[/quote]

I have as much right as u to respond and speculate. Anybody with an ounce of common sense can see this is about money.[/quote]

I must be missing that ounce then.

Jake":sdejxwli said:
alexfarms":sdejxwli said:
It's called common sense and yes, I do read others posts before I respond. A CEO doesn't fire 15 employees and then complain about having created "challenging times". Cow numbers are down across the country. AHA raised its fees last fall, they'll probably do it again. Most CEOs are overpaid and most of the low men on the totum pole are underpaid.

Go read about what actually happened and the reasons it was carried out instead of applying your "common sense" I don't read the statement issues as complaining it is informing of membership of a change in who is going to be dealing with them on a daily basis and to expect some challenges as they replace the staff. You're are trying to talk about something that has no place in the discussion of these events.

I have as much right as u to respond and speculate. Anybody with an ounce of common sense can see this is about money.[/quote]

I must be missing that ounce then.[/quote]

Well you've proven you don't know how to delete previous quotes, so yes you my not have even an ounce sense.

alexfarms":185dn8od said:
Well you've proven you don't know how to delete previous quotes, so yes you my not have even an ounce sense.

Amazing the things you learn about yourself on the internet. :roll:

I apologize to the OP for deviating the thread and allowing it to become a fight. May need to restart the actual conversation pertaining to the AAA.

Chuck Grove has been there for decades....I went to School with him at Va Tech....
I have not seen or talked to him in twenty years though....but he was always a good guy....

Jake":12wyt1iv said:
alexfarms":12wyt1iv said:

Amazing the things you learn about yourself on the internet. :roll:

I apologize to the OP for deviating the thread and allowing it to become a fight. May need to restart the actual conversation pertaining to the AAA.[/

Yes, Jake apologizes to the "OP" for being more interested in making personal attacks than discussing the issue at the top of the thread.

alexfarms":1u3jetdm said:

With all due respect sir "That's Horse Shyt". I'm sure there are some...but "most"..Most folks are paid about what they are worth and if they think they aren't getting it they're stupid for not leaving and going somewhere else so they can certainly get paid "what they are worth".

pdfangus":3v3swbw1 said:
Chuck Grove has been there for decades....I went to School with him at Va Tech....
I have not seen or talked to him in twenty years though....but he was always a good guy....

I hate this Chuck was our guy here in Ky and always was a good guy and kept auctions fun and lively

The Letter
March 21,2014
To: Officers and Directors, American Angus Association

We write this letter at a time of stress at the American Angus Association, and make this attempt to communicate the desperation felt relative to the future of the Association by many concerned employees. This is a difficult letter to write and provide to the Board of Directors, but we believe conveying a formal complaint against the Chief Executive Officer cannot be delayed any further. The current situation is not healthy for the organization, and this environment ultimately jeopardizes the ability to provide the services and support expected and deserved by a loyal membership.
As a staff, we have tried to maintain and cultivate a positive, professional approach in dealing with our membership and the industry. The commitment to always put the best foot forward has likely provided a false impression of the working relationships at the Association, not only to our members, but especially to you, the Board of Directors. We are faced with a deteriorating culture and the staff morale is spiraling downward. There is a complete lack of confidence, trust, and respect for the CEO's ability to provide the leadership and atmosphere needed to maintain, let alone grow, the relevance of this organization.
The CEO is not a strategic planner, but reacts to circumstances and events. There is an apparent lack of preparation and a failure to work together in all planned events, even regularly scheduled Board meetings. This absence of planning is worsened by indecision, which also creates additional frustration for all involved. Without confident direction on a regular basis, staff motivation and efficiency is unachievable. The procrastination, indecisiveness, and apparent lack of purpose by the CEO further hampers productivity.
The use of the word team has been grossly abused the past few years at the American Angus Association. The CEO has not broken down walls to foster a real team, but instead has continued to foster a divisive approach at the top of this organization. A combative mentality has developed and is destroying the organization.
As we contemplate the characteristics necessary to lead a 50 million dollar business forward, it requires someone who displays selfless dedication, work ethic and passion for the breed and the organization. Strategic vision, and the ability to share that vision with a unified team is a necessary requirement. The CEO has been given ample opportunity to unify a dedicated staff with common goals, but has failed to make improvement in this area.
A challenging atmosphere takes its toll in other fashions. We have seen dedicated colleagues, because of the existing environment, seek other employment opportunities. We are on the brink of expanded attrition unless steps are taken. We cannot afford the loss of valuable employees due to the deteriorating culture and environment.
The dedicated breeders of the American Angus Association deserve better for their investment. We all believed that given time, operations would improve, or else arrive at a point that the need for change would become obvious to all. Four years ago, a fellow staff member asked, "At what point are we as staff considered negligent by the Board and our membership if we fail to communicate just what the situation is like here in the office?" That time has arrived. We feel it is our fiduciary duty as a staff to voice our lack of confidence in the performance of the CEO and request his removal before the situation deteriorates further.
We bring our concerns to you because we care about the Angus breed, our breeders and their future. We all intend to continue providing service to the American Angus Association without interruption. Thank you for your consideration of this formal complaint.

Sincerely,

The following Association staff (and their years of service):

Jerry Cassady, 22 years
Chris Stallo, 17 years
Vern Frey, 10 years
Don Laughlin, 34 years
Matt Caldwell, 16 years
Robin Ruff, 6 years
Chuck Grove, 39 years
Lou Ann Adams, 31 years
Matt Printz, 10 years
Sally Northcutt, 11 years
Wes Tiemann, 6 years
Scott Johnson, 18 years
Richard Dyar, 35 years
Bill Bowman, 22 years
Rod Wesselman, 21 years

The Vote:

Votes to keep Schumann:
1. Watkins
2. Sankey
3. Sawyer
4. Silveira
5. Boyd
6. Howell
7. Meyer
8. Burke
9. Harrell
10. McDonnell

Votes to fire Schumann:

1. Sitz
2. Schroeder
3. Foster
4. Pfeiffer
5. Yon
6. Schiefelbein

http://www.angus.org/pub/newsroom/relea ... enter.aspx

HughesFamilyCattle":3b3ck34p said:
pdfangus":3b3ck34p said:

I hate this Chuck was our guy here in Ky and always was a good guy and kept auctions fun and lively
Yea, I always enjoyed seeing him at sales. Overall not sure how he compared to other field guys but seemed like good guy.

alexfarms":3vh8wour said:
The Letter
March 21,2014
To: Officers and Directors, American Angus Association

We write this letter at a time of stress at the American Angus Association, and make this attempt to communicate the desperation felt relative to the future of the Association by many concerned employees. This is a difficult letter to write and provide to the Board of Directors, but we believe conveying a formal complaint against the Chief Executive Officer cannot be delayed any further. The current situation is not healthy for the organization, and this environment ultimately jeopardizes the ability to provide the services and support expected and deserved by a loyal membership.
As a staff, we have tried to maintain and cultivate a positive, professional approach in dealing with our membership and the industry. The commitment to always put the best foot forward has likely provided a false impression of the working relationships at the Association, not only to our members, but especially to you, the Board of Directors. We are faced with a deteriorating culture and the staff morale is spiraling downward. There is a complete lack of confidence, trust, and respect for the CEO's ability to provide the leadership and atmosphere needed to maintain, let alone grow, the relevance of this organization.
The CEO is not a strategic planner, but reacts to circumstances and events. There is an apparent lack of preparation and a failure to work together in all planned events, even regularly scheduled Board meetings. This absence of planning is worsened by indecision, which also creates additional frustration for all involved. Without confident direction on a regular basis, staff motivation and efficiency is unachievable. The procrastination, indecisiveness, and apparent lack of purpose by the CEO further hampers productivity.
The use of the word team has been grossly abused the past few years at the American Angus Association. The CEO has not broken down walls to foster a real team, but instead has continued to foster a divisive approach at the top of this organization. A combative mentality has developed and is destroying the organization.
As we contemplate the characteristics necessary to lead a 50 million dollar business forward, it requires someone who displays selfless dedication, work ethic and passion for the breed and the organization. Strategic vision, and the ability to share that vision with a unified team is a necessary requirement. The CEO has been given ample opportunity to unify a dedicated staff with common goals, but has failed to make improvement in this area.
A challenging atmosphere takes its toll in other fashions. We have seen dedicated colleagues, because of the existing environment, seek other employment opportunities. We are on the brink of expanded attrition unless steps are taken. We cannot afford the loss of valuable employees due to the deteriorating culture and environment.
The dedicated breeders of the American Angus Association deserve better for their investment. We all believed that given time, operations would improve, or else arrive at a point that the need for change would become obvious to all. Four years ago, a fellow staff member asked, "At what point are we as staff considered negligent by the Board and our membership if we fail to communicate just what the situation is like here in the office?" That time has arrived. We feel it is our fiduciary duty as a staff to voice our lack of confidence in the performance of the CEO and request his removal before the situation deteriorates further.
We bring our concerns to you because we care about the Angus breed, our breeders and their future. We all intend to continue providing service to the American Angus Association without interruption. Thank you for your consideration of this formal complaint.

Sincerely,

The following Association staff (and their years of service):

Jerry Cassady, 22 years
Chris Stallo, 17 years
Vern Frey, 10 years
Don Laughlin, 34 years
Matt Caldwell, 16 years
Robin Ruff, 6 years
Chuck Grove, 39 years
Lou Ann Adams, 31 years
Matt Printz, 10 years
Sally Northcutt, 11 years
Wes Tiemann, 6 years
Scott Johnson, 18 years
Richard Dyar, 35 years
Bill Bowman, 22 years
Rod Wesselman, 21 years

The Vote:

Votes to keep Schumann:
1. Watkins
2. Sankey
3. Sawyer
4. Silveira
5. Boyd
6. Howell
7. Meyer
8. Burke
9. Harrell
10. McDonnell

Votes to fire Schumann:

1. Sitz
2. Schroeder
3. Foster
4. Pfeiffer
5. Yon
6. Schiefelbein

http://www.angus.org/pub/newsroom/relea ... enter.aspx
What does the plans for a communication center have to do with this? Just asking as I don't see the connection.

The surprise is there were fifteen signatures on the letter to the Directors and apparently only 12 were dismissed. Deserved or not, letters like that usually get the signors fired. The CEO almost always has a decent existing relationship with those directors while staff rarely has personal interactions with them. They absolutely had to know the odds were overwhelmingly high that they would be fired.

The letter itself made several accusations but failed to provide any detail about incidents or failures that would support those accusations. "The CEO has not broken down walls to build a real team but instead continues to foster...." sounds whiny to me.

Dega Moo":325tdn66 said:
The surprise is there were fifteen signatures on the letter to the Directors and apparently only 12 were dismissed. Deserved or not, letters like that usually get the signors fired. The CEO almost always has a decent existing relationship with those directors while staff rarely has personal interactions with them. They absolutely had to know the odds were overwhelmingly high that they would be fired.

The letter itself made several accusations but failed to provide any detail about incidents or failures that would support those accusations. "The CEO has not broken down walls to build a real team but instead continues to foster...." sounds whiny to me.
Hey Dega, what'd you think of Cassady? I have never talked to him, only see him at sales and the like ...

torogmc81":3d0rm19s said:
Dega Moo":3d0rm19s said:

Hey Dega, what'd you think of Cassady? I have never talked to him, only see him at sales and the like ...

Don't know him, not sure I ever met him. We're AAA members but right now our priority is on commercial, getting that straightened out.

For all I know the staff had legit complaints but successful overthrows of the palace are so very rare. I'm really curious about the role of the COO in this entire fiasco. The COO would have or should have had some exposure to the Board and I would expect he had some inkling of how the board would vote, or maybe was misled as to how they would vote. You would have to expect that the COO was the leader of the rebellion, I can't imagine he just said "sure I'll sign your petition." So what was his role tearing down those walls? or building them? Why didn't he tell these people... let me handle this - I'll take it to the board, you keep your nose clean and your job safe? Did someone on the Board of Directors put him up to this?

Are we going to see some changes within the ranks of the directors sometime soon?

well as a life member....I am disappointed that a board of directors would not at least do some investigation into a letter that critical and signed by that many long term staffers.....

The breed has enough problems to overcome from the outside genetics problems brought in decades ago in a quest for framier cattle and then the quest for carcass epds....

Although it seems that many breeders are returning to the few foundation herds remaining as genetic resources in an effort to rid themselves of problems.

But an attempted coup of this magnitude should have all the alarm bells ringing and not bring about a closing of the ranks of the directors to protect their chosen one....

you will find out that this whole deal was engineered by some BOD and staff to oust the CEO, if the whole truth ever comes out there will be some BOD being asked to resign. The letter itself is a gutless, whiny piece of garbage. No specific complaints, no specific examples of mismanagement to be cited as reasons to fire the CEO, no smoking gun. The CEO was put in this position of dealing with a mutiny, the BOD acted to endorse the CEO and dismiss the complainants. I heard last night that the BOD is about to undo all this and maybe fire the CEO after all, that would be a real travesty and disservice to the membership.

It is ruthless at the top isn't it? Makes a person appreciate the simplicity of going out to check the cows first thing in the morning.

Latest posts