AAA EPD’s NOT reporting progeny ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
Noticed one of my cows is not showing progeny. She has had several calves reported by her previous owner and by myself. I called AAA and they could not figure out what the issue is. It's been two weeks and they haven't called me back or fixed it. Anyone have any ideas ? Her reg# is 14845281

Richnm said:
Noticed one of my cows is not showing progeny. She has had several calves reported by her previous owner and by myself. I called AAA and they could not figure out what the issue is. It's been two weeks and they haven't called me back or fixed it. Anyone have any ideas ? Her reg# is 14845281
I don't have an answer for you, but I have a couple of cows that are in similar situations. One cow has had seven calves, all of which I registered, but her AAA registration only shows four progeny. Another cow, a 9-year-old, is missing two of her progeny on her registration. Don't know what's up, but I've wondered why they aren't all represented.

Richnm said:

Rich

Call them. I am in the American Simmental Association. I have my herd enrolled in THE (Total Herd Enrollment). To be in compliance, you have to enter the progeny. When I submit birthweights, calving ease, sires, etc. I sometimes look at my herd book and see a glitch. I call the Association. They have been amazing in determining the error. It is usually forgetting to request registration in the box that just requires a "Y". Or something of that nature. When the glitch is fixed, my herd book corrects.

They finally called me back. The previous owner had calves set up in contemporary groups by themselves , this prevented the data from reporting all these years. They said they fixed it. It should update today.

Richnm said:
They finally called me back. The previous owner had calves set up in contemporary groups by themselves , this prevented the data from reporting all these years. They said they fixed it. It should update today.

I might just be having good luck but I have called ASA a bunch of times, I have always gotten through to a live staff member and in every case they have been very competent.

While I had them on the line I asked about dna testing and if the dna test can determine the breed of the animal. They said no. Which makes me believe that a some breeders have crossed breeds to impact epds (hybrid vigor).

Richnm said:
While I had them on the line I asked about dna testing and if the dna test can determine the breed of the animal. They said no. Which makes me believe that a some breeders have crossed breeds to impact epds (hybrid vigor).

I have always heard that it can't, but you would think with AAA superior record keeping and large collection of DNA samples, they could figure it out.

Richnm said:

Those 800 lb Angus bulls of the 70's didn't get to a ton overnight without some help. Be like some of those green papered Herefords that got eye pigment overnight pushing 3k lbs.